BN at the Mississippi River . . .

One step further .......
Regards, Peter
Aww gimminy Peter . . .
I'm a guy who walks a treadmill for an hour every day always with an iPad vid going of some baroque choral music. Mostly from your own neighborhood, the annual Utrect Ould Music Festivals. I thought this Queen was horrid.

The funny part tho is that at the dinner table an hour ago I was describing my "shock and horror" to my wife and our 50 year old daughter. Daughter asked the name of the group and when I said Queen, she let out a shriek and went into deep belly laugh mode. "DAD!" she said, Queen is her all time ever favorite group!

Hmph, somewhere along the line Mama and I went wrong in raising her. ROTF ROTF ROTF

Last edited:
Aww gimminy Peter . . .
I'm a guy who walks a treadmill for an hour every day always with an iPad vid going of some baroque choral music. Mostly from your own neighborhood, the annual Utrect Ould Music Festivals. I thought this Queen was horrid.

The funny part tho is that at the dinner table an hour ago I was describing my "shock and horror" to my wife and our 50 year old daughter. Daughter asked the name of the group and when I said Queen, she let out a shriek and went into deep belly laugh mode. "DAD!" she said, Queen is her all time ever favorite group!

Hmph, somewhere along the line Mama and I went wrong in raising her. ROTF ROTF ROTF
Queen: Love the music, not a fan of the lifestyle. .. .

Aww gimminy Peter . . .

While I do enjoy baroque and romantic music, I also enjoy more contemporary music, the music of Queen being among those. Luckily, there is no arguing about taste.

Wouldn't say either you or your Admiral went wrong raising her; she was raised independent enough to make her own choices.
Too bad for you they don't match yours... ;)

Mostly from your own neighborhood, the annual Utrect Ould Music Festivals.
Hi Alf. What a nice story, the AHA with your daughter. A build-log with a nice sidestep.
About the quote above: it’s indeed nearby my hometown, but that’s also for the other D.B.B.S. fellows Johan and Henk:
What a coincidence!
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Well, this was an interesting one-night stand but I doubt I'll be taking this one home to meet mom and dad: this way of rigging a block that is.

Using a flat, pivot drill (they don't wander) I drilled a hole in the end of the block to accept the twisted shank of the .018 soft steel wire loop. The scrap wire fed through the sheave holes is to prevent the thick super glue from clogging the sheave holes and will be pulled out after the gluing. The twisted loop is close cut to length and super glued into the end of the block. Then the sheave holes are cleared by pulling out the scrap wire, leaving the result seen in the lower pic.

OK, it's feasible I suppose and this is just my first attempt, but I think it's crude. I don't like it. The loop looks too large and the whole thing looks oversize. I may talk myself into hanging it under my earlier made up jumbo jib boom and see if it might grow on me. I shall see what I shall see.
91A52C4A-2DDA-4B73-AF35-3D6738127356.jpeg012F8F2D-D2B4-427A-A92E-6DE95FBDB0C0.jpeg

Frames nos. 36 and 37:
Still reluctantly plugging along doing frames, one or two a day, one or a few days a week. My "tiles" of 1/2" plexi perform double duty. Perfectly flat and unbending they make a good frame assembly surface and they make a good top surface for weighting down the frames during glue curing. Between the 1-2-3 blocks there I have a little 3" segment of railroad track. Nice weight, nice little anvil, just another homemade hobby tool sometime or other maybe fifty years ago..

049D142D-D4AC-4C00-813C-57AE64833C7D.jpeg

DEA6993A-47C5-4CF7-93EE-7B8DE88EB610.jpeg

Frames nos. 36 and 37:
Still reluctantly plugging along doing frames, one or two a day, one or a few days a week. My "tiles" of 1/2" plexi perform double duty. Perfectly flat and unbending they make a good frame assembly surface and they make a good top surface for weighting down the frames during glue curing. Between the 1-2-3 blocks there I have a little 3" segment of railroad track. Nice weight, nice little anvil, just another homemade hobby tool sometime or other maybe fifty years ago..

View attachment 347774

View attachment 347775
That’s a good looking pressurized-stacking-method, Alf. Useable for many year.
Regards, Peter

Frames nos. 36 and 37:

View attachment 347774

View attachment 347775
Impressive setup! Add a little more weight and you'll have diamonds coming from underneath this stack-up...:D

And thus the official opening entry of my YQ BN Build Log.
My box from the ZHL axis of pirates (I learned that from over on everyone-knows-where) arrived today via DHL Express. The packing was superb, the kit box was first wrapped in very heavy kraft paper and the entire was then cocoon wrapped in a 2 inch wide yellow shipping tape. As expected all contents were in fine condition and I'm presuming, all there. I did not do a detailed inventory.

My first step was to get the dimensions of the layout fixture and take those over to my local industrial plastics dealer to have him cut me an 8 x 26 plate of 1/2 inch clear plexiglass. For some years I have liked using 1/2" clear plexi for all my modeling build fixtures. The stuff drills and taps beautifully for attaching whatever with various size machine screws. It is perfectly flat and never warps over time so I can leave a model project on the plate for months or years. I've built many things using white styrene and that stuff has zilch structural stiffness in small cross section and tends to draw toward weld joints as the solvent glue cures over several days or so. Being tightly screwed to the 1/2" plexi keeps things lined up during the cure time. My pic here of the plexi shows a few smaller plates I have on hand, my big one will be cut for me in the morning.

The set of drawing sheets from YQ I think are very impressive. To aid me with this build I felt it was worth buying the drawing set that Model Shipways sells separate from their 1/64 PoB kit. I primarily wanted to have additional info for the mast/spar work and block and tackle. The two sets of drawings nicely compliment each other; worth my investment.

I bought two glues, TITEBOND Original Wood and GORILLA Wood but was unable to currently find my long-time goto, ELMERS Carpenter, the brown one. I'll test these two while keeping my eyes out for a resupply of the ELMERS.

I'm not sure how proliffic a contributor I will be; geeze all of you who've gone ahead of me have really covered the subjects pretty well. Afterall, my rib work is hardly going to differ from what's already been shown. What I do promise for the benefit of folks who may yet begin their own, is that if I do something differently or use different tooling or whatever I will photo document those.

So tomorrow we'll begin punching wood and gluing assemblies; tonight we study paper
Thanks for your attention,
alf
View attachment 328258View attachment 328259View attachment 328260
Hallo @Alf in Iowa
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your project going?

Thank you kindly UWEK, Peter, RDN1954, and shota70.
I have no BN progress to report. Frankly, I burned out 2/3rds way thru frame building and since I call myself "a modeler" not particularly a ship modeler, I feel no guilt at putting it away till the bug bites again. Doesn't mean I've stopped following you guys with interest, just that I'm not presently knifing and gluing.

Back