Bluenose 1/64 MS2130 by TechTrek (Chris) [COMPLETED BUILD]

They’re tied along the edges of the topsails, 9 on each. 4 along the top, 4 along the bottom and 1 half way along the bottom part beside the mast side. The rigging line runs through them and the sail corner blocks.
OK, now I realize where they are located and their use.
I think that loops of the bolt rope on the sides are "cringles" which do not pass lines through the sail but to the side. Are "earings" reinforced holes through the sail corners? I'll have to look closely at the sail plans for locations and form.
I do see and have a photo of the clew iron with two or three such holes located in the far outboard end of the main sail and is noted on sheet 6 which I will have to spend some time studying. Thanks, Rich

The main topsail has had the fairleads tied in, knot is a simple reef knot tied on the seam side. Single blocks in the corners and clew line attached and ready to feed through the blocks and fairleads once the dab of glue applied to each knot has set. Just a small note on tools, these sewing scissors and sew thread slicer/material stabber thing is essential for making nice clean holes for the fairleads line.
F11C29D4-BF24-4C3A-9B5A-425D5F24E83B.jpeg75D74C06-5194-4F66-8E3B-5E891B04BB6B.jpeg4ED9A251-8CE3-4C84-9243-7AA84C61BE5B.jpeg

The main topsail has had the fairleads tied in, knot is a simple reef knot tied on the seam side. Single blocks in the corners and clew line attached and ready to feed through the blocks and fairleads once the dab of glue applied to each knot has set. Just a small note on tools, these sewing scissors and sew thread slicer/material stabber thing is essential for making nice clean holes for the fairleads line.
View attachment 207673View attachment 207674View attachment 207675
Your eyes are sharper than my own in looking at the two sails of this shape on Sheet 6 I see some of these leads' points but not as many as you have. The appear to be related to down-haul lines. For the mast hoops take a look at the two photos that I posted from Bluenose II crew which show lower hoop sail bending but still have a lot of unanswered questions about the full lashing process. Nice small rigging prep work. Rich

Good job Chris. Well done.

Just an idea :
You can use eyelets for saving your time.

I always use them for this process. You can find on e-bay.

This is my model. Marseille

Best regards.

View attachment 207703
Thanks for that. I kind of like the tied in look. Here’s a pic of the main topsail with clew line fed through and all lines and blocks ready for rigging.
image.jpg

Good job Chris. Well done.

Just an idea :
You can use eyelets for saving your time.

I always use them for this process. You can find on e-bay.

This is my model. Marseille

Best regards.

View attachment 207703
These eyelets are consistent with what is on the present day Bluenose II sails along the bolt ropes.
You can see one of those on the photos that I posted today for securing the luff to mast hoops.

There may be need for additional leads for downhaul lines along the stays in two or three locations depending upon the sail edge length. The MS2130 indicates locations for such leads with the downhaul lines loose and slacked, not tight and straight but it is all in how those want to be presented on the model. On my pilot boat I left them loose and slacked/sagging. Rich (PT-2)

I wrote “2mm eyelet” to e-bay search window.

One of the result is as below :

Thank you. An order is in for 1.5 mm which should work with the 1:64 scale. I'll have to improvise a setting system for the grommets if I cannot find one that small. Rich

It’s been more than a week since I’ve posted anything about my Bluenose build. Switched over to my Fly start for a bit. So sails are all on now. I had to redo my Staysail as I had it on the wrong tack. Thanks Rich for pointing that out. Just a couple of things to note. Sewing the mast hoops was a bit of an adventure on the topsails as the space between the topmast and the hoop was very tight. I’m so glad I bought these big eye beading needles. Very flexible, long and very thin. Made feeding the thread mush easier then with a regular needle.
E33E2342-7B0F-4D9C-B08C-B1DD5760493A.jpeg
Here are some pics of the current sails status. Just need to tie in the last few lines on the Starboard side topsails.
BD13D2F3-39CA-499D-AE19-AD3EE942A9F1.jpeg7D1D3E57-99BF-4C77-91DE-326522084A74.jpegB5978AE8-A1D8-46D1-969B-4FF9A3599EF4.jpegF28A30BE-5215-4C6E-BB8B-DB6C4C2A0866.jpegNow it’s time to start making more rope coils, do the dory tackles and the flag halliards. Once I finish tying in the last few lines I will try my hairdryer and starch to set the sails. Ship-1

It’s been more than a week since I’ve posted anything about my Bluenose build. Switched over to my Fly start for a bit. So sails are all on now. I had to redo my Staysail as I had it on the wrong tack. Thanks Rich for pointing that out. Just a couple of things to note. Sewing the mast hoops was a bit of an adventure on the topsails as the space between the topmast and the hoop was very tight. I’m so glad I bought these big eye beading needles. Very flexible, long and very thin. Made feeding the thread mush easier then with a regular needle.
View attachment 210456
Here are some pics of the current sails status. Just need to tie in the last few lines on the Starboard side topsails.
View attachment 210457View attachment 210458View attachment 210461View attachment 210459Now it’s time to start making more rope coils, do the dory tackles and the flag halliards. Once I finish tying in the last few lines I will try my hairdryer and starch to set the sails. Ship-1
Fantastic Chris! She really looks fabulous doesn't she?!?

View attachment 210456
View attachment 210457View attachment 210458View attachment 210461View attachment 210459Now it’s time to start making more rope coils, do the dory tackles and the flag halliards. Once I finish tying in the last few lines I will try my hairdryer and starch to set the sails. Ship-1
Looks great Chris! Well done!

Back