Build Log Artesania Latina "La Pinta" - [COMPLETED BUILD]

played around with that first Block to make sure that my thinnest rope could fit through the predrilled holes. They did. Seizing isn't the best but using fly fishing fly thread was very challenging mostly because of aging eye sight and the need for better lighting. Next purchase will be an upgraded made in the US magnifier.

74_La Pinta Block and tackle Threaded.png

Little Big update - Purchased a Dremel to make life easier and found a Proxxon compound Table KT 70 on Amazon Aust for NZD115 including taxes with free delivery. drilled four holes and attached the KT70 to the Dremel drill press. Surprisingly it worked magic. Used a solid block of mahogany as the table.

76_La Pinta DremelProxxon Setup.png

Used lollypop sticks super glued to the block so drilling could be as precise as humanly possible given the lack of experience. No finger nails were sliced during the process.

77_La Pinta Drilling Blocks.png

Cut and drilled all required Blocks to nominated sizes etc. They looked okay even before being sanded with worn out 320 sand paper.

78_La Pinta Cut Drilled Unsanded.png

Some of the first series of blocks all finished and then decided the look wasn't quite appropriate so inevitably i pulled them all apart and started again hoping for a better looking finished job.

80_La pinta 1st Lot.png

Next deviation was to sever the Chain wale links from their support frame/Fret. I used a scalpel and black glass as a firm surface to cut on. Black makes it easier to see PE and where the true cutting points are. Removed from the fret any nibs are filed out using an old disgarded ladies diamond finger nail file.

83_La Pinta Chain Wale Links.png

Links were all bent in half as per the AL instructions using my Hold n Fold.

84_La Pinta Hold n Fold.png

Had a bit of a disaster with the main mast which required my wasting two days googling NZ sources for 8mm dowels. Closest native time "RIMU" is exceptionals hard to find and possibly never to be available in the future. mahogany Extremely difficult to get due to What ever reason, like the war, economic downturn, save the forests climate change, they don't like us anymore and importers cat is with kittens. Any excuse. ended up buying Pine dowel and staing it with left over Gunze acrylic colour mix. Note the mast head how I shaped it with the Dremel set up.. so pleased.

86_La Pinta Mast heads Block n Tackle.png

Heres my new problem. The photos in the hard copy of instructions are not very sharp and difficult to see how they are tired to the links plus there is no mention on how to tie them on in the maual. All Google and YouTube fixate on chains and metal straps as Chain Wales. grrrr another lot of wasted days. So out of frustration I am doing a Sinatra "My Way"

88_La Pinta How to secure Question.png

Inbetween La Pinta and other bits of lifes exciting ongoings. I'm fixing failed super glue joints on the 1/350 model of the RN Roma which also needs to be re-rigged. The joys of living and loving life.

89_Regia Nave Roma Fix.png

Back