Black Pearl 2021 Golden Version

you love Harley, Hot Rods, purple / pink ships and your daughter
So I am pretty sure, that you will love also the building of the Black Pearl - > I wish you a lot of fun
We will have it following your building log
Many Thanks for starting the log

you love Harley, Hot Rods, purple / pink ships and your daughter
So I am pretty sure, that you will love also the building of the Black Pearl - > I wish you a lot of fun
We will have it following your building log
Many Thanks for starting the log
I'm excited about doing it. Looking forward to the experience. It's started to rain today here in California so that is the green light for me. Just so you know that is my granddaughter and we were at the Dickens fair last Christmas.
I couldn't wait and had to cut out a couple of pieces before I went to bed last night. I had that saw blade in my tools worked good on the large panel. May not fit on the smaller ones. Off and running.

20231113_200412.jpg

20231113_201646.jpg

20231113_200559.jpg

20231113_205634.jpg

Hi captain J
I built this kit a few years ago it was fun to do and got me back into the hobby after a 25+ year layoff. Check out my log there's a lot of photos of my progress and I'm happy to help if you need it.

View attachment 407066

Tony
What a great job. I don't know where to start. The rigging and the sails are impressive. The planking ect...

Hi
Have the bulkheads been glued together and are you going to install lights? Its virtually impossible to get the deck in place with bulkhead 6 glued in place and I found it very difficult to drill the holes for the wires with everything glued together.
My tip would be to drill access holes for the wires before gluing the parts together. When gluing the bulkheads just dry fit bulkhead 6 and the deck (the deck will help keep the other bulkheads in place) when the glue has set bulkhead 6 and the deck can be glued in together.
Hope this helps.
Tony

Hi
Have the bulkheads been glued together and are you going to install lights? Its virtually impossible to get the deck in place with bulkhead 6 glued in place and I found it very difficult to drill the holes for the wires with everything glued together.
My tip would be to drill access holes for the wires before gluing the parts together. When gluing the bulkheads just dry fit bulkhead 6 and the deck (the deck will help keep the other bulkheads in place) when the glue has set bulkhead 6 and the deck can be glued in together.
Hope this helps.
Tony
Thanks. Nothing is glued yet. I am planning on a few lights lanterns, captain quarters and under grates. I have the holes marked. I was planning to use some copper tubing for the lanterns. Any thoughts? I got 3mm yellow flickering pre wired lights. The resistors and wire already done. Sounded easier will see. I will take a pic and post. Thanks all help appreciated.

Thanks. Nothing is glued yet. I am planning on a few lights lanterns, captain quarters and under grates. I have the holes marked. I was planning to use some copper tubing for the lanterns. Any thoughts? I got 3mm yellow flickering pre wired lights. The resistors and wire already done. Sounded easier will see. I will take a pic and post. Thanks all help appreciated.
I used the flickering LEDs as well and I am pleased with the way they look. The lanterns are very delicate, I used the kit parts but the Neptune figures needed trimming to suit. I drilled the wire holes for the lanterns through the last bulkhead. Copper tubing would be an improvement. My LEDs for the stern gallery where placed in the ceiling this was much harder to do but it looks a lot better.
Tony

Still no glue. I did drill holes where I think I need them. I think I am going to use copper tubing for lantern risers. Got some staining done. I went with Red Mahogany. I want to go with black accents. I am going to give some gold leafing a try, that should be fun.

20231115_152625.jpg

20231115_152604.jpg

20231115_152615.jpg

Very good model. The ship is great, even painted all black it looks amazing. I will be watching the construction with interest!
Try applying slightly black stain diluted with water to this red mahogany, it will give an amazing shadow on the red wood.

O k, my first head scratcher. I got this power source. And I wired a couple of LED's and plugged it in and it's not working. I got 1 to come on but it wouldn't stay on. Faulty unit? User error?

20231117_100822.jpg

LEDs are voltage sensitive so you may have over powered just two.

Try using an AAA battery to see if they light, it may be dim but they should light, and as you may know they also need to wired with + and - properly connected, which it looks right in your photo.

In my Model Railroad hobby normally the LEDs have a resister inline to reduce the voltage to get needed brightness without blowing out the bulb.

We use the term "letting out magic smoke" when you burn up a LED by overpowering. Its magic because you can't put it back in.

LEDs are voltage sensitive so you may have over powered just two.

Try using an AAA battery to see if they light, it may be dim but they should light, and as you may know they also need to wired with + and - properly connected, which it looks right in your photo.

In my Model Railroad hobby normally the LEDs have a resister inline to reduce the voltage to get needed brightness without blowing out the bulb.

We use the term "letting out magic smoke" when you burn up a LED by overpowering. Its magic because you can't put it back in.

20231117_104400.jpg

Here are the lights. They have a resisrer. Says prewired? Not sure if that matters if you have to much power to begin with.

Sometimes getting to fancy doesn't work. I used the cheap battery holder that came with the kit and bingo. I still don't know why that other set up isn't working I like being able to plug in to the wall socket. Homework. Any suggestions? Thanks

20231117_202937.jpg

20231117_203018.jpg

I'm excited about doing it. Looking forward to the experience. It's started to rain today here in California so that is the green light for me. Just so you know that is my granddaughter and we were at the Dickens fair last Christmas.
I couldn't wait and had to cut out a couple of pieces before I went to bed last night. I had that saw blade in my tools worked good on the large panel. May not fit on the smaller ones. Off and running.

View attachment 406993

View attachment 406994

View attachment 406995

View attachment 406996
Love the 1:1 scale vintage truck in the background!

PeteThumbsup

Back