Brigantine Phoenix, by Master Korabel [COMPLETED BUILD]

Добрый день. Если поставить паруса, то блок на втором фото снизу нужно переместить в сторону мачты. Иначе в таком виде веревка, проходящая через нее, будет мешать парусам. На этом этапе в наборе есть ошибка. С этой проблемой сталкивались все, кто собирал ФЕНИКС. Пока не стало слишком поздно, переделайте это.

Good day. If you set the sails, then the block in the second photo from the bottom needs to be moved towards the mast. Otherwise, in this form, the rope passing through it will interfere with the sails. There is an error in the set at this stage. Everyone who collected PHOENIX faced this problem. Before it's too late, redo it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Добрый день. Если поставить паруса, то блок на втором фото снизу нужно переместить в сторону мачты. Иначе в таком виде веревка, проходящая через нее, будет мешать парусам. На этом этапе в наборе есть ошибка. С этой проблемой сталкивались все, кто собирал ФЕНИКС. Пока не стало слишком поздно, переделайте это.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers

There are several holes in the hull used for tight different ropes to belaying pins... not sure if i missed these steps but i have not drilled the holes before. Now it is time to do so.. a bit more difficult that needed be but... mark them first and with little help from longer drill bits i managed to drill 10 holes in total, without damaging other parts. So if you are building this beautiful model, pay attention ahead of time..

1.jpg

2.jpg

Now i am doing gunter iron gantline rope. First started with 2mm single block and made a hook. Simple by twisting the wire at the end and secure it with a drop of CA glue, then form the hook. Hopefully it will hold. Have some challenges making it at this small scale..

3.jpg

4.jpg

Working on the rope..

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

The length of coiled rope is correct, now i need to make few of those, in correct shape.

Happy modelling..

Last edited:
During last missing hole drilling exercise, i thought no damage was done. Unfortunately it was.. So instead of starting with rat lines, i will be repairing (or i would say improving) the look of two rigging lines.

1.jpg

So, lets fix it... by painting the wood and replacing the rigging line. This is my process to rig a block.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Little helping hands..

4.jpg

5.jpg

End result..

6.jpg

The hook is also attached..

7.jpg

Thole new assembly in place.

8.jpg

9.jpg

Now the other side has to be replaced as well, so both are matching..

10.jpg

Happy modelling..

Very good work on the ratlines. Your process of making blocks is simple - therefore effective.

The rat lines have been completed. Interesting work, must say... It does really test your patience...

In the process at topgallant...

3.jpg

4.jpg

All completed...

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

During the work process, outer jib boom guy (hopefully have the term correctly) was slightly damaged, enough to bother me so i replace it with a new rope.. Here is process..

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

And completed..

16.jpg

Now it is time to do some touchups on the model and to start working on sails.... woohoo.

Happy modelling.

Work on sails started by scanning and printing the copy of sail plan from the kit.

17.jpg

Then i cut them all..

18.jpg

Test on the sail cloth that was included in the kit.. appears to have enough space for all..

19.jpg

Now put them aside til i am working on staining the cloth..

21.jpg

The model is also resting a bit ...

20.jpg

First i ironed the cloth...

22.jpg

Than stained in golden oak stain, must say i do like this stain colour,... a bit messy job...

23.jpg

Taking excess stain from the cloth, with a help of few sheets of bounty paper..

24.jpg

Cloth is drying ...

25.jpg

Happy modelling..

There are different ways of making sails; this time i will follow sails making technique suggested by one Russian modeller. Never tried before so might as well try it now..

26.jpg

First, material is cut in a strip 10mm wide, which is then glued to the material overlapping by 1mm.

Measuring 10mm..

27.jpg

.. cutting the stripe...

30.jpg

... making 1mm overlap...

28.jpg

... run a layer of carpenter' glue, diluted 50/50 with water...

29.jpg

... put the cut stripe on the top of the overlapping area, in that 1mm grove, carefully remove all rules and press lightly to remove excess glue. Use a piece of bounty paper to grab the glue. After gluing few stripes, run heated iron (on silk setting) over the strips to speed up glue drying..

In the process...

31.jpg

So far...

32.jpg

Will continue tomorrow.. Happy modelling..

Very tiring and tedious work completed on the rigging - well done. It will be fascinating to watch as the sails come along.

Still need to practice this technique, mostly on some bigger scale model... It turns out that with this way the amount of sail cloth provided in kit might not be sufficient. Also needs to practice on type/amount of glue used to glue strips together to simulate joining of two cloths..

40.jpg

41.jpg

Anyhow, the new material was located and in this case i will try simulating with a pencil line... I will also practicing with another sail cloth material and using "pulling the threads" technique for simulation overlapping seams..

42.jpg

Tracing the sails down...

43.jpg

Simulating overlapping seams..

44.jpg

Cutting strips that will be glued to the sail..

45a.jpg

45.jpg

In order to protect the cloth from starting to tear apart, the cloth for strips was covered with diluted white glue, 50/50 with water, left overnight to dry and ironed before used. Then it was placed down, with material threads as vertical as possible. Then i put several strips of transparent scotch tape to prevent tear, very much the same reason of putting the scotch tap on veneer before cutting it...The strips are cut 3mm and 4mm wide.
I started with the longest run first... following the sail template..
46.jpg

I used white glue, not diluted to glue strips to the fabric. The scotch tape is pulled off easily once the glue settles down.

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

The sail is cut off..

52.jpg

The simulation lines have to be put on the back as well.. Two lines of scotch tape with measurements are put on the desk and the lines are run on the material..

54.jpg

53.jpg

Running out of strips and making the new bunch described above..

55.jpg

All sails completed.

56.jpg

Now it is time to run a boltrope, 4mm thick, using combination of cyano glue for a quick grab/hold and 50/50 diluted white glue running with the line, to make sure rope stays on..
57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

Will continue tomorrow.

Happy modelling...

Great work on the sails, very interesting but time consuming to build strip by strip. Need to run thru a sewing machine when glued to keep together.

Will be waiting to see sails installed.

Great work on the sails, very interesting but time consuming to build strip by strip. Need to run thru a sewing machine when glued to keep together.

Will be waiting to see sails installed.
Yeah it is time consuming; the challenge with sewing is to find out the correct size for sewing thread and the needle so it does not sticks out from the scale of the model...
Will see how this works..
Cheers

Great tutorial, Moreplovac, many thanks! The way you making sails remind me of the method of many Russian ship modeling colleagues.

Back