Black Pearl - Zhl 1:50 by Vfordyce [COMPLETED BUILD]

I’m done! Now it’s on to Omaha! I pray it doesn’t break on the way up there. While I was bringing it downstairs, the rudder fell off! I’ll bag it along with some glue and the pin and take the bag with me. I’ll set the ship up for pix when I get there. My son has a good camera. Thanks for all the helpful tips, great logs for inspiration, and encouragement. You’re a great group!
Vic

I’m done! Now it’s on to Omaha! I pray it doesn’t break on the way up there. While I was bringing it downstairs, the rudder fell off! I’ll bag it along with some glue and the pin and take the bag with me. I’ll set the ship up for pix when I get there. My son has a good camera. Thanks for all the helpful tips, great logs for inspiration, and encouragement. You’re a great group!
Vic
Good job Vic. Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures.

Vic
Excited to see the final pictures!

Travel safe Vic...looking forward to the final pics. Hopefully, I’ll be able to PM you when I get stuck...the easy part is done...I worked most of the morning to finish 4 lanterns! Ha!

Last edited:
Yay! Have you done the three big lanterns yet?
Heck no. I just finished drawing up my LED grid on paper...I'm running three switches, 1 for each deck...along with a remote control setup from Evan Designs. I managed the time today to make 5 regular lanterns. I only have enough metal in the kit to make 24 lanterns plus three stern lamps....so I'm likely to go with the three rear lamps, 6 in the Captain's quarters, 10 in the mid deck and 8 in the lower deck.

Heck no. I just finished drawing up my LED grid on paper...I'm running three switches, 1 for each deck...along with a remote control setup from Evan Designs. I managed the time today to make 5 regular lanterns. I only have enough metal in the kit to make 24 lanterns plus three stern lamps....so I'm likely to go with the three rear lamps, 6 in the Captain's quarters, 10 in the mid deck and 8 in the lower deck.
Wow! I ordered 30 and only had one left over. In fact, I have a lantern not plugged in on the cabinet in front of the wheel. You sure you only have enough for 24? Oh, I didn’t have six in the captain’s quarters. I made it smaller and put two inside and two outside. Have fun with those piddly things. I got glue all over my hands, and sometimes they turned out crooked. The little projections were hard to curl around the lantern frames.

Wow! I ordered 30 and only had one left over. In fact, I have a lantern not plugged in on the cabinet in front of the wheel. You sure you only have enough for 24? Oh, I didn’t have six in the captain’s quarters. I made it smaller and put two inside and two outside. Have fun with those piddly things. I got glue all over my hands, and sometimes they turned out crooked. The little projections were hard to curl around the lantern frames.
I got 30 too Vick.... 21 white, 6 yellow for the Captain’s Qtrs. and 3 flickering orange for the stern lamps. I only got enough parts to make 24 of the little lantern cages, plus 3 of the big rear lamps = total 27 for my ship unless I make some! I really didn’t want to push 30 on 3v DC but I guess they say the remote can handle up to 30?

Last edited:
I got 30:too Vick.... 21 white, 6 yellow for the Captain’s Qtrs. and 3 flickering orange for the stern lamps. I only got enough parts to make 24 of the little lantern cages, plus 3 of the big rear lamps = total 27 for my ship unless I make some! I really didn’t want to push 30 on 3v DC but I guess they say the remote can handle up to 30?
Unfortunately, I don’t have a remote.

Made it to Omaha today. Broke the spike off the top of the main mast getting it into the car when the cradle on the base fell apart. I wish I had found a way to screw them on. Then my girl accidentally hit the center lantern and broke it off. Now only one of the three works. There’s got to be a better way to secure them to the ship. Some of the course sails were scrunched and their braces are droopy. On top of it all, I left the power supply for the lights at home. Here she is on my daughter’s kitchen table.image.jpgimage.jpg

Made it to Omaha today. Broke the spike off the top of the main mast getting it into the car when the cradle on the base fell apart. I wish I had found a way to screw them on. Then my girl accidentally hit the center lantern and broke it off. Now only one of the three works. There’s got to be a better way to secure them to the ship. Some of the course sails were scrunched and their braces are droopy. On top of it all, I left the power supply for the lights at home. Here she is on my daughter’s kitchen table.View attachment 226106View attachment 226107
Oh man that sucks. I've been thinking already about using some brass tubing to mount those lights. I will be in Omaha around noon to pick up a load. I'll stop by and have a look. Lol joke

Well, the saga seems to never end (pardon the split infinity). While attaching the final stay, I accidentally clipped a halyard (one of the pully down lines attached to the tops of the yard). So, I reran the line down to the bitt and tied it up. Then I tightened the knot. Then the bitt with six lines disengaged from the foc’sle deck and hung there limply. Then I applied super glue to the bottom of the bitt. Then I held it down for two minutes. I moved the sails slightly and POP goes the bitt. I glue it down again and put some downward pressure on the stay to fasten the lanyards through the deadeyes and...you guessed it...pop! Then I finished the last stay and held the bit down one last time. It stayed. I might add that it was very tight quarters with 20 lines and full sails. I didn’t have any of my tools while on vacation. Next time I am NOT using tung oil on any surface that will be glued to. image.jpg

Well, the saga seems to never end (pardon the split infinity). While attaching the final stay, I accidentally clipped a halyard (one of the pully down lines attached to the tops of the yard). So, I reran the line down to the bitt and tied it up. Then I tightened the knot. Then the bitt with six lines disengaged from the foc’sle deck and hung there limply. Then I applied super glue to the bottom of the bitt. Then I held it down for two minutes. I moved the sails slightly and POP goes the bitt. I glue it down again and put some downward pressure on the stay to fasten the lanyards through the deadeyes and...you guessed it...pop! Then I finished the last stay and held the bit down one last time. It stayed. I might add that it was very tight quarters with 20 lines and full sails. I didn’t have any of my tools while on vacation. Next time I am NOT using tung oil on any surface that will be glued to. View attachment 227398
Have you though about adding pins underneath for retention and added strength. I just use those little brass nails (which most of us have by the thousands) drill small hole and cut off the head.

Have you though about adding pins underneath for retention and added strength. I just use those little brass nails (which most of us have by the thousands) drill small hole and cut off the head.
I did think of that, Ken. Unfortunately, that should have happened looong before starting the rigging and sails. Way too crowded now.

Back