Bluenose Old Photos, Books, and resources from the past

As a couple of new offerings which touch upon Sterling Hayden when he was a schooner crewman, was aboard when racing the Thebaud, and lastly his parting from Hollywood to return to the sea in his pilot boat Wanderer. Here are some links that I hope you may be able to bring up:

https://youtu.be/CLwS7yPz89o

The Racing Schooners and Sterling Hayden
RACING SCHOONERS: Sterling Hayden Versus Bluenose - Wave Train

Sterling Hayden: Mastheads to Movies and Back Again - Sail Magazine

Sterling Hayden and Wanderer (tadroberts.ca)
Some photos from Lester on BN II which are only "save as" format of his posted and put up here from my own saving of those so the quality is not that high.BN II Aft Port Quarter downwind.jpg
BN II Aft Stbd Quarter Upwind.jpg
The other ones that he shared may be added after I see how these turn out for zooming. Rich

These are pics of the Columbia...not the BN
Related to the recent thread from Dean and his own hawseBLuenoseII Hawse Hole Scroll Graphic.jpgpipe scroll where I mentioned his ability to hand paint the decorative scroll and not using the YQ metal one as a template, here is a good view of a scroll with the added detailing for those wanting to have a higher quality scroll using a very fine brush probably obtained from a local art supply store. There are both short and long bristle brushes and I recommend using the long bristle one which can carry more paint and be drawn in longer curves than a shot bristle one. The short bristle brush can be then used for the short sprouts. I also recommend using your head magnifier with LED lights for good viewing and control. Rich (PT-2)

Related to the recent thread from Dean and his own hawseView attachment 226569pipe scroll where I mentioned his ability to hand paint the decorative scroll and not using the YQ metal one as a template, here is a good view of a scroll with the added detailing for those wanting to have a higher quality scroll using a very fine brush probably obtained from a local art supply store. There are both short and long bristle brushes and I recommend using the long bristle one which can carry more paint and be drawn in longer curves than a shot bristle one. The short bristle brush can be then used for the short sprouts. I also recommend using your head magnifier with LED lights for good viewing and control. Rich (PT-2)
Here are three photos of Bluenose model built by Capt. George Myra, the last captain of the schooner taken to Glouchester for the last international competition. Afterwards he began the Bluenose Model by Capt George Myra , Whole Model.jpgmodel and corresponded with other crew members about details. It is said to be the most accurate model according to Adrian Morrison, archivist for the mBluenose Model by Capt George Myra , Midships.jpgBluenose Model by Capt George Myra , Aft.jpgmuseum in Lunenberg
Rich

Here are three photos of Bluenose model built by Capt. George Myra, the last captain of the schooner taken to Glouchester for the last international competition. Afterwards he began the View attachment 227754model and corresponded with other crew members about details. It is said to be the most accurate model according to Adrian Morrison, archivist for the mView attachment 227750View attachment 227751museum in Lunenberg
Rich
I am very surprised he used sheets for the deck, and that the winch is missing so much. But overall a very good effort! :)

Yes, the museum has his notes and documents that he was using in the project across possibly years in his older age. I have asked for some more photos and about the decking. Rich
I have been studying the winch. After I finish with the hull and rudder, I am building the winch. Seeing what is provided by YQ, I will be doing a lot of scratch building. ;)

I have been studying the winch. After I finish with the hull and rudder, I am building the winch. Seeing what is provided by YQ, I will be doing a lot of scratch building. ;)
The old photos of the foredeck winch/windlass should be of some help as they were to me. The parts in the MS2130 kit were pretty bad and the plans too detailed to coordinate with those so I also looked at The Suburban Ship Modeler build log, one for each assembly which were of some assisisting photos but ina 2017 kit were differently cast and assembled. Just a thought to look at for your scratch build. Put enough sand/carbon together under enough (build) pressure and you may find a diamond. Rich

The old photos of the foredeck winch/windlass should be of some help as they were to me. The parts in the MS2130 kit were pretty bad and the plans too detailed to coordinate with those so I also looked at The Suburban Ship Modeler build log, one for each assembly which were of some assisisting photos but ina 2017 kit were differently cast and assembled. Just a thought to look at for your scratch build. Put enough sand/carbon together under enough (build) pressure and you may find a diamond. Rich
I may have posted this before but it is an interesting YouTube coverage of William J. Roue the designer:
Rich

I may have posted this before but it is an interesting YouTube coverage of William J. Roue the designer:
Rich
One thread of examination of the views is how much was removed for racing to reduce displacement weight and windage aloft which the Glouchester competitors did not like and some comment was unsportsman-like according to the Chappelle book but to the Nova Scotia competitors winning was the objective.

One thread of examination of the views is how much was removed for racing to reduce displacement weight and windage aloft which the Glouchester competitors did not like and some comment was unsportsman-like according to the Chappelle book but to the Nova Scotia competitors winning was the objective.
Here is the latest YouTube from the 100th Celebration which focuses upon the schooner fishery out of Lunenberg and of the major at sea fishing of Bluenose:
Take a look at the conditions onboard most of which would not be present when racing.
Rich

Here is the latest YouTube from the 100th Celebration which focuses upon the schooner fishery out of Lunenberg and of the major at sea fishing of Bluenose:
Take a look at the conditions onboard most of which would not be present when racing.
Rich
To view the video you may have to click on the link under "this video unavailable" as it will come up to be played after you click on that underlined link. Sorry for the extra step that was not expected but then fishing is never predicable . . . just hoped for, and if not successful in one location we proceed to another. Rich (PT-2)

I like to read the captains log for their present activities and to see the upcoming coastal visits. Rich
As an aside from model details but related to the flowing lines of the schooner, here is a restated evaluation of the buttock lines from Roue's design 17, later named Bluenose, which really need to be compared with the lines but those are under copyright and I don't want to push this too far. The following is from The American Fishing Schooners by Howard Chapelle on page 196:
" . . . At any rate Bluenose was built to race and to fit the official measurements for competitors in the international Fishing Schooner Races, and fitness for fishing, though required, was relatively superficial.
The Bluenose is shown in Plate 130 wit deck and sheer raised forward, she was 143'-0" long under the main rail cap, 17"-0" extreme beam, and 14'-0" depth at side. Shed had a marked sheer as altered, and this is shown in the Plate, as shown, straight keel having small drag and running forward almost to Section 7, then rising in a long almost straight fore rake to a rather long-overhang bow. The stern was formed with a strongly raking post and a fairly long counter with a heart-shaped transom. The entrance was long and sharp, and the run was long with some straight in the buttocks. The midsection had some hollow in the sharply rising floor, a high and rather hard bilge, with some tumblehome in the topside. The Bluenose was a powerful vessel well able to carry sail in the hands of her captain, who was an aggressive, unsportsmanlike, and abusive man, but a prime sailor."

None of which assists group members in their YQ or other kits' model builds but offers perspectives to look for in your own model as it progresses.

I had not heard the term, "buttocks" before and had to look that up which Wiki produced as:
Noun. buttock line (plural buttock lines) (aviation, ship-building) A curve indicating the shape of an airfoil or nautical equivalent in a vertical plane parallel to the longitudinal axis of the craft or vessel.

I had been more familiar with "scantlings" which Wiki shows as:
In shipbuilding, the scantling refers to the collective dimensions of the framing (apart from the keel) to which planks or plates are attached to form the hull. The word is most often used in the plural to describe how much structural strength in the form of girders, I-beams, etc. is in a given section.

So now I understand that dimensions taken from buttocks (either drawing or hull model) lead to the scantlings which are the beginning of frames in POF modeling. . . live and learn in SoS for me. Rich (PT-2)

As an aside from model details but related to the flowing lines of the schooner, here is a restated evaluation of the buttock lines from Roue's design 17, later named Bluenose, which really need to be compared with the lines but those are under copyright and I don't want to push this too far. The following is from The American Fishing Schooners by Howard Chapelle on page 196:
" . . . At any rate Bluenose was built to race and to fit the official measurements for competitors in the international Fishing Schooner Races, and fitness for fishing, though required, was relatively superficial.
The Bluenose is shown in Plate 130 wit deck and sheer raised forward, she was 143'-0" long under the main rail cap, 17"-0" extreme beam, and 14'-0" depth at side. Shed had a marked sheer as altered, and this is shown in the Plate, as shown, straight keel having small drag and running forward almost to Section 7, then rising in a long almost straight fore rake to a rather long-overhang bow. The stern was formed with a strongly raking post and a fairly long counter with a heart-shaped transom. The entrance was long and sharp, and the run was long with some straight in the buttocks. The midsection had some hollow in the sharply rising floor, a high and rather hard bilge, with some tumblehome in the topside. The Bluenose was a powerful vessel well able to carry sail in the hands of her captain, who was an aggressive, unsportsmanlike, and abusive man, but a prime sailor."

None of which assists group members in their YQ or other kits' model builds but offers perspectives to look for in your own model as it progresses.

I had not heard the term, "buttocks" before and had to look that up which Wiki produced as:
Noun. buttock line (plural buttock lines) (aviation, ship-building) A curve indicating the shape of an airfoil or nautical equivalent in a vertical plane parallel to the longitudinal axis of the craft or vessel.

I had been more familiar with "scantlings" which Wiki shows as:
In shipbuilding, the scantling refers to the collective dimensions of the framing (apart from the keel) to which planks or plates are attached to form the hull. The word is most often used in the plural to describe how much structural strength in the form of girders, I-beams, etc. is in a given section.

So now I understand that dimensions taken from buttocks (either drawing or hull model) lead to the scantlings which are the beginning of frames in POF modeling. . . live and learn in SoS for me. Rich (PT-2)
Here is the latest YouTube on the construction of Bluenose II
Rich

Here is the latest YouTube on the construction of Bluenose II
Rich
This was more of a litany of who the historian talked with about construction which was not that much but for my eye I kept looking at the large model over his left shoulder looking at the running rigging for the main and fore gaff sails silloueted in front of the well lit sails for consideration of how those lifts are shown in my own plans and information. Often the gems of detail and information are in plain sight if you manage to notice them. For me those were the value of the long narrative.
Rich

This was more of a litany of who the historian talked with about construction which was not that much but for my eye I kept looking at the large model over his left shoulder looking at the running rigging for the main and fore gaff sails silloueted in front of the well lit sails for consideration of how those lifts are shown in my own plans and information. Often the gems of detail and information are in plain sight if you manage to notice them. For me those were the value of the long narrative.
Rich
A new photo of BN in racing form is very briefly shown with 7:30 to the end. It shows clearly port forward chain plates and less distinct those of the port main. Rich

Back