Bluenose Model Shipways build log - Mallacoota

Happy birthday John. May it be a wonderful year ahead!

Hi John, wishing you are ok , longtime since your last post and hopping to see the rigging and the sails..

Hi Hugo

Thanks for your message. I have been otherwise occupied in recent months but your message is very timely as I will return to Bluenose in the next few weeks, and I am looking forward to it.

John

Sincerely Glad to hear from you, John as terminator said: I'll be back, or Mcarthur I shall return...

main shrouds in place. I did the furled sails beofre the mast stays as I thought it would make life easier and it probably did. Threading deadeyes is at the outer limits of my eyesight I fear... need to get comfortable with head goggles but I find them difficult to like.

IMG_20220518_132032.jpg

IMG_20220518_132046.jpg

IMG_20220518_132111.jpg

IMG_20220518_152151.jpg

Some photos of the boat show the shrouds wrapped and painted... went with that.

Last edited:
main shrouds in place. I did the furled sails beofre the mast stays as I thought it would make life easier and it probably did. Threading deadeyes is at the outer limits of my eyesight I fear... need to get comfortable with head goggles but I find them difficult to like.

View attachment 309008

View attachment 309009

View attachment 309010

View attachment 309025

The main sails and gaff sails first is a rather good idea, although you'll still have accessibility issues.
Out of curiosity; why didn't you attach the main sails to the gaffs? My reasoning is that, when furled, the sails would have been attached to the gaffs as well, ready for a moments notice hoisting.
Other than that, it certainly is becoming a build to be proud of. Thumbsup

The main sails and gaff sails first is a rather good idea, although you'll still have accessibility issues.
Out of curiosity; why didn't you attach the main sails to the gaffs? My reasoning is that, when furled, the sails would have been attached to the gaffs as well, ready for a moments notice hoisting.
Other than that, it certainly is becoming a build to be proud of. Thumbsup
I was guided by photos which show the main furled right onto the main boom... agree your logic though I guess how it was done would just depend on the circumstamces.

I was guided by photos which show the main furled right onto the main boom... agree your logic though I guess how it was done would just depend on the circumstamces.
Thanks for your response. I can see it can be done either way, just seems a little illogical to me.
I have very limited sailing experience, one was with a gaff rigged 16 square a small Dutch sailing boat.
When furlong the sails, the mainsail remained attached to both the main boom and the gaff.
Still it does by no means impact the beauty of your build.

View attachment 309008

View attachment 309009

View attachment 309010

View attachment 309025

Hi John. The furled sails gives your BN a attractive view. I considered also some of them on my BN. Looking forward to the finished overall look.
Regards, Peter

I have been experimenting with how to display ther sails. If you furl the main fully as in the photos of the boat you get the authentic result but I have chosen to fake it by tying them at reef points leaving the gaff attached and visible and the boom visible. Not strictly according to Hoyle but I like it as you dont obscure a lot of detail. ...Well I think I like it...maybe tomorrow I wont and will hack it out again..LOL, but this way I get to rig and display the Peak gaff lifts which I think are worth seeing.

IMG_20220524_143832.jpg

IMG_20220524_140150.jpg

IMG_20220524_144415.jpg

Mallacoota Nice work, looks very pro, and simple. And also different as I have seen in other blogs...

Thanks Hugo, I am happy with progress although I have been distracted by other activities. The plans for the rigging are so detailed that I am being realistic about my rigging abilities...some blocks are missing because I just cant get to the places at the scale. But all good really. It is a good kit.

Back