Bridge and Boat Diorama

G'day Peter, well I don't know, you call this a diorama, I think it is more an exercise in Engineering, Technical Development, it is absolutely unreal, and the way you have adapted different materials and items, I'm really enjoying this build, I look forward to seeing the bridge rising and falling,

best regards John.

Thank you @neptune for all your 'likes' and kind words. I too am looking forward, though with some apprehension, to seeing the diorama working well.

Painted the cement. Believe it or not, it took me a while to decide on the most appropiate shade of grey to immitate new cement.
The bridge will not show any weathering. I want it to look brand new, pollution free, like they do for architectural displays.
ZwY6l12.jpg

Painting the bridge road, which is concrete (cement and gravel).

7s7ENmt.jpg

I chose to use the same dark grey, for the bridge framework, for the gravel.
My attempt to evenly splatter the paint, failed. So I improvised, and used the dry-brush technique of dabbing paint with a large artist brush. Dabbed dark grey in the light areas and light cement grey in the darker areas. Then did the same all over with a fine paint brush. Eventually I reached a point where I was satisfied with the restults.

4PJPXx8.jpg

Had a difficult time painting the road surface in the span.
The edges of the actual bridge and span are protected with a metal strip (painted here with silver colour).
A2wkhWF.jpg

Masked the road for traffic lines. Also added small palstic rectangles, painted yellow, for centre line reflectors.
Then I had a little play with the 1/74 (OO guage) scale cars.

KOctwSW.jpg

Basically, and appearance wise, the bridge is complete. Still to do, is the swing gates, pulley cable system, and span hut electronics.

54wDkEe.jpg

Of course the rest of the diorama is yet to be built, and will continue to do so on this thread. Hopefully you will be following.

G'day Peter
Just read this log and my jaw is still on the desk!
Amazingly well presented diorama!
You are multi skilled craftsman and it's a privilege to have you, as a member of SOS!!! :D
All the comments, just say one thing basically:........
BRILLIANT
Happymodeling mate
Greg

WOW! Thank you SOS members: @neptune , @lauckstreet , @Peglegreg , @DocBlake , @Uwek , and @zoly99sask for your comments and 'likes'.
Much life Frankenstein's monster, without the electrical apparatus Frank-remains dead :D.

The console needs to be cleaned up yet still looking antiquated.
Also the control panel needs to be re-assembled, and a wiring harness will need to be compiled, assembled and connected.

GUCFOsK.jpg

he7RHPX.jpg

5EHhTbE.jpg

G'day Peter
I can admit it, because of the way you show us that you are so versatile.......
'You are a better man than I, Kannada Thing'.
If any of you don't know it, that was a quote from an old English Movie, set in India. I can't remember the movie, but my grandfather always quoted that phrase when someone 'showed him up'.
o_O
Havagooday and happymodeling
Greg

Thank you @Peglegreg and @zoly99sask for your 'likes'.
If any of you don't know it, that was a quote from an old English Movie, set in India. I can't remember the movie, but my grandfather always quoted that phrase when someone 'showed him up'.
o_O
Havagooday and happymodeling
Greg
Wow. I am not sure how to respond to such kind compliments except to say thank you, and share what is truthful for me...

Each person shows up someone else, including you Greg to me. It is not so much that someone does a better job, for anybody with the right tools, materials, and patience can perform likewise. I think what appears to shows up is something that is different.

I cringe at my work when judging it with a critical eye. However, I know that will always be the case from the perfectionist in all of us. What helps to divert that critical eye is difference, especially when the difference has an aesthetic appeal to it.

So, it's all an illusion o_O, don't invest in it :D.

I NEED YOUR HELP
I came across a stumbling block with painting the boat.
I have played around with various colour schemes and have wittled it down to 10 versions.
Version #1, and top view of boat (far right) is how it is now. Both the red and grey portions are to remain.

If you only had one out of 10 choices, which one would you opt for?

UYdqBV6.png

Saying in advance: Thanks for participating in this project.

Last edited:
Back