Brazzera from MarisStella build log [COMPLETED BUILD]

After a nice Xmas vacation, I got back to the planking process. I continued from the keel side upwards using the lighter colored strips. The gradient is not too well visable on the picture, and I'm wondering how it will look after treating the wood. As you might see from the pictures, I'm improvising with the planking process/technique. I decided to keep as many strips in full width as possible and I deal with the curvature of the hull by creating pointy ends at the end of the stips. The edges are still rough, but this I will fix after closing the hull.
My new year resolution is to finish the Brazzera this year!
All the best for 2023!!

IMG-7951 (1).jpg

IMG-7952 (1).jpg

IMG-7954 (1).jpg

IMG-7953 (1).jpg

I've finished the woodwork of the hull and started painting it. I've chosen crimson red. It will combine well with the black, dark brown hull, light brown deck and white (details). The color gradient in the wood is a bit faint on the pictures, but I'm happy how it turned out.
At this moment the red is much more shiny than the black, but after the varnish it will be the same glossiness.

IMG-7997.jpg

IMG-7996.jpg

IMG-7998.jpg

IMG-7999.jpg

After touching up the paintwork, I've finished the first layer of the deck. This went quick, since I used CA glue. Next, I started with the second layer of the deck, using wood glue. This will take more time and will be more precise. Meanwhile I started with the forecastle shuttle. Since this will be an eye catcher, I spent a bit more time on the details and decided to make the doors functional (still work in progress).

image_67182081 (1).JPG

image_67187201 (1).JPG

image_67204865 (1).JPG

image_67199489 (1).JPG

image_50377729 (2).JPG

image_67180801 (1).JPG

Hi all,

My name is Chris and I’m new to this forum. I have posted some of my builds this last week and today I received my new model kit: the Brazzera from MarisStella. My first impression of this kit is superb. Comparing to my previous similar build, the Catalina from Mantua, this kit has many more details, much better quality wood, and is much more realistic.
I’ll start posting updates and questions as I go along.

View attachment 337999
Hallo Chris alias @Crypton
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

The second layer of the desk is finished. I have put the strips in full length. Afterwards I draw the nails and plank-ends. The side and middle strips on the deck are stained with a mahonie color and I'm currently putting the top timber and deck elements.

IMG-8028.jpg

IMG-8029.jpg

IMG-8040.jpg

IMG-8042.jpg

Hello Crypton

I'm from Croatia, so somehow I feel the need to comment Your build. I've worked on a brazzera myself and it's a nice boat to work. This kit from Maristella is a very nice representation of a bracera and you do it very well, and I am glad to see boats from my part of the world being made all over the world.

I'm glad that Maristella kit's are on this forum. Although I mostly work according to plans, I think Maristella deserves it. I don't know what the quality of the material is, but the ships are really beautiful and finished with a lot of details.

So good luck in Your future work.

Hello Crypton

I'm from Croatia, so somehow I feel the need to comment Your build. I've worked on a brazzera myself and it's a nice boat to work. This kit from Maristella is a very nice representation of a bracera and you do it very well, and I am glad to see boats from my part of the world being made all over the world.

I'm glad that Maristella kit's are on this forum. Although I mostly work according to plans, I think Maristella deserves it. I don't know what the quality of the material is, but the ships are really beautiful and finished with a lot of details.

So good luck in Your future work.
Hi Barba,
Thank you for your kind words. I agree that this is a very nice kit and I like working on it a lot. The scale (1:32) of the boat makes the details come out nicely (especially later on in the build with the ropes and sails). The quality of the supplied material (wood, ropes, metal etched parts) is superior to that of Artesania Latina, Amati and Occre. Of course, I can only judge from my previous builds. There is good chance my next build will be from MarisStella as well.

This week again quite some progress due to very bad weather conditions. Today however, it is extremely sunny, therefore my pictures are all shiny and with super contrast. Anyhow, the quality of the wooden rigging blocks (I do not know the official name) is great, and the various thicknesses of the provided ropes are giving it an extra touch of realism.
A small point of criticism however on the kit is that in my case it did not contain enough rigging blocks with 2 holes in it. Luckily, I have spare ones from previous builds.

IMG-8185.jpg

IMG-8183.jpg

IMG-8184.jpg

IMG-8186.jpg

IMG-8187.jpg

IMG-8189.jpg

IMG-8192.jpg

Steady progress this week :)
I'm really happy with the floating look of the ship with the transparent stand. Also the shiny pins to hang the ropes are too nice to make black (as instructed by the manual). I guess I'll compromise realism for looks a bit in this build.

image_67175681.JPG

image_16865281.JPG

image_50449409.JPG

image_67194625.JPG

image_67211777.JPG

image_67222529.JPG

image_167849217.JPG

Since I'm close to finishing the model kit, I decided to get started with the sails. The manual gives very nice step-by-step instructions, which are easy to follow. The pictures show the process after I had CA clued the edges and cut out the sail.
  • Fold the border and glue with diluted wood glue
  • Glue a rope on the inside of the border.
  • Fold another time, so the inner rope end up on the edge of the sail and glue with diluted wood glue
  • Saw a thin rope just behind the inner rope on the edge
  • CA glue a rope on the outside edge of the sail
  • Saw a thin rope to again and tighten the outer rope following the previous thin rope
This takes patients to complete :)

IMG-8266.jpg

IMG-8267.jpg

IMG-8268.jpg

IMG-8270.jpg

IMG-8271.jpg

IMG-8280.jpg

The front sail has been made similar to the main sail. Next, I fixed and placed all the ropes at the deck. Created the oars and stove.
and finished! :)

IMG-8333.jpg

IMG-8334.jpg

IMG-8335.jpg

IMG-8336.jpg

IMG-8337.jpg

IMG-8338.jpg

IMG-8339.jpg

Back