Build Log Artesania Latina "La Pinta" - [COMPLETED BUILD]

Drilled through the Hawsepipe into and through the 1st bow frame so anchor rope could fit thought at a later date when I reach that finishing stage. (if I get that far that is)

56_La Pinta Drilling Hawsepipe.png

Ropes through both sides and secured at the bow. Later on these will allow the proper anchor rope (Once I get around to making it) to be easily threaded through and attached to the Windlass.

58_La Pinta Temporary Threads Tied.png

In between working on the La Pinta model, life and general household duties I try to work on and finish assembling 1/350 Regia marina Zara class cruisers, Zara and Fiume. Fiume named after the city I was born in.

59_La pinta What I do Inbetween.png

Not satisfied with the model kit strengthener's supplied due to their being out of shape or perhaps because I didn't fit them correctly I will attempt to deconstruct and hopefully remake to fit better.... Gentlemen, have a nice evening.

Last edited:
Made up the deck bits and pieces while internally still trying to figure out how to correct or hide my hull mistakes ... may take a day or two off and have another try at making rope(s) just to fill in time.

60_La Pinta Deck Stuff.png

Did my best to correct mistakes made in the hull assembling having done that the deck and poop needed to be masked up so I could seal remakes, re-alignments etc. Also worked on the kit water barrels. Still need to make or find out how to scratch make barrel top corks..... mmmm bit of stress for a later coffee.

61_La Pinta Deck Mask n Barrels.png

Bow kind off made to look better, at least in my own opinion. Bow should have been rounder but because I got a little excited with the fairing it turned out narrower than specified in the instructions. Oh well these things happen I guess.

64_La Pinta Bow Cleaned Up.png

So there we have it and how it looks after much frustration. If I take off my glasses I simply cannot see where the fixes and alterations were/are, have been, still are. Time to turn turtle and work on the upper bits and parts.

65_La Pinta If I Take Off My Glasses..png

Had another play at making rope but for two days nothing went right. After multiple attempts and trials I ended up with two usable lengths of mini rope. For some unknown reason very thin stuff just snapped and went crazy haywire. I ordered two ropes from Scale Ropes which I think should match the 0.15 in the AL booklet. Fingers crossed. Then again I confess that I have no idea about sizes or what the numbers mean in the Scale Rope conversion charts.

Last edited:
section of rope made for the ship anchor.. had to make several before achieving one length that was almost worthwhile. Two problems I have is thick rope and very thin rope never seem to come out correctly. i think the rope walk counter weights need working on.

68_La Pinta Anchor Ropes.png

This is how I did the anchor(s) which is not how the instructions suggest they be finished. Perhaps I got a little carried away with rope but personally I like the look whether its historically on assembly instruction right or wrong.

70_La Pinta Starboard Anchor.png

Windlass showing a poorly made rope but the best one of those made over the course of a sunny afternoon while listening to Dave Brubeck. Note also the patch where I drilled in the incorrect place. Duh!

71_La pinta Windlass.png

Signal cannon and barrel on the poop deck. Not sure if the cannon fixings are correct but I did follow the instructions. Ended up dismantling and remaking the two cannon four times until I thought they looked better, in my opinion at least. Viewing some members work on cannons has been at times a little intimidating but I survived.

73_La Pinta Signal Cannon.png

Back