Bluenose 1/64 MS2130 by TechTrek (Chris) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Sails all rigged and set.
View attachment 210712
Just a question as I have taken a paint drying break to turn some barrels on my small lathe with raised simulated barrel hoops painted black. . no barrel staves attempted but may try that on the next set. DId you make yours or order them? The other turning tasks was to turn the Fore Mast belaying pins ring and the main boom support ring which is right under the galvanized mast protection for the jaws of the main boom. I never tried to use the laser cut half rings. The added side tack was to do one dory which is too long for the schooner and will cut off two feet or three in scale for the others. For this first one I am adding the gaff and jib sails with associate mast, boom and gaff, plus four oars. Only the top dory will get the full load and the lower ones just nested. My current hesitation is in trying to understand the winch assembly as I am having a hard time in getting the plans and some details sorted out. Lots of pieces and not clear where all are located or the best sequence to put them all together. Your build gives me stimulus to keep going as you went through the same stages.
Nicely done. Rich

Just a question as I have taken a paint drying break to turn some barrels on my small lathe with raised simulated barrel hoops painted black. . no barrel staves attempted but may try that on the next set. DId you make yours or order them? The other turning tasks was to turn the Fore Mast belaying pins ring and the main boom support ring which is right under the galvanized mast protection for the jaws of the main boom. I never tried to use the laser cut half rings. The added side tack was to do one dory which is too long for the schooner and will cut off two feet or three in scale for the others. For this first one I am adding the gaff and jib sails with associate mast, boom and gaff, plus four oars. Only the top dory will get the full load and the lower ones just nested. My current hesitation is in trying to understand the winch assembly as I am having a hard time in getting the plans and some details sorted out. Lots of pieces and not clear where all are located or the best sequence to put them all together. Your build gives me stimulus to keep going as you went through the same stages.
Nicely done. Rich
Hi Rich, I ordered my barrels online. By winch assembly do you mean the dory tackles I just did? Since this is my 1st build I’ve been a bit reluctant to make my own pieces, there’s enough manufacturing in this kit for me. My Fly build will have a significant amount of customization. Since my dory sail is wrapped around the mast I just left it as a single triangular shaped sail. No gaff on mine.

Hi Rich, I ordered my barrels online. By winch assembly do you mean the dory tackles I just did? Since this is my 1st build I’ve been a bit reluctant to make my own pieces, there’s enough manufacturing in this kit for me. My Fly build will have a significant amount of customization. Since my dory sail is wrapped around the mast I just left it as a single triangular shaped sail. No gaff on mine.
I am following the dory masting and gaff sail/jib from the Saga book. By the winch I meant the larger assembly in the bow area. Dory tackles are not that complex as I used those for ships boats on my prior pilot boat model. . . had one in a kid partially secured and the other one in the air before going over the rail. I turned the barrels with fake hoops and the two pinrail bands on the masts with recesses for blackened brass bands. The one on the main mast takes a slightly larger diameter to compensate for my thin alumunim (galvanized) protective sheath for the main boom jaws. I keep bouncing back and forth between old photos, Saga BNII book, and photos that I find aboard BNII.
Slow progress but I am not drifting backwards. Rich

Nicely done. Rich
Ok, so the winch assembly was a bit different. The parts don’t fit together very well and I added some custom pieces.
This helped me. Winch Assembly

Hi Rich. These pics may help with the winch assembly.

Attachments

• B7F6B04C-BE2E-4861-9EF3-D66EE488FDFA.jpeg
    B7F6B04C-BE2E-4861-9EF3-D66EE488FDFA.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 83F301B5-76B6-44C6-9072-84771815FC02.jpeg
    83F301B5-76B6-44C6-9072-84771815FC02.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 9
Hi Rich. These pics may help with the winch assembly.
Yes, I found the build log and have printed out the windlass and winch parts. The cast parts that I received are not the same as those shown, some shaft bearing parts missing and some cast into one piece so that the large sheave cannot be placed without cutting the shaft apart to place it and glue it together again. Thanks for bringing these to my attention. Rich

Yes, I found the build log and have printed out the windlass and winch parts. The cast parts that I received are not the same as those shown, some shaft bearing parts missing and some cast into one piece so that the large sheave cannot be placed without cutting the shaft apart to place it and glue it together again. Thanks for bringing these to my attention. Rich
I also had to cut the one part to get it in place. I ordered a piece of small diameter steel rod to replace this shaft but it did not arrive in time, so I ended up gluing the part after placement. A bit of a pain. I also used a piece of my anchor chain to go around the two pieces aft of the main windlass. What a massive pain in the arse trying to connect these pieces of chain with a piece of wire and keep the chain in place while getting it tight enough that it didn't droop to the deck. I think I spent an hour of cursing before that was done. The Admiral calls my Bluenose the 500,000 $%$#@#$% ship. :rolleyes: :eek:ROTF

Back