• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Black Swan - Black Swan custom VOC-pirate ship conversion / first wooden ship build

I Bended it!!! ... using lots of elastic benda and Wellington soaking in hotel water and restino all night , after 3-4 days of attempts.

20260912_091725.jpg

But a small problem I hotel to fix with sone glue and a clip...

20260912_091732.jpg

Another problem is I bent too much ... but may be I should adapt the reat deck or try to unbend part of the stern ?

20260912_092045.jpg
 
I have a question , about the side galleries , are there any other sugestions on how to build them and make them stable and fitting to the boat or else? I wanted them to have also a side window and a door entrance as I saw on some ship models but I am not yet sure on how to build the underlying infrastructure to hold everything in place .
 
Today I glewed all together , I think I am final on structure of double deck and rear , either



20260928_132920.jpg20260928_132928.jpg20260928_133204.jpg20260928_133213.jpg
I think next phase is lower side planking or start planking underdeck area , make walls cover , Doors, Windows etc .
 
Last edited:
Here is what I was thinking to do for the lower galleries part , not yet decided how to plank the rest, basically I am cutting several layers of tilia wood to give a shape and fit into the side shape , the idea is to later plank it better after sanding it to shape and plank around it ... not sure if its a good approach but it is what seemed to me The easiest way.

20260929_091323.jpg

To shape I am using a rotating tool.
 
I have redone the stern shape , to make it more symetrical and a little bit more large to host better the side galleries .

Also closed the open area where the pole could be seen ... now its different rooms , the lower ones will just feature a gun probably.

20261002_144359.jpg

20261002_144523.jpg

20261002_144533.jpg
 
Last edited:
Update on the stern, I worked with wood putty20261003_015610.jpg20261003_015619.jpg20261003_015852.jpg, sanded , filled in holes with more materials and fitted more pieces to hive a more rounded and continuous shape. I am studying now the archways to build the galleries structure and the remake of the side panels for the ship .
Undecided if to cut the last support that i intrudes much of the cabin to replace with side supports may be.
 
Back
Top