Black Pearl By ZHL build

I Set the staircases in place and pinned them in place
20181112_211632.jpg
setting the Balusters on the staircase took a good bit of time as I had to let the glue tac up so they would stick where I put them
20181112_215611.jpg
Today I installed the main rail pinned to the deck and got to work in the hand rail and posts. the process was a bit easier then I though it was going to be
20181113_132447.jpg20181113_132536.jpg
I assembled the ships wheel and Bell and Pinned those to the deck and painted the rails and staircase 20181113_164935.jpg20181113_164855.jpg
she's coming together bit by bit. Ill be working on pin racks and such next

G'day Joe
The brass nails in the Wales are quite common, but they are not that obvious and normally the Wales are attached but every second one being a bolt instead of treenails.
If I was you, you can put them in, but only make it slightly visible. About half the size on that model.
Happymodeling
Greg

Looks nice m8! You work close to your laptop? With all the dust
nope just set it up there for the pictures. this lap top is around 6 years old I open it and 3 desktop computers once a month and vacuum them internally. this laptop has a thin plastic film over the keys area that can be removed and cleaned. I'm not allowed to sand anything in the house but unfortunately with all the openings in a ship model the dust gets in there and is quite difficult to remove all of it. I try every day before I begin work on it to remove more of it using a low pressure air compressor in the garage. the dust shows up extra well against the black on the ship so it always looks dusty. this ship will have to be put in a display case for sure. its my hope that by the time its built I'll get out all the dust inside of close it completely in which ever comes first lol

Quick poll on chain plates leave them brass or make them black
Remember the dead eyes are black and so are the channels. The plans call for them to be brass but I'm leaning towards making them black
20181115_092350.jpg

Greetings Joe,
If the deadeyes will be black, I would suggest making chainplates black as well. A super-easy way to blacken brass is to use Birchwood case's 'Brass Black". You want to make sure the surface is very clean (no grease) before actually dip in Brass Black for few minutes. Also, pour necessary amount from the bottle just enough to cover your parts. Do not pour the used liquid back into the bottle.

Happy Modelling,

I've used that product for a good long time on firearms, And I always have some handy. I use sharpie sometimes for brass parts on ship builds. I have a good shop for coating metals. I do black oxide, bluing, anodizing, powder coating, and plating right here at home in the shop.

Bowsprit installed and rails installed
20181115_175718.jpg
Working on the chain plates wanted to show how I am doing them. there are rather large eyebolts given to attach the dead eyes to so I wrap them around the dead eye cross over grab both ends in pliers and hold the dead eye in my fingers and give it a half twist to lock it down. I nip off the end and there you have it easy peasy. I will be turning all the brass bits Black but I have to wait till I have all the dead eyes rigged and the channels installed so I know where the bend in the brass plate will be I don't want to bend them after they are blackened because that black scratches off easily so everything will get shaped then blackened then installed 20181115_094449.jpg20181115_094612.jpg20181115_094934.jpg

After reviewing your recent build log I see I have a very different kit from yours as it relates to parts included and materials. You also have a pictorial instruction booklet included. I must have an early kit before they added the additional information. This being said your log will be a big help with my own. Keep posting pictures, they help.

Yes I know there are several kits and versions of the Black Pearl. I'll keep posting what I do in hopes you find something useful. Have you tried to talk to Max at ZHL to see if he can email a manual to you I can take pictures of mine for you, wont be your exact ship but may offer some insight to the build also did you receive the 2 large plan sheets they show mast building, rigging and sail making you will need those plans to know the mast lengths and components for each

I do have the sheets showing the mast and yard builds. I also have several sheets showing the sail plan. How do I contact Max at ZHL for additional information? Posting pictures of you pictorial plans booklet would be great. I studied the ones you already posted.

Back