Brazzera from MarisStella build log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi all,

My name is Chris and I’m new to this forum. I have posted some of my builds this last week and today I received my new model kit: the Brazzera from MarisStella. My first impression of this kit is superb. Comparing to my previous similar build, the Catalina from Mantua, this kit has many more details, much better quality wood, and is much more realistic.
I’ll start posting updates and questions as I go along.

E35226A7-28BC-4274-A16D-F79D0DE53F35.jpeg

Knowing the quality of your models you showed us already - this will be a highly interesting building log
Wish you a lot of fun with the better quality - you will enjoy the work with these materials

To protect the wood from staining, I apply a first layer of oil as quickly as possible. The manual indicates to use linseed-oil, however I use something available in dutch hardware stores (see picture), and which is typically used for outside wood furniture. From my limited experience, it does wonders to the wood. Typically, I will apply more layers as the ship progresses its completion.

IMG-7630.jpg

Some progress on the bulkheads. They are fixing with some clever interlocking with some strips at the top and at the keel. The instructions show many pictures on how to do this, since it is a bit tricky in getting it done in the right order. Afterwards, I've started with the inside of the hull and flooring. So far this has been a very nice building experience. Very different from my previous builds.
Also, I have been experimenting with staining the stand. I've used Mahonie wood stain. I'm still not convinced on the results.

IMG-7657 (1).jpg

IMG-7658 (1).jpg

IMG-7659 (1).jpg

This week I have continued working on the inside of the hull. I have deviated from the instructions by splitting the length in 3 parts similar to the compartments of the ship. This makes the planking much easier and the difference cannot be seen anyway. Also, I have build the beds and put the bulkhead supports. I took pictures as proof, since they will not be too visible when the deck is placed.
Next step is filling the spaces with balsa wood for the planking of the outer hull. Luckily, Olha Batchvarov has made a helpfull instruction video recently on another Maris Stella kit.

image_50423041.JPG

image_67219457.JPG

image_167851265.JPG

image_167844097.JPG

image_67515137.JPG

image_67201281.JPG

I have been working on the filler blocks. Still a lot of work to do there, but I will not fill the entire hull. Afterwards, I'll start planking the hull. The first strip will be the most important one and needs to be placed at the deck level. I'll take my time for it.

IMG-7742 (1).jpg

IMG-7745 (1).jpg

IMG-7744 (1).jpg

IMG-7743 (1).jpg

The first strip is placed on the outer hull! I kept it 5 mm in width, despite the manual suggestion of using 3 mm. Afterwards, I started to determine the planking thicknesses and amounts. So far it is pretty straightforward. Also, I sorted the hull strips on color to reduce large color contrast in the hull. My plan at this moment is to keep the natural wood color as much a possible.

IMG-7750 (1).jpg

IMG-7760 (1).jpg

IMG-7759 (1).jpg

IMG-7758 (1).jpg

IMG-7757 (1).jpg

IMG-7751 (1).jpg

I'm currently busy with the planking process, which takes its time. Since it is a single planking, I use the following process:
  • Place the strip on the hull and mark the positions where the thickness needs to be adjusted
  • Sand the strip to the correct thickness along the length. Also, sand the edge of the top of the strip to accommodate for the angle on the hull
  • Soak the strip in water to prevent it from breaking (30 minutes in cold water or 10 in hot)
  • Place the strip in the correct position using push pins
  • Release one half of the strip and put wood glue
  • Place back the half of the strip and repeat for the other half
  • Remove access glue and let the glue dry
I try to avoid any gaps and follow my markings as good as possible.

IMG-7816 (1).jpg

IMG-7815 (1).jpg

IMG-7781 (1).jpg

The first strip is placed on the outer hull! I kept it 5 mm in width, despite the manual suggestion of using 3 mm. Afterwards, I started to determine the planking thicknesses and amounts. So far it is pretty straightforward. Also, I sorted the hull strips on color to reduce large color contrast in the hull. My plan at this moment is to keep the natural wood color as much a possible.

View attachment 343657

View attachment 343658

View attachment 343659

View attachment 343660

View attachment 343661

View attachment 343662
Hello Cripton, I noticed that you have bandaged the interior, I don't think these boats have internal plating, inform yourself.

Hello Cripton, I noticed that you have bandaged the interior, I don't think these boats have internal plating, inform yourself.
:):):):):) Hello all... This is a brilliant build going on here! Fantastic work Crypton!

Here is the information:

Brazzera, Trabaccolo and Stilac were coastal cargo ships. They were transporting barrels, bags, food, livestock, wine, oil... and so on... In fact, they were transporting everything that people on the islands needed for their daily life... Now the important part: they were transporting huge amounts of building materials: brick, gravel, sea sand... Gravel and sand were stored directly below deck, filling it up from bottom to the top.... Of course, the interior lining is installed to keep everything in place...
... sometimes the smaller ships had no inner planking but they had ramps inside to protect the outer planking...

:):):):):) Hello all... This is a brilliant build going on here! Fantastic work Crypton!

Here is the information:

Brazzera, Trabaccolo and Stilac were coastal cargo ships. They were transporting barrels, bags, food, livestock, wine, oil... and so on... In fact, they were transporting everything that people on the islands needed for their daily life... Now the important part: they were transporting huge amounts of building materials: brick, gravel, sea sand... Gravel and sand were stored directly below deck, filling it up from bottom to the top.... Of course, the interior lining is installed to keep everything in place...
... sometimes the smaller ships had no inner planking but they had ramps inside to protect the outer planking...

Hello Maris Stella, my suggestion was just to inform, to give more reality to the model, that's all, Thanks for the information. To be more concise, the floors rest on the keel without skewing the keel

Last edited:
Very good work on the Brazzera - Bravo -> this will get a very interesting building log
I am happy that the designer of the kit already answered the remark related to the inner planking
because: the bigger ones had inner planking

Very good work on the Brazzera - Bravo -> this will get a very interesting building log
I am happy that the designer of the kit already answered the remark related to the inner planking
because: the bigger ones had inner planking
Hi Uwe, I thanked Maris Stella for the information given but, I want to clarify that even the larger boats in this regard do not have internal plating. Frank

Crypton, nice looking build you have going on.

I like your photos and comments on what and why for the step your taking.

Will be watching as you progress.

Small update on the progress. I have finished the planking up to a point, where I will switch direction, and will be going from the bottom upwards. Otherwise, I will most likely finish planking parallel to the keel. So far, I have managed to do the planking without gaps and after sanding the hull will look smooth.

image_67193089 (1).JPG

image_67168769 (1) (1).JPG

image_50419201 (1).JPG

image_67168769 (3).JPG

Back