Build Log Artesania Latina "La Pinta" - [COMPLETED BUILD]

Stern opening for the rudder. I didn't do this on the Nina but decided to line the inside of the opening with Sapelli. After-all there were numerous broken bits to choose from. Next will be total sanding of the hull.

39_La Pinta Rudder Opening.png

Very good planking work, especially with knowledge of this not optimum material
Well done!

I agree with the previous comments - I think the planking turned out fine. Can we expect to see a Shellac-finished hull?

Stern opening for the rudder. I didn't do this on the Nina but decided to line the inside of the opening with Sapelli. After-all there were numerous broken bits to choose from. Next will be total sanding of the hull.

View attachment 305693
Good morning. Excellent job with the deck (love the open hatch) and planking. You are building a fine La Pinta. Cheers Grant

Ready for some more painting at this stage matt black was the most appropriate to hide joint mistakes and bad building assembly.

42_La Pinta Blackening.png

Not sure what happened but I followed all the assembling instructions (lost in translation from Spanish) and although similar didn't seem to be correct on later viewings. Strakes didn't seem to match up.

44_La Pinta Stern View.png

Another stern view pre attaching the rudder. But this time 'La Pinta' was almost renamed "La Kindling" out of frustration. Too fearful to show bow photo because of the strake distance/separation.

45_La Pint Stern View 2.png

took time out to play with making the cannons ........ Used Tamiya X19 Bronze over-coated with Tamiya Smoke colour. May not be the best but I gave it a go.

47_La Pinta Cannons.png

So many incredible posts on SOS, so much reading and focusing on trying to remember what's been read that Tempus certainly Fugit and I get behind on other things in life. As mentioned previously there have been a few irregularities in my hull building so much so that i deviated a little and started work on the main deck hatchway (the wine hold :)) 1st up was to attempt at making working hinges.

48_La Pinta PE Hinge.png

Last edited:
Test hinges to make sure they open/close relatively smoothly. Umpteenth attempt and four hinge sets later they worked CA used to secure bolts/nails. Glue marks need to be removed before sealing off with Shellac.

51_La Pinta Testing Hinges.png

Both hatch doors open and close. Hopefully once properly cleaned, Shellac'd and permanently attached they will look a bit better. Luckily my iphone doesn't have a sharp lens in low light :)

53_La Pinta Dry fit 2 open hatches.png

Guess now would be a good time to rework back to the La Pinta hull etcetera.

just when it was thought I'd gone, I'm back. - Had multiple issues making the upper deck railings which took a lot of time and still it doesn't look good so will bypass any photos. Fitted the hatch frames and hatch doors plus the main deck cleats. Some how the measurements given in the instruction booklet weren't true to the Frames. Cut longer ones and glued accordingly.

54_La Pinta Hatches Fitted.png

Close up of the open hatches. Best that could be done without a macro lens. Iphone 6 is not as good as my ex Galaxy that took superior photos even in low light situations.

55_La Pinta Hatches open Closed.png

Back