Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Rowboat

I ordered mine and it will be my first build, jumping in with both feet. Following all Black Pearl builds I can find because I will need alot of help.

Larry

A post but no pictures :rolleyes:.

I must say that building this ship with all it's parts and instructions is awesome!

What took me months to due with my Enterprise 1799 has taken only a few days.
The hull is assembled, lower deck installed, keel, stem and stern pieces all attached :DThumbsupThumbsup.

It's almost to easy ( bet I'll regret saying that:rolleyes: ).

Anyway at my current rate of build I could be done by month's end ( ....not saying which month though).

A post but no pictures :rolleyes:.

I must say that building this ship with all it's parts and instructions is awesome!

What took me months to due with my Enterprise 1799 has taken only a few days.
The hull is assembled, lower deck installed, keel, stem and stern pieces all attached :DThumbsupThumbsup.

It's almost to easy ( bet I'll regret saying that:rolleyes: ).

Anyway at my current rate of build I could be done by month's end ( ....not saying which month though).
Well, come on! Where are the pics, man? We don't care if your workplace is messy! (And what's your first name again? You're about to enter sailboat domain...not rowboat!)

Finally found some time to post pictures.

Does this deck look straight?
DSC01985.JPG

Attaching the frames to the bulkhead.
Main issue I had was that some of the components were in box 2.
I freaked out when I didn't find them in Box 1 thinking all the parts for the first part of the build would be in Box one.

Silly me

Basically just set them in place and glued them in.DSC01984.JPG

DSC01983.JPG

Remember that deck, I put a little water on it then glued it in place.
I put this heavy safe on top to get it straight.
NO money in it :(
DSC01987.JPG

Taking the puzzle apart....
DSC01988.JPG

Putting the puzzle together....
DSC01988.JPGDSC01989.JPGDSC01991.JPGDSC01990.JPG

DSC01992.JPG

DSC01993.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01994.JPG
    DSC01994.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Continuing......

Setting the Keel, Stem and Stern
DSC01995.JPG

DSC01996.JPG

Started some painting ....
DSC01997.JPGDSC01998.JPGDSC01999.JPGDSC02000.JPG

Back to real work..
Dry fitting, staining (walnut) and gluing.
I fitted my grates in between the frames. Yes, involves sanding..
Spray painted with matte black first then use a oil bronze spray on top.
Misted the bronze spray as opposed to spraying straight on the the grates.

DSC02003.JPGDSC02004.JPG

Obviously things have been going to well, so then came this issue.

The book showing how to place piece 8A.
DSC02012.JPG

Here are the 2 8A pieces ...
DSC02005.JPG

... and now here they are on the ship DSC02007.JPGDSC02008.JPG

Taking some measurements shows a massive 4.57mm variance (ok, not that massive).

Did anyone have this issue?
I plan to just glue a 4mm piece to the end of the beam unless I'm missing something on how this piece attaches.

DSC02014.JPG

DSC02015.JPG

Now everyone is up-to-date on the build. Thumbsup

Attachments

• DSC02013.JPG
    DSC02013.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Continuing......

View attachment 224747

View attachment 224748

View attachment 224749View attachment 224750View attachment 224751View attachment 224752

Back to real work..

View attachment 224753View attachment 224754

View attachment 224762

View attachment 224756

... and now here they are on the ship View attachment 224757View attachment 224758

Taking some measurements shows a massive 4.57mm variance (ok, not that massive).

I plan to just glue a 4mm piece to the end of the beam unless I'm missing something on how this piece attaches.

View attachment 224760

View attachment 224761

Yo Rowboat, you're doing a fine job. My lower deck looked like a brittle potato chip, curled more than yours. I ran hot water over it and weighed it down over wax paper on our kitchen counter....in the morning it was straight as an arrow. Then I applied stain and it dried with a slight curl

I just glued my 5 stem pieces to the keel today. Before I did, I tried putting in the second deck, no fit. I'll need to cut 2-3mm out of the stern slot. Even though I used the upper deck with rubber bands to align the starboard bulkheads, the middle deck doesn't fit. I think ZHL needs to adjust the laser saw on that middle deck. My upper deck and all bulkheads align just fine.

Your a bit ahead of me so I'll be watching out for your journey across any troubled waters. That beam above the jail is certainly short.....

Ahoy mate.

Did you put the main deck in when you glued the walnut ribs on the starboard side? If not the walnut frames are probably to far out from the center of the ship. See if the main deck fits. There was a bit of play between the frames and those beam pieces but only a mm or so on each side on mine. You may have to adjust the frames. It can be done if that is where the problem is, not easy but don't panic.

Finally found some time to post pictures.

Does this deck look straight?
View attachment 224736

Attaching the frames to the bulkhead.
Main issue I had was that some of the components were in box 2.
I freaked out when I didn't find them in Box 1 thinking all the parts for the first part of the build would be in Box one.

Silly me

Basically just set them in place and glued them in.View attachment 224737

View attachment 224738

Remember that deck, I put a little water on it then glued it in place.
I put this heavy safe on top to get it straight.
NO money in it :(
View attachment 224739

Taking the puzzle apart....
View attachment 224740

Putting the puzzle together....
View attachment 224740View attachment 224741View attachment 224743View attachment 224742

View attachment 224744

View attachment 224745
My deck was walnut. Interesting.

Continuing......

View attachment 224747

View attachment 224748

View attachment 224749View attachment 224750View attachment 224751View attachment 224752

Back to real work..
I fitted my grates in between the frames. Yes, involves sanding..
Spray painted with matte black first then use a oil bronze spray on top.
Misted the bronze spray as opposed to spraying straight on the the grates.

View attachment 224753View attachment 224754

View attachment 224762

View attachment 224756

... and now here they are on the ship View attachment 224757View attachment 224758

View attachment 224760

View attachment 224761

Now everyone is up-to-date on the build. Thumbsup
Nobody will be able to see it. But there might be a problem later in the next two decks if it’s off that much there.

Did you put the main deck in when you glued the walnut ribs on the starboard side? If not the walnut frames are probably to far out from the center of the ship. See if the main deck fits. There was a bit of play between the frames and those beam pieces but only a mm or so on each side on mine. You may have to adjust the frames. It can be done if that is where the problem is, not easy but don't panic.
Unfortunately I did not test fit the main deck :confused:.
Here I thought this was going to be an easy build :rolleyes:.

I did just test the 2nd level deck and it needed some trimming but nothing excessive.

Currently working on the wiring.
Should I run all 28 wires now or just do each set according to the level?

My guess is the second choice but just thought I might run in to issues running wire after each deck gets sealed off (glued down).

Spending time now re-reading BP build logs trying to get all the hints and suggestions everyone has put together.
I fear I'll still miss an important issue and end up having to tear something apart :eek:.

Unfortunately I did not test fit the main deck :confused:.
Here I thought this was going to be an easy build :rolleyes:.

I did just test the 2nd level deck and it needed some trimming but nothing excessive.

Currently working on the wiring.
Should I run all 28 wires now or just do each set according to the level?

My guess is the second choice but just thought I might run in to issues running wire after each deck gets sealed off (glued down).

Spending time now re-reading BP build logs trying to get all the hints and suggestions everyone has put together.
I fear I'll still miss an important issue and end up having to tear something apart :eek:.
Rowboat, that’s a good question! From my perspective, I don’t know because I‘m running three switches (1 for each deck) and a remote control. I’m not sure where I will place the last two switches yet and wiring up all the LED’s to the remote will be a cruise I’m nit looking forward too! I fear if I place wires now, it’ll look like a pile of angel hair pasta underneath. I tried to keep the lower level wiring as neat as possible. One of my wires broke lose from the solder joint and just tracing it down in the harness of (+’s) was a trip for old eyes.
With thirteen lights for the mid level deck, I’ll probably run 1/2 out of both stern and bow! Then after they’re in, I’ll run the last set of nine wires out for hookup when ready! Not sure if that’s right, but it’s a plan! Ha! I invite the Captain’s out there for their expertise!
Rick

Last edited:
I ran the wires deck by deck as I put the lanterns in. It does make for a ton of wire under the ship but it all gets covered up. I don't really think there is any other practical wat to do it.

Looks like I'll be running wires deck by deck as well.

Slow going as I have to solder extra wire to all my LEDS as I ordered the 8 inch length :mad:.

Tried soldering a few yesterday and , for once , things went smoothly :).

Have about 5 more wires to go then glue in all the artifacts and lower deck.

Anything I should be wary of (things or going to well)?:D

It's taken a while but I finally got the lights on the bottom deck installed.

Much of the time was spent soldering extension wires to the LEDs.
If someone decides to use the Evan Designs LED's call and get the 14 inch wire, the 8 inch is just more work.
Tried using shrink tube to cover the exposed wire but nothing I had was small enough.
Ended up using black electrical tape. Also I just glued the wire to the beams above deck.

Here's a pic of the soldered wires.
DSC02022.JPG

After wrapping the wires and running them through the hull, I soldered all the red wires together and all the black wires as well.
Those 2 wires in the pic below are the result.
By the way, I tested every step of the way so in the end all worked.
DSC02025.JPG

I did use those little hanging rods to hold the lights ( some one mentioned they were not strong enough) but because the wire I used was already holding the lights it was mostly for appearance. Which turns out one can hardly see them.
DSC02023.JPG

Gotta run there's lots of projects in the backyard calling me.

Back