Benjamin W. Latham (Model Shipway 1:48) by Fred P. [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello all,
Since I finished building "The Confederacy" I started the Benjamin W. Latham, 1902 Mackerel Fishing Schooner. The kit is quite minimalist. There are plans and wood (basswood) as well as some Britanium fittings. The assembly instructions are interesting because on the one hand there are the details of the real ship and on the other hand the way to simplify the assembly if necessary. Only the frames and the keel are pre-cut by laser. Everything else is to be built by hand.
I started construction at the beginning of December and I am currently making the sails. I'm posting some pictures of the different stages but everything is almost finished.

First, the contents of the box:
Benjamin Latham 001.jpgBenjamin Latham 002.jpgBenjamin Latham 003.jpg

The assembly of the structure is quite classic:
Benjamin Latham 007.jpgBenjamin Latham 008.jpgBenjamin Latham 014.jpg

The planking:

Benjamin Latham 017.jpgBenjamin Latham 021.jpgBenjamin Latham 024.jpgBenjamin Latham 027.jpg

The rest of the assembly just after...

Fred

The shooner has one dory and one longboat. The dory is not provided in the kit but it is on the plan so I built it scratch.

Benjamin Latham 100.jpgBenjamin Latham 101.jpgBenjamin Latham 103.jpgBenjamin Latham 107.jpg

For the longboat, the keel and the frames to form a mold are provided, but the mold obtained is not correct. I had to make a lot of modifications to get a longboat worthy of the name...

Benjamin Latham 109.jpgBenjamin Latham 116.jpgBenjamin Latham 117.jpgBenjamin Latham 123.jpgBenjamin Latham 124.jpgBenjamin Latham 130.jpgBenjamin Latham 133.jpg

To be continued...

Best regards,
Fred

Hello Fred,

Great work on your Benjamin Latham. Yours is the best rendition I have ever seen. The Latham was the first wooden ship I built.

Bill

good work on the model - you are ona a very good way

Very fine craftsmanship on hull, deck and deck furniture (in my opinion). Mike

Très belle réalisation tout en finesse j'aime beaucoup votre bateau.
Je ne devrais pas tarder à recevoir le Bluenose de YuanQing qui ressemble beaucoup au votre
Dominique
(je suis de la région lyonnaise)

Your metalwork is as fine as your carpentry! That nibbed in king plank is impressive….

Your build pics are really very instructive, set a high bar for craftmanship and of impressive skill and quality! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see more.
In fact ,quite a tutorial!

Last edited:
The shooner has one dory and one longboat. The dory is not provided in the kit but it is on the plan so I built it scratch.

View attachment 368918View attachment 368919View attachment 368920View attachment 368921

For the longboat, the keel and the frames to form a mold are provided, but the mold obtained is not correct. I had to make a lot of modifications to get a longboat worthy of the name...

View attachment 368922View attachment 368925View attachment 368926View attachment 368927View attachment 368928View attachment 368929View attachment 368930

To be continued...

Best regards,
Fred
Very nice work, particularly the deck planking which looks very crisp.

Hello everyone,
I started the rigging of the boat, as well as the making of the sails:

Benjamin Latham 134.jpg

Benjamin Latham 135.jpg

Benjamin Latham 136.jpg

Benjamin Latham 137.jpg

Benjamin Latham 139.jpg

Benjamin Latham 140.jpg

Benjamin Latham 141.jpg

Benjamin Latham 142.jpg

Benjamin Latham 143.jpg

Benjamin Latham 144.jpg

All blocks, shackles, ropes, and sails are made manually...
On the other hand, the heart thimbles are 3D printed.

I am currently in the process of tensioning the shrouds and the stays. Little work remains to finish construction.

Best regards.

Fred

Back