Bluenose Model Shipways build log - Mallacoota

The builder's paint scheme has light grey cabin top and trim...but the working photos taken some time down the track show a dark cabin top but it is so dirty from work that it is hard to see much more than that. I think the comment by others that things like this will have changed during thre boat's working life are probably the explanation.

The builder's paint scheme has light grey cabin top and trim...but the working photos taken some time down the track show a dark cabin top but it is so dirty from work that it is hard to see much more than that. I think the comment by others that things like this will have changed during thre boat's working life are probably the explanation.
To further add confusion to the paint scheme, here's a link, Resources from the past, post #124, showing what is reportedly the most accurate representation of the Bluenose, at one point in time, by its last captain...

To further add confusion to the paint scheme, here's a link, Resources from the past, post #124, showing what is reportedly the most accurate representation of the Bluenose, at one point in time, by its last captain...
Yes I have looked closely at that. What can you say when the last skipper of the boat paints his superb model with an aqua colour on the cabin top, the working photos show grimey black/dark (below) , and the builder's colour scheme shows light grey. ? All three are presumably correct at different times. He also made a completely different flue for the cabin stove to the one shown here. You really need to take a pretty relaxed view of things being "right" .Angus Walters must have been left handed as the layout suggests he steered the boat from Starboard regardless of the tack but that might be stretching the evidence a bit far.

200330715.jpg

Yes I have looked closely at that. What can you say when the last skipper of the boat paints his superb model with an aqua colour on the cabin top, the working photos show grimey black/dark (below) , and the builder's colour scheme shows light grey. ? All three are presumably correct at different times. He also made a completely different flue for the cabin stove to the one shown here. You really need to take a pretty relaxed view of things being "right" .Angus Walters must have been left handed as the layout suggests he steered the boat from Starboard regardless of the tack but that might be stretching the evidence a bit far.

View attachment 260601
And that's where you use your Artistic License/Free Interpretation. It's up to you now to decide upon the paint scheme; either the builder's scheme, or, what appears to be quite different, the scheme apparent in those old black and white photos. Personally, I wouldn't go for the aqua top...
Angus Walters might indeed have been left handed, just based on the location of the compass. Admittedly, I did not perform a thorough research on the subject, but maybe people closer to the source are able shed some light on this.

And that's where you use your Artistic License/Free Interpretation. It's up to you now to decide upon the paint scheme; either the builder's scheme, or, what appears to be quite different, the scheme apparent in those old black and white photos. Personally, I wouldn't go for the aqua top...
Angus Walters might indeed have been left handed, just based on the location of the compass. Admittedly, I did not perform a thorough research on the subject, but maybe people closer to the source are able shed some light on this.
Starboard is the tack of precidence in racing when rounding bouys as approaching port tack have to give way so steering from starboard side with best view being higher above the water is the best view and looking to port beneath the boom is not a problem. BN was designed as a racer which would fish only as requried for race entry unless there were no races and she had to fish to pay her way. In those years the fishing schooners all disappeared as the fish market had collapsed.
Also, in war ships the captains side was the starboard side as I recall but don't know if that changed with tacks and windward side.
If the schooner is not a solid weather boat and heels too much as many schooners did, then the rail would go under and a flood of seawater would wash the decks, sometimes up to the cabin side which made foot purchase for a helmsman on that side (starboard) could be a problem but with the sheer of BN Walters would boast that he did not get his loafers wet. Just some thoughts. Rich (PT-2)

And that's where you use your Artistic License/Free Interpretation. It's up to you now to decide upon the paint scheme; either the builder's scheme, or, what appears to be quite different, the scheme apparent in those old black and white photos. Personally, I wouldn't go for the aqua top...Yes agree the compass
Yes agree the compass is a clue, although I cant see a picture of the size and shape of the aperture in the rear of the binnacle, but I reckon you could assume it cant be seen from Port l. Also there is more than one photo of him standing to Starboard. Today's useless discovery...Angus Walters was probably left handed...the things that amuse small minds..LOL

Today's useless discovery...Angus Walters was probably left handed...the things that amuse small minds..LOL
Nothing wrong with minds paying attention to these kind of trivia; it's providing logic to the layout. ;)

Starboard is the tack of precidence in racing when rounding bouys as approaching port tack have to give way so steering from starboard side with best view being higher above the water is the best view and looking to port beneath the boom is not a problem. BN was designed as a racer which would fish only as requried for race entry unless there were no races and she had to fish to pay her way. In those years the fishing schooners all disappeared as the fish market had collapsed.
Also, in war ships the captains side was the starboard side as I recall but don't know if that changed with tacks and windward side.
If the schooner is not a solid weather boat and heels too much as many schooners did, then the rail would go under and a flood of seawater would wash the decks, sometimes up to the cabin side which made foot purchase for a helmsman on that side (starboard) could be a problem but with the sheer of BN Walters would boast that he did not get his loafers wet. Just some thoughts. Rich (PT-2)
Haven't thought of this one. In smaller boats, with a one- or two men crew, one sits at the high side for obvious reasons... (At least, that's what I did.)

IMG_20211014_145722.jpg
img_20211014_145726-jpg.262313

Attachments

• IMG_20211014_145726.jpg
    IMG_20211014_145726.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 126
a couple of alterations based on old photos...edge rails on cabin roof changed for bait boards, small box added aft of steering box, mast partners still to be trimmed to final smaller size, barrels to be added to cargo storage base boards.

View attachment 263256View attachment 263257View attachment 263271
If you present her with sails and underway the main boom crutch would be set aside but if furled the crutch would be up as in many photos. Looking nice. Rich (PT-2)

I know that feeling; not making any progress, or so it seems, and then, all of a sudden: wonderful results.
One should also be able to enjoy the journey...

And slowly, but irreversible all your work, patience and perseverance is transforming a plain box, containing bits of wood, planks, ropes, cloth and other hardware, into a model of one the most beautiful schooners in history. Thumbsup

And slowly, but irreversible all your work, patience and perseverance is transforming a plain box, containing bits of wood, planks, ropes, cloth and other hardware, into a model of one the most beautiful schooners in history. Thumbsup
Even when temporarily set, masts bring a new sense of life and scale to your schooner. Your are progressing very well with fine finishing. RIch (PT-2)

Back