Bluenose Old Photos, Books, and resources from the past

Moving from on deck to the canvass loft with a new mainsail being sewn for BNII
The weekly Bluenose 100 You Tube posting shows the measuring, cutting and sewing of this massive sail . . . with luck it should be here
Rich (PT-2)

Moving from on deck to the canvass loft with a new mainsail being sewn for BNII
The weekly Bluenose 100 You Tube posting shows the measuring, cutting and sewing of this massive sail . . . with luck it should be here
Rich (PT-2)
A new photo put up by Peter showing Bluenose under construction in the Smith and Ruhland Ship Yard . . . right outside on the rocks which are still there today.Bluenose Construction Ways.jpeg

A new photo put up by Peter showing Bluenose under construction in the Smith and Ruhland Ship Yard . . . right outside on the rocks which are still there today.View attachment 258652
So where is the long mains'l boom tackle stowed when at anchor???? Take a look at this photo for those who are presenting without sails but rigging. Different that other views I think.
Main Boom Tackle Stowage.jpg
That is a lot of line neatly draped over the boom.
Rich (PT-2)

A new photo put up by Peter showing Bluenose under construction in the Smith and Ruhland Ship Yard . . . right outside on the rocks which are still there today.View attachment 258652
Uuhh ….. I forgot to mention the source:
Your post #8 from dec. 17th last year: ;)
Thanx Rich for posting. It is very useful for me. :)
Regards, Peter

Uuhh ….. I forgot to mention the source:
Your post #8 from dec. 17th last year: ;)
Thanx Rich for posting. It is very useful for me. :)
Regards, Peter
I am glad that it helps you. Rich

Check out this beautiful photo that I saw on Facebook earlier:

That would be a wonderful surprise view after landing on the green to see on a foggy morning in some harbor. Rich

That would be a wonderful surprise view after landing on the green to see on a foggy morning in some harbor. Rich
Here is an excellent You Tube that focuses upon the ties between Lunenberg and Glouster fisheries. Note the photos showing differing sail positions for the same ones high aloft and the caulking and other deck. work. One stern view of Bluenose shows her with the masonic emblem on the transom. Just another set of background presentations adding to our enjoyment of the models.
Rich (PT-2)

The Bluenose 100 weekly YouTube postings have ended with this final Banner Title:
The International Races & more! The Final Bluenose 100 Newsletter!
For a good descriptive presentation of her racing and a number of related photos for each event I suggest typing the title into a Google Search so that you can see this. It was not a YouTube in itself so I could not copy the link which was received in my email.
The celebration is not over until her full launching year has passed even if the events organizers/producers have tied up their hawsers and gone off the pier.
Rich

From the Boston Public Library: Boston Harbor 1920's-1930's.
Haven't spotted the Bluenose, but she might be there, somewhere.
From what I scanned, a lot of valuable information can be gathered on the ins and outs (reilen en zeilen, one got to love these old Dutch sayings) of fishing in those days.

Last edited:
Just posted here:
-> Down to the Sea <-

View attachment 281120
A beautiful book with more than 160 photos. Where I come across nice details that I can use for my BN.
Here are some additional photos:
View attachment 281121
View attachment 281122
View attachment 281123
Regards, Peter
Old photos are diamonds found in the dross of the sands of the seas that make this type of book so valuable to your collection and schooner build. Thanks for sharing it. Rich (PT-2)

Just posted here:
-> Down to the Sea <-

View attachment 281120
A beautiful book with more than 160 photos. Where I come across nice details that I can use for my BN.
Here are some additional photos:
View attachment 281121
View attachment 281122
View attachment 281123
Regards, Peter
Quickly found a used copy for $9.99 to add to my collection even though my BN is completed, the history of the fishing schooners is fascinating to me. Thanks again for the posting of this book which would be of value to all BN builders. Rich (PT-2)

Today arrived this great book. With for me a lot of new pictures. With very good source references for all the pictures. I now know that there are several pictures on the internet that are assigned to wrong schooners.
Also nice pictures with details of the masts/booms/gaffs and rigging. From the Bluenose as well as some others such as the Gertrude L. Thebaud.
1675868595385.png
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Today arrived this great book. With for me a lot of new pictures. With very good source references for all the pictures. I now know that there are several pictures on the internet that are assigned to wrong schooners.
Also nice pictures with details of the masts/booms/gaffs and rigging. For the Bluenose as well as some others such as the Gertrude L. Thebaud.
View attachment 356092
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, This sure looks like a great book, will have to look into acquiring a copy, Thanks.
Regards Lawrence

Also nice pictures with details of the masts/booms/gaffs and rigging. From the Bluenose as well as some others such as the Gertrude L. Thebaud.
View attachment 356092
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter.

Thank you Peter. Yes the Bluenose story is fascinating and has a special place in our Canadian hearts. Launched in 1921, appeared on the Canadian dime in 1937. Today we have the Bluenose ll to help us celebrate a Canadian icon.

Thank you Peter. Yes the Bluenose story is fascinating and has a special place in our Canadian hearts. Launched in 1921, appeared on the Canadian dime in 1937. Today we have the Bluenose ll to help us celebrate a Canadian icon.
That right, Marc. And of course on the 100 Years Celebrating coins of 2021!
I hope to visit her in the near future.
Regards, Peter

Back