Bluenose Old Photos, Books, and resources from the past

That is a picture of the Endeavour replica under construction in Fremantle WA. in 1989/1990
Something like this?
View attachment 237024

Not pirated. Borrowed to show it can be done for non profit or private use. Admins should probably delete once you have had a look Rich.
DM me for method if you want for your own use.
It is interesting to scroll through the old archival photos of the schooners involved with the International Fishermans Races to examine the rigging and other small details to determine/estimate if the schooner was rigged for fishing or racing. With some time spent in studying plans and old photos the differences are visible and easy to spot in some instances. Walters would reduce as much "unwanted burden" and windage/friction elements as possible for the fastest sailing schooner that he could compete with under the conditions that he was anticipating. Not always complying with the "rules" and seeking the win.
Reading as many books as are available from different authors and topics gradually build up a resource bank, if the factors can be remembered, to solve the visual equation in the photos. Just a thought and fun undertaking for those interested in such things. . . some of which may be included or excluded in each builders choices. Rich (PT-2)

It is interesting to scroll through the old archival photos of the schooners involved with the International Fishermans Races to examine the rigging and other small details to determine/estimate if the schooner was rigged for fishing or racing. With some time spent in studying plans and old photos the differences are visible and easy to spot in some instances. Walters would reduce as much "unwanted burden" and windage/friction elements as possible for the fastest sailing schooner that he could compete with under the conditions that he was anticipating. Not always complying with the "rules" and seeking the win.
Reading as many books as are available from different authors and topics gradually build up a resource bank, if the factors can be remembered, to solve the visual equation in the photos. Just a thought and fun undertaking for those interested in such things. . . some of which may be included or excluded in each builders choices. Rich (PT-2)
Here is an old article describing the loss of Bluenose and what was recoverable.

Attachments

• The End of a Thoroughbred.pdf
    175.4 KB · Views: 24
No problem, Rich.
Much better then 4 pages of text in een post ;). But thats MHO. And more easy to save the document.
Interesting information!
Regards, Peter
Not an old resource but the latest Bluenose 100 YouTube making a general coverage.
Related to my prior search for the running board lights of BN in that thread is provided an answer in a model built by a BN Crewmember. Look at 3:45 into the video for some close views of the model which the curator has told me is the most accurate that he knows of.
Rich

Not an old resource but the latest Bluenose 100 YouTube making a general coverage.
Related to my prior search for the running board lights of BN in that thread is provided an answer in a model built by a BN Crewmember. Look at 3:45 into the video for some close views of the model which the curator has told me is the most accurate that he knows of.
Rich
You may have to click onto a link for all of the YouTube weekly presentations to find the last one for the Virtua Tour. Find a line and link for access to all of the YouTube Channel videos to access this last one. Sorry about the technical challenges that I present from my humble and limited skill set. Rich

As an entertaining but very informative coverage of the last voyage of an all sail fishing schooner out of the Northwest to go salt cod fishing in 1950. her last voyage,. We are building a fishing schooner that was actually built for racing but had to put in her full season on the Banks. Look at the details aboard and aloft as well ash the dory fishing itself.
The captain gives the narrative so have you speakers on.
Salt goes well with Margaritas as well.
Rich

@Uwek Uwe posted in the build-log of Dean a link:
BTW - there are other great photos which are possible to zoom

You can also filter on Bluenose:
-> Bluenose pictures <-=

And very very very much other very interesting pictures.
Thanxs Uwe.
Regards, Peter

@Uwek Uwe posted in the build-log of Dean a link:

You can also filter on Bluenose:
-> Bluenose pictures <-=

And very very very much other very interesting pictures.
Thanxs Uwe.
Regards, Peter
These are great additions to our resources for views of many aspects of the schooner fishing era. Thanks for bringing these forth as there are links within the links worth the time to make the voyage. Rich (PT-2)

These are great additions to our resources for views of many aspects of the schooner fishing era. Thanks for bringing these forth as there are links within the links worth the time to make the voyage. Rich (PT-2)
Not the Bluenose of 1938 but from the other side of the pier is this documentary on Ben Pine's Theabeau (Sp. ???) Entertaining and visually informative with old movies and narrative.
Rich

Not the Bluenose of 1938 but from the other side of the pier is this documentary on Ben Pine's Theabeau (Sp. ???) Entertaining and visually informative with old movies and narrative.
Rich
When you need to take a break from tedious repetitive work, you may want to take up the songs and rhythms of the crew and islanders of this working vessel among the remote islands of the Cook group. The crew knows how to have fun and sail the ship island to island selling their goods.
Some rigging things to see related to rigging of a schooner which this is and its function as Bluenose was sold to the West Indies trade functions during WWII. Rich

When you need to take a break from tedious repetitive work, you may want to take up the songs and rhythms of the crew and islanders of this working vessel among the remote islands of the Cook group. The crew knows how to have fun and sail the ship island to island selling their goods.
Some rigging things to see related to rigging of a schooner which this is and its function as Bluenose was sold to the West Indies trade functions during WWII. Rich
Not an old BN but a YouTube video of BNII showing laying the 3rd, 4th, and last ceiling layers inside. Brought it up as some of the crew are working on the inside and faces of the frames at various stages, so asking . . how far will you go?
Rich

Not an old BN but a YouTube video of BNII showing laying the 3rd, 4th, and last ceiling layers inside. Brought it up as some of the crew are working on the inside and faces of the frames at various stages, so asking . . how far will you go?
Rich
Well now. . . that was the wrong one and of another kit BN model in many parts it's own presentation and not what I have seen in more vetted models. Still it looks nice.
Here is a second attempt at the BNII ceiling layers.
Rich

Well now. . . that was the wrong one and of another kit BN model in many parts it's own presentation and not what I have seen in more vetted models. Still it looks nice.
Here is a second attempt at the BNII ceiling layers.
Rich
For builders rigging various types of vessels as well as some more focused aspects toward the end of this pdf here is general resource that my provide some assistance in detailing; Rich

Attachments

• 04_-_Rigs_and_Rigging.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
For builders rigging various types of vessels as well as some more focused aspects toward the end of this pdf here is general resource that my provide some assistance in detailing; Rich
For those desiring to place bulkheads on the lower deck for the holds, here are two drawings to unknown scale but with sufficient items shown for placement of the bulkheads, Saga page 66
p 66  1921 Holds Bulkheads.jpg
Sorry about the inverted photo which did that for unknown reasons from my "smart???" phone.
Now 1935 illustration from page 67Holds Bulkheads 1935.jpg
The holds are identified in both of the drawings.
Rich (PT-2)

For those desiring to place bulkheads on the lower deck for the holds, here are two drawings to unknown scale but with sufficient items shown for placement of the bulkheads, Saga page 66
View attachment 243216
Sorry about the inverted photo which did that for unknown reasons from my "smart???" phone.
Now 1935 illustration from page 67View attachment 243217
The holds are identified in both of the drawings.
Rich (PT-2)
I will post this new/used book within our BN Group as I doubt that it contains material for a builder and is more related to those with the final chapter in the Bluenose after she was sold by Capt. Walters to two wealthy young men from New York who "chartered" her for a number of months before buying her out.
The book contains the handwritten notes, letters, documents, and photos in the Cuba area which well cover her last sad years.
Bluenose WWII Years.jpg
Bluenose WW II Years Contents.jpg
this looks like a slow read at first glance and not the stuff of engrossing activities and imagery.
This one closes out my Bluenose collection as I see it right now.
Rich (PT-2)

@PT-2 That is a very important addition Rich. This is what makes History so fascinating to me. For sure, there are those events in history we would rather not talk about, but we can't ignore them - they are after all, History! :) Throughout her illustrious career, the emphasis has rightly fallen on BN's achievements as a racing vessel and fishing schooner, but as this book details her last years, is also of vital importance., The fact that the story of the last years does not rival the heights of the great years in our perception, does not make it any less important.

The sight of two of South Africa's three Daphne-class submarines, being hacked into oblivion and reduced to scrap metal was certainly not what the imaginary script writers in the minds of those who had a connection to them, had in mind. Yet, that is what happened and as such it should be recorded as history. Maybe, just maybe, someone can learn something from that in future.

@PT-2 That is a very important addition Rich. This is what makes History so fascinating to me. For sure, there are those events in history we would rather not talk about, but we can't ignore them - they are after all, History! :) Throughout her illustrious career, the emphasis has rightly fallen on BN's achievements as a racing vessel and fishing schooner, but as this book details her last years, is also of vital importance., The fact that the story of the last years does not rival the heights of the great years in our perception, does not make it any less important.

The sight of two of South Africa's three Daphne-class submarines, being hacked into oblivion and reduced to scrap metal was certainly not what the imaginary script writers in the minds of those who had a connection to them, had in mind. Yet, that is what happened and as such it should be recorded as history. Maybe, just maybe, someone can learn something from that in future.
Unfortunately this erasure and removal of history in the USA currently will hasten the loss of those events and personalities in the minds of younger people but the facts still remain whether they are liked or not. Very sad evolution of the present for the future. Just my own thoughts. Rich

Back