Book review Book Review: "BUILDING PLANK-ON-FRAME SHIP MODELS" by Ron McCarthy

• Thread starter Thread starter Uwek
  • Start date Start date
  • Watchers Watchers 6
you can never have enough books in the library - it is like with clamps in the workshop
working on the models and also to be interested in new learning something new is keeping us young ......

I like books that I can’t understand. I’m currently reading The Built Up Ship Model Charles Davis (1933) and comprehending 30% of it (more diagrams please, Charlie).

It would have been 5% if I hadn’t read some PoF builds here. By the time I’ve built my second PoF, I’ll be up to 95%. I believe it keeps my brain fit for purpose.

Building the Wooden Wall by Brian Lavery.

Arrived today. It’s a description of the building of HMS Valliant, a 74. It goes into historical context, dockyard organisation, the development of the 74 and quite a lot of detailed information about the ship. It’s well written and illustrated with modern drawings, many photos of museum relics of blocks, tools etc, old paintings and engravings so on.

It’s NOT about building a model Valliant, though existing models are featured.

I’d say it was too academic for the general reader and too general for the model builder to scratchbuild a model from. It’s very useful to me, an inexperienced model maker with a passion for history.

I’ve only skimmed through so far but already learned some new things and will enjoy reading it at leisure if I ever have the time!

My copy of Building the Wooden Fighting Ship (by James Dodds and James Moore) arrived today. I've had a quick glance through it and find it similar in style to the book I mentioned two posts back, Building the Wooden Wall by Brian Lavery. It's " too academic for the general reader and too general for the model builder to scratchbuild a model from. It’s very useful to me, an inexperienced model maker with a passion for history. The two books each and together offer a thorough grounding in eighteenth century shipbuilding.

After reading these, I'd say you still need Longridge's Anatomy of Nelson's Ships and The Built Up Ship Model by Davis to complete the course. Both of them are detailed instructions in scratchbuilding, piece by piece, nail by nail.

Hmm. Now I am thinking of buying the Built Up Ship Model by Davis. I can get a Kindle edition for 13$ CAD. I have his book The Ship Model Builder`s Assistant.

I just received my copy of McCarthy's book. For the vast majority of the book, it looks to be very useful. A couple items that jumped out that are not addressed in the text are the wales, which should be tapered in thickness at the bow and the standing rigging. The wales do not appear to taper in thickness so they cannot possibly seat and be caulked at the rabbet at the bow. The standing rigging in the photos is all very light in color so appears not to have been treated
with pine tar (dark brown) as was the norm. His description of planking is good, but photos, drawings, and text on how to spile or properly edge
bend the planks would be helpful. The model shows the planking to be done as was done on a real ship unlike most kit planking, but a little more detail on how to do this would be helpful. Thankfully there are the on-line videos that explain this very nicely as well as a clear description in The Fully Framed Model. The sketch of the cannon is incorrect for the subject vessel, Cruiser 1752, as it appears to be a Borgard gun (1716-1724) rather than an Armstrong (1725-1759) that would be appropriate at the time Cruiser was launched. The carriage does not look quite right as well. A huge plus is that he gives several sources for rigging tables that will give the circumferences of all the various standing and running rigging lines on page 120. He also includes tables for this vessel's masts and yards. These would be useful for any size vessel. Another source of mast,yards, and rigging dimensions that he does not mention is James Lees' Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War.

There are MANY helpful things in this book and I would recommend it for anyone that wants to a scratch build or possibly some bashing of a kit to make some useful changes.

Allan

Thank you. I was looking for that but did not find it. I finally searched Chapman and then Sloop. There were only 9 so I was able to find the drawing by looking at the title.

I just tried it. Works great. Again thank you

warren

Back