Black Pearl By ZHL build

Research your kit of the Black pearl before you buy it. There are many variations of the same kit. As they improved the kit with plans and parts the older ones are still for sale and are not a good as the most recent offering.

Thanks Dave, I noticed you mentioned you received an earlier one than Epicdoom, I will take my time and double check which one I should get.

Thank you for you kind words. The hull of the Black pearl makes the planking a bit tricky. I have been building ships for 11 years and have a lot of ships under my belt the hull design on the black pearl is the first one I've seen with tricky lines. For your first build you have come to the right place. This forum is chock full of helpful folks from all walks of life and with some serious skill levels. I would try to build something in the simple kits first you will gain a ton of knowledge in areas that will help later on such as reading the plan set and production order or order of assembly. Some folks start with a model that ends up being more then they can process this leads to frustration and eventually shelving of the model kit some folks will have another go at it later but most will not. IMO its best to start at your skill level as each build you complete from there will give you confidence for another. Another way to do it is to buy the ship kit you want start the kit if you run into issues come here we can help, but if you get discouraged set it aside get a simpler kit to build and come back to the difficult one you may find the simple kit helped you figure out a way to proceed on the harder one.

You have modeling skill from plastic offerings so assembly order is something you already know. Computers require some deep thinking and problem solving so your good on that front if your working with computers. We post up build logs here for folks to not only see how we as modellers build things and show off skills, but also for others to have a guide to follow if they choose the same kit. There is nothing wrong with following to the letter another persons build. You learn things along the way. most folks don't mind because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. As Dave mentioned there are many versions of the Black Pearl kit I recommend buying directly from ZHL he has several kits of the model one is the offering I have called the Golden version he has one more advanced with opened sections to look at the insides of the ships compartments. I would have went for the open version had it been for me but the kit is for my Grandson so I chose to do the less complicated version which he probably wouldn't understand anyhow. I wish you the best on your decision and move to wood builds. We are here to help in any way we can

Thanks, I've shelved complicated builds in the past...mainly due to being unhappy with the paint job, this is definitely an area I need to improve on. Still, my plastic builds have never had this level of complexity, I am in awe of the level of detail for kits like this, having to build the framework for the hull is both exciting and daunting at the same time, most plastic kits are simply large pieces to be solvent welded together to form a hull.

With the Black Pearl I intend to set aside an area of my new modelling workspace for the build and shelve it at certain points whilst I work on simpler kits with similar requirements to prepare myself for each new step, so for example planking and rigging will be something I practice before working on those particular areas of the Z H L kit.

I was looking at the "All Scenario" version of the Z H L Black Pearl kit, the one with the open areas, that does appeal to me and I can see why you decided not to go with it for your grandson, a complete boat is something I can see someone younger appreciating more.

I'm not concerned with leaving the build unfinished, it will take me a long time to complete, I am more concerned with making a mess of it and not having the spare parts to complete it.

Maybe additional planking is something I can purchase for the Z H L kit.

Anyway, I don;t want to derail this thread. I'll be about on the forums asking questions and seeking advice whilst I get started with wood modelling in general, thanks again for all the advice and look to following more of this build and others like it!

There are times when If I feel streesd or problems at work I would not touch my model for months. I found out the hard way that if you are not in the mood to build then don't. I had the remake many portions of my build that I found I was just not happy with, and why? Because I worked on it when I was not in the zone. My longest dry spell was 2 years. The whole point is to have fun, not just to get it done. Trying new techniques or materials is all about the fun. No one looking at your final build will ever know the work that went into it, BUT you will.

There are times when If I feel streesd or problems at work I would not touch my model for months. I found out the hard way that if you are not in the mood to build then don't. I had the remake many portions of my build that I found I was just not happy with, and why? Because I worked on it when I was not in the zone. My longest dry spell was 2 years. The whole point is to have fun, not just to get it done. Trying new techniques or materials is all about the fun. No one looking at your final build will ever know the work that went into it, BUT you will.

That's good advice, I used to rush builds when I was younger but was never happy with the end result. I'll try to remember to only work on it when I feel like I really want to.

Thanks, I've shelved complicated builds in the past...mainly due to being unhappy with the paint job, this is definitely an area I need to improve on. Still, my plastic builds have never had this level of complexity, I am in awe of the level of detail for kits like this, having to build the framework for the hull is both exciting and daunting at the same time, most plastic kits are simply large pieces to be solvent welded together to form a hull.

With the Black Pearl I intend to set aside an area of my new modelling workspace for the build and shelve it at certain points whilst I work on simpler kits with similar requirements to prepare myself for each new step, so for example planking and rigging will be something I practice before working on those particular areas of the Z H L kit.

I was looking at the "All Scenario" version of the Z H L Black Pearl kit, the one with the open areas, that does appeal to me and I can see why you decided not to go with it for your grandson, a complete boat is something I can see someone younger appreciating more.

I'm not concerned with leaving the build unfinished, it will take me a long time to complete, I am more concerned with making a mess of it and not having the spare parts to complete it.

Maybe additional planking is something I can purchase for the Z H L kit.

Anyway, I don;t want to derail this thread. I'll be about on the forums asking questions and seeking advice whilst I get started with wood modelling in general, thanks again for all the advice and look to following more of this build and others like it!
No harm no foul, it's still talking about the Black Pearl so it's still on point. I agree with Dave about making sure your heart is in the build. I've rushed through some builds so I could move into something else. This is why I now build multiple ships at the same time I try and work something difficult on one and reward my self doing something I like on another. This works for me well.

I admire anyone who works on more than one model, but for me I just can't to it. True, I may duck around between jobs/stages of the process, but all my focus goes into the one build. As the saying goes - Different horses for different courses.

The biggest thing when working more then one at a time is making sure you plan out what needs to be done on each before you even pick up a tool or glue bottle. I will spend time figuring out how I want to do certain areas of a build and I'll write down if need be exactly what I want to do, then a day ahead I make sure everything is laid out on my bench for the next days task. I work on an area relentlessly till its done before I move on to another ship. so If I have to plank the hull of one its gets completely planked before I move on. planking is something I dislike so after something like that I want to do something I like doing like hatchways, trim work, rigging that sort of stuff it honestly helps me stay focused on hated things when I have something I love waiting right after. Yeah I'm an Odd Duck for sure.

Everyone approaches building problems differently. I go to sleep thinking of different ways to solve a building issue and surprisingly I usually come up with a good solution before I fall off. Possibly an unusual way to approach a problem but in the relaxing quiet of the night I usually find the solution. But back to the topic at hand. Are you going to dye your sails?

Last edited:
I plan to dye them with RIT clothes dye I suspect to make things look proper I will need to make half sails to be furled the material they gave with the kit will be swapped out to a thin canvas cloth or cotton. Something that isnt shiny like what they gave. The material they gave reminds me of a heavy silk.

Oddly enough I've decided on a different likely quite complicated and time consuming build to start with, I'm still going to acquire the Z H L Black Pearl all scenario very soon but the other build I'm starting has the added benefit of covering a wide range of skills early on with mountains of step by step you tube videos etc.

The build I am looking at the Deagostini HMS Victory 1:84, it has the added benefit of being originally supplied in 2010 as a weekly build with a magasine subscription, there is surprising complexity but all parts are numbered and the video build logs (of which there are a few from different builders) are documented with novices in mind.

I've already got a list of tools I am looking at which I'll probably list in a newbie thread on here somewhere to see if anyone can whittle it down to the essentials as right now it's quite the list.

One of the earlier tasks on the Victory build is creating a launch which includes planking. Should be a fun project which lets me practice.

Whilst I love the idea of the 1250mm Victory the Z H L Black Pearl is the one I'd like to display in a prominent position so using the Victory as my training build sounds preferable.

Thanks to the build log you are creating I should know when I'm ready to start the Z H L Black Pearl. hopping between builds is something I'm comfortable with and I have the space now.

Last edited:
Hi Dave, no i haven't even started it yet. I am now buildind an older model of the HMS Bounty from Artesania Latina. I want to have a little more experience before i take on the Pearl.

Hi Guys, need some clarification here please. Epic's kit is 1:50 dims. 800 x 700 x 280 mm. I have just seen a model on Banggood's site by ZHL of the Black Pearl, scale 1:50 dims. 650 x 300 x 200 mm.
It has the scaffolding, coffin and extras as well as the cannons are turned solid brass, Epic's kit has white metal cannons. So how come same scale but different dimensions?
There is a 1:48 or 1:49 kit by ZHL also and it has the extras

ZHL make 3 versions

Top level open version L 980 W 368 ( Coffin)
Top Level sealed version 980 mm (38.5")w 368 mm h 800 mm
Gold version 800MM×280MM×700MM (31 inch)

Thats all he sells, any other is probably not a ZHL version.

I think sometimes the kit producers are measuring different.
Means the use maybe different points of the model to describe the f.e.
length - with or without bowsprit
width - hull or yards
height - with masts or only the hull

If I compare your figures:
800 x 700 x 280 mm
650 x 300 x 200 mm
especially the 700 compared with 300 is so different, so it can not be only a mistake or difference in scale

No harm no foul, it's still talking about the Black Pearl so it's still on point. I agree with Dave about making sure your heart is in the build. I've rushed through some builds so I could move into something else. This is why I now build multiple ships at the same time I try and work something difficult on one and reward my self doing something I like on another. This works for me well.

Great build.Ive been thinking of doing one myself..There seems to be some question as to the size of the model.I am curious what the dimensions are of the hull itself? Im guessing that 800MM is counting the bow sprit and the hull is probably around 30 inches,Im guessing?

Great build.Ive been thinking of doing one myself..There seems to be some question as to the size of the model.I am curious what the dimensions are of the hull itself? Im guessing that 800MM is counting the bow sprit and the hull is probably around 30 inches,Im guessing?
Unfortunately @epicdoom disappeared some months ago, we do not know what happened to him......
But maybe one other member, who has the same kit could answer the question.....
Or, you could also contact Max from ZHL directly (in english) - I am sure he is able and will answer your question

Unfortunately @epicdoom disappeared some months ago, we do not know what happened to him......
But maybe one other member, who has the same kit could answer the question.....
Or, you could also contact Max from ZHL directly (in english) - I am sure he is able and will answer your question

Oh yeah.I just noticed his last post was Jan..Thats too bad.Its been a great build log.

Back