Build Log Artesania Latina "La Pinta" - [COMPLETED BUILD]

In life there is always a positive and this morning at 5am I tested positive LMAO! always thought it would pass me by but at least it is a "Positive" even if not the positive wished for...... Take care people 'Kia Kaha' cheers and smile lots, Life is Beautiful.

View attachment 335419
Good morning.Eish. Ah well hopefully it doesn’t get you hard and you can have some time to play with your ship. Best wishes. Your sails look amazing. Cheers Grant

Comments and likes are very much appreciated, they are a good form of encouragement for learners such as I - Took a few days to overcome the worst of COVID but managed to work on a few build items ----- Mizzen and yard set up with parrell in working order. Lifts, lowers and can be swung to either port or starboard side of the mizzen.

138_AL Missen yard.png

“La última publicación” Ay, the last post for this build. Did I achieve anything? Well the main intention has always been to avoid furry ropes n rigging and to prove to myself that it is possible to recover well from a cerebral aneurism, even if forgetfulness and experiencing lots of DUH! And blank moments remain a part of life. I think this was all accomplished even if not to perfection. So much more to learn and learn and focus.

However the boat is very sturdy having survived builder frustrations, burning at the stake, trash bin burial and Cutlass slicing.

Anyway, final photos complete with mistakes, repairs and redos. SOS pointers and advice is most welcome as are jokes and some laughter.

I did my best and thoroughly enjoyed putting this model together right up until I encountered; Bolt Rope! Rigging! Hanks! Grrrrrr. Me thinks plastic ship models in my past were so much easier.

LPF01.png

Gentlemen – Members - Friends I’ve never met. Thank you all for the excellence of your exquisite builds. It’s been impossible trying to constantly follow everybody’s builds but be assured I tried to view as many as possible. Your ship constructions, focus, dedication, precision, desires for historical accuracy and perfection(s) has blown me away and many times intimidated me to the point when I wondered why I bothered to post my work. But here I am and now will vanish into the land of lurking to watch and learn from other member’s posts. So until we meet again and I get to bore you all over again – May God, or whatever entity or philosophy you believe in ‘Bless you’, Stay safe, Kia kaha, ‘La Vita e Bella, live it’. Franco in Aotearoa. Beer;)

Gentlemen – Members - Friends I’ve never met. Thank you all for the excellence of your exquisite builds. It’s been impossible trying to constantly follow everybody’s builds but be assured I tried to view as many as possible. Your ship constructions, focus, dedication, precision, desires for historical accuracy and perfection(s) has blown me away and many times intimidated me to the point when I wondered why I bothered to post my work. But here I am and now will vanish into the land of lurking to watch and learn from other member’s posts. So until we meet again and I get to bore you all over again – May God, or whatever entity or philosophy you believe in ‘Bless you’, Stay safe, Kia kaha, ‘La Vita e Bella, live it’. Franco in Aotearoa. Beer;)
Good morning. A beautiful detailed LaPinta! Has been a pleasure to meet you via our ship building forum and a joy to follow your build. Congratulations on completing this build. Cheers Grant

Good morning. A beautiful detailed LaPinta! Has been a pleasure to meet you via our ship building forum and a joy to follow your build. Congratulations on completing this build. Cheers Grant
Thank you very much for the compliment. Pleasure has been all mine especially keeping an eye on the Victory and Vasa builds. it's wonderful knowing there are others who share a certain type of humour and laughs. Ride well, Ride hard, Cheers.

While I'm here thank you all for the likes, visits and compliments - Best to all.

From my side also sending the Congratulations for finishing this model
Very good and accurate work - so I hope, that we can soon say once more Hallo when you start the next project with a building log.

Stem/ Keel fitted but either one or the other was originally cut short so had to cut a piece insert it and try to make it blend in.

View attachment 305692
Second layer started. Up to this point everything went fine or hunky dory as we say here. Both sides of hull to this level Sapelli veneered successfully. Then the strips started to fall apart or shatter when handled or during application. Of the remaining strips approximately a third rendered themselves unusable. Worse there are no avenues here for resupply. Fortunately There were left overs from my previous model attempt "La Nina" Over-all I made one big mess.

View attachment 305689

View attachment 305690
Good day Cons. How did you ensure the Stem and Keel were tightly aligned with the planking of the hull? I am considering using caulk, but thought I should ask first.

Good day Cons. How did you ensure the Stem and Keel were tightly aligned with the planking of the hull? I am considering using caulk, but thought I should ask first.
Hi Kilmer Point, first, as the second planking went on I carefully cut (sliced) the bow join as best my clumsy hands could using a scalpel with a #15 blade. Secondly, once all the second planking was finished I used a square edge file to carefully open the gap so that the stem and keel fitted without having to use any force but not loose enough to leave gaps. The file thickness was 4.75mm while the keel etc was 5mm. I started filing along the length of the keel and gingerly worked forward towards the bow section (gently pushing the file stern to bow in seperate strokes) and then rounding into the bow section. Once a constant grove had been achieved I then sanded the keel etc with 320 grit dry sandpaper until the entire length fitted into the filed grove. I think that may be the answer to your question. My apologies that there are no photos to show that which I described. If there were photos, sadly a recent HDD crash obliterated everything and anything stored including my entire Johnny Cash Collection. Hope this helps and thank you for visiting my build. Hopefully you will also post your build as you progess. Cheers.

Back