Kit review BLUENOSE SCHOONER POF MODEL -1:72 – YuanQing Models

Hello Heinrich, yes you are very correct with the Photo-etched letters, this is what I had in mind to start but failed to be able to get my point across, Thanks again for all of your help and input into this Bluenose kit. When can I place my order.
Regards Lawrence
I think we are all in debt to @Clair G for his excellent suggestion. He has put in words, what I am sure we all had in mind, but - like you say - just did not formulate properly.

Hello Heinrich, I have another question for you and that is there a sail kit Avaible for this Great Bluenose Kit. I for one love to see these sailing ships under full sail. Having them in the harbor mood seams to take away from there true beauty, but this is just my 2 cents worth. If not then my Admiral will have to sew up a set, that is if she volunteers!
Regards Lawrence

Wow - great review!
And a high-quality KIT!
I can only find fault with the use of beech wood! From him just dazzled by spots in the eyes!
If the manufacturers wanted to make a light deck, it could be maple or other monochromatic wood. But not a spotted beech)))
Hello Olya. It is great to hear from you and your positive comments about the kit!. I would also have thought that Maple would be a good idea, but they chose the Beech wood. I agree that the unfinished wood looks "spotted" in the pictures, but on the finished model, the deck is uniformly coloured though!

O1CN01wEBj652KebjR2sbBJ_!!63489582 - 副本.jpg

Well, i am intending on getting one, i really want to build this model and display it at my summer cottage, so yes. But probably not before christmas, though. I would love to have it with sails, but it is no big deal to make them myself if i want them :)
That is wonderful news Virtakuono - and Christmas is just around the corner. I will add you to our list of buyers in the meantime so that you are kept in the loop of all development. YuanQing mentioned that there are no sails at the moment - but that may be added later.

HEINRICH, LIKE THE IDEA AS LAWRENCE AND OTHERS, ONE OTHER THING AS MORE AND MORE ARE JOINING IN PURCHASING AS STATED BEFORE ABOUT A GROUP BUILD IF NOT HERE ON SOS WHAT ABOUT MSB, JUST A THOUGHT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND ANNA DON
Thank you for your input Don! We now have 10 people interested in the kit - and that is all within an extremely short space of time. In fact, this Kit Review will have attracted as near as makes no difference to 1000 views in 24-hours. The SOS moderators should be well aware of this - if not - I have tagged them. :D I do think however, that it is also important to hear others' views and opinions - so please let us know what you think.

@Uwek; @Jimsky; @zoly99sask; @Donnie ; @NMBROOK ; @Peglegreg ; @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Hello Heinrich, I have another question for you and that is there a sail kit Avaible for this Great Bluenose Kit. I for one love to see these sailing ships under full sail. Having them in the harbor mood seams to take away from there true beauty, but this is just my 2 cents worth. If not then my Admiral will have to sew up a set, that is if she volunteers!
Regards Lawrence
Lawrence as I have mentioned to @Virtakuono , there are no sails available at the moment. I have heard through the YuanQing grapevine, that it may be offered later and will obviously keep you posted in that regard. But bear in mind that this is a kind of "Admiralty" build - hence the reason why no sails are offered at the moment.

Hallo Heinrich,
first of all congratulations and many thanks for this very informative and detailed kit review.
It is looking really like a very interesting kit, which will find the way to customers.
Also a very interesting original vessel, which will fit very well to other fishing schooners. I think there is also the America in the same scale of 1:72 available from other producers (off course not POF).
This model is very attractive because of the POF structure showing the frames, beams etc.
Therefore I guess most of the modelers will be happy with the given and by the manufacturer defined deck-planking.

View attachment 192507

View attachment 192508

It seems that in the kit the portside deck planking is prepared - also with a fixed opening (see red arrows) - and for starboard the deck is not included.
The shown wooden strips I guess are for the hull planking (maybe also only for one side. (BTW: Which kind of timber are they?)
Maybe it would be good, that YuanQing Models would add enough wooden strips for both sides of the hull, but also strips for the complete deck planking.
It is only a suggestion, to make this kit more attractive, because I am sure, that several modelers would like to show the deck planking different than the defined laser deck. Just a thought.....
I agree with Uek's suggestion which I would term a recommendation or at least providing a means to obtain the same wood species and sizes to do the build as suggested. One aside thought. . . is this kit presenting Bluenose in the fishing or racing manner as there are differences between the two in what was present and needed for each task. Rich

From the good critique of how to get the transom name onto the transom between the main and monkey rails, from the old photos it appears as it was consistently painted and not carved in or with raised letters. It is hard for me to envision how to tightly wrap and set a stencil there to avoid paint bleed-out underneath. It seems that we are still looking for a good solution unless we can shrink a sign painter who is skilled in lettering and emblems. A related problem remains for the bow name but on that surface it seems more easily solved. Still considering the options and probably a solution will emerge as the actual build is at that point of finishing. If a decal material could be used in a matt finish and not the glossy it would sit back better. Perhaps finishing this part of the hull with overcoats of a matt clear finish, or semi-gloss as the builder desires would work. Which would possibly not work with an oiled finish of the Pear wood. Other ideas?? Rich (PT-2)
I too would vote for option #2, with the Masonic symbol.
Given the issues described with decals, is some sort of prefab stencil a realistic solution for this? I've never stenciled or even painted letters on a ship yet, so I'm just spitballing ideas, and would love to hear how more experienced modelers would approach this.
I will have to explore decal media more closely as if we are considering the black finish and not a natural wood, which could be very visually attractive but not true to the schooner, we need either a black with white letters/logo per the photos, or a clear media with white letters permitting the black painted finish to show through but still needing that matt finish of the media or overcoated with the entire band for continuity of finish. Still thinking but a name is not going to delay the launching. Oh yes. . . the display name could have the full name, loge as desired, and Lunenberg N.S. as it would appear on the transom with possible dating as desired of her life span. Rich

Lawrence as I have mentioned to @Virtakuono , there are no sails available at the moment. I have heard through the YuanQing grapevine, that it may be offered later and will obviously keep you posted in that regard. But bear in mind that this is a kind of "Admiralty" build - hence the reason why no sails are offered at the moment.
Hello Heinrich, I must of misted that one, Thanks looks like my Admiral Bernadette will be busy this winter, that is if she volunteers.
Regards Lawrence

I will have to explore decal media more closely as if we are considering the black finish and not a natural wood, which could be very visually attractive but not true to the schooner, we need either a black with white letters/logo per the photos, or a clear media with white letters permitting the black painted finish to show through but still needing that matt finish of the media or overcoated with the entire band for continuity of finish. Still thinking but a name is not going to delay the launching. Oh yes. . . the display name could have the full name, loge as desired, and Lunenberg N.S. as it would appear on the transom with possible dating as desired of her life span. Rich
For dating of the transom photo with Walters and the Masonic emblem I just found a reference (not verified) stating that it was taken in 1935 just before a voyage to England. Need to confirm that dating. Rich

For dating of the transom photo with Walters and the Masonic emblem I just found a reference (not verified) stating that it was taken in 1935 just before a voyage to England. Need to confirm that dating. Rich
OK. . . confirmed the 1935 date for the voyage to England:
icknamed the "Queen of the North Atlantic," the Bluenose represented Nova Scotia around the world. It appeared at the Chicago World Fair in 1933 and crossed the Atlantic to England in 1935 to attend the silver jubilee of King George V.

The Canadian Encyclopedia that I found on line. Rich

OK. . . confirmed the 1935 date for the voyage to England:
icknamed the "Queen of the North Atlantic," the Bluenose represented Nova Scotia around the world. It appeared at the Chicago World Fair in 1933 and crossed the Atlantic to England in 1935 to attend the silver jubilee of King George V.

The Canadian Encyclopedia that I found on line. Rich
As an aside related to the voyage to England and King George V, Silver Jubilee, it was and is traditional that members of the royal family have been engaged as Grand Masters of the United Grand Lodge of England. At the time of Bluenose visitation the 5th Grand Master was Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (1901–1939). Although not found are any official exchanges between Grand Master Prince Arthur, with Angus Walters, a Master Mason, it is highly likely that the prince as a member of the royal family together with King George V would have had some type of meeting with Walters and possibly his crew at some point during the Bluenose presence. An additional tack to follow is that I will attempt to find if the Grand Lodge of Nova Scotia had any type of document for communication for Walters to take over and present in a manner of respect between the Grand Lodges. Just filling the hold as we continue our voyage with this present POF kit. Rich

Hello Jan. That is a good question.

Bear in mind though that the kit was conceived as an "Admiralty" style of build with the Port Side and deck portion fully planked and the Starboard side of the hull and deck open. This gives it the continuity of style which is typical of an Admiralty-type build. I have also had requests for the kit in 1:48 scale as well as a version in boxwood. The problem is that all these changes will come at an additional cost. For the time being, my chief concern is to launch the kit successfully in the West and to make the whole process as easy and seamless as possible. Once that is done, variances and changes can be investigated and a feasibility study done. :)

Back