Build Log Artesania Latina "La Pinta" - [COMPLETED BUILD]

LOL! I ordered that book last week and was emailed yesterday that the book had been despatched and was on its way to NZ. That will come in handy when the family decides to keep me from getting bored and purchase AL "Santa Maria" for me :D....... Cheers.

Hi ConsNZ!

So that you did not have to make too many "Sinatra's" here still two photos. ;)

View attachment 314022

View attachment 314023
The shrouds were attached on the foremast of the Columbus ships like this, of course without the longitudinal and transverse timbers (Saling).

Best regards
Thomas
Tried doing it this way but on the dummy dry fit it all looks too growded as can be seen in the photos (left side normal lighting. Right side lightened so the grouping is easier to see). I have 6 shrouds each side that makes 12 lines of rope attached to the masthead. The Colombus drawing shows 3 lines but 6 shrouds Port/Starboard so I imagine each shroud doubled up as two. If I copy as per the drawing my shrouds woud fit better at the masthead but that requires my redoing and starting again from scratch for the fourth time. If this is the case it's best to tighten and adjust the shrouds at the masthead, complete the shrouds, leave overnight and then see how they all look tomorrow. Too late in the evening for coffee so a glass of red will suffice until the mind is made up.

Port TopA.png

Starboard TopB.png

Tried doing it this way but on the dummy dry fit it all looks too growded as can be seen in the photos (left side normal lighting. Right side lightened so the grouping is easier to see). I have 6 shrouds each side that makes 12 lines of rope attached to the masthead. The Colombus drawing shows 3 lines but 6 shrouds Port/Starboard so I imagine each shroud doubled up as two. If I copy as per the drawing my shrouds woud fit better at the masthead but that requires my redoing and starting again from scratch for the fourth time. If this is the case it's best to tighten and adjust the shrouds at the masthead, complete the shrouds, leave overnight and then see how they all look tomorrow. Too late in the evening for coffee so a glass of red will suffice until the mind is made up.

View attachment 314266

View attachment 314267
Good morning. That is a lot of rope for small space. I don't know the shroud layout on the Pinta, however The Victory does have 2 shrouds per line. Different ship in different time. Your whipping is great. Red wine always a good when decisions are to be made... Cheers Grant

Good morning. That is a lot of rope for small space. I don't know the shroud layout on the Pinta, however The Victory does have 2 shrouds per line. Different ship in different time. Your whipping is great. Red wine always a good when decisions are to be made... Cheers Grant
maybe I should've tried some Black navy Rum. Redface It was another Start again moment.

Started again using two lines. This involved some major dismantling and getting a bit inventive or so I thought Tried different methods and found using brass wire as demonstrated by Tagliamare on youtube suited me best (at this stage at least)

99_la Pinta.png

If it's too good to be true then it's not. At this stage while contemplating Ratlines, all the lack of forthought came to roost. Disheartening to say the least. So once agin It'll be dismantle and restart. At this stage I would be better to rename La Pinta "La Reconstrucción Constante"

103_La Pinta.png

If it's too good to be true then it's not. At this stage while contemplating Ratlines, all the lack of forthought came to roost. Disheartening to say the least. So once agin It'll be dismantle and restart. At this stage I would be better to rename La Pinta "La Reconstrucción Constante"

View attachment 315200
Good morning. That feeling of redo.... Cautious. I’ve yet to read someone’s log who has not felt this sinking feelingRedface. I’ve been having it on a regular basis recently ROTF.Your masthead shrouds are looking awesome. Definitely way better. Cheers Grant.

Started work on the sails in order to take a breather from rigging and the thought of ratlines which eventually will have to be done. For the present ratlines remain a nightmare to avoid. Ran into trouble when attaching the Bolt Rope to the main sail. Managed to sew in a finger several times. My mother (may she rest in peace) would have sewn all the bolt ropes to the four sails without blining an eye and while knitting a pullover. Me? took 5 hours for one main sail. :(

107_La Pinta.png

Not happy with the end result. I really made a mess so cycled 67km across town to buy material so I can attempt making my own sails. Incidently those supplied by AL were, in my opinion, of poor quality and rather flimsy. --- Once again it's start again by me. Could be a while before I post any update(s) I really need to improve... Cheers all.

108_La Pinta.png

After the initial disappointing sail results I spent a lot of time U’Tubing, checking out various sites, reading articles and followed the excellent ‘sewing sails’ by Olha and the presentation by Darius in ‘La Couronne Corel/scratch 1:100 First build [COMPLETED BUILD]’. -- End result, totally confused myself which in itself is a daily occurrence.

Tried the following materials as tests for what may have, or may not be suitable to my non existent abilities re sewing etc.

Stretch Sateen – Muslin – Pure Cotton lawn. The stretch sateen was beautiful and easy to work with and I achieved acceptable results. Unfortunately I only purchased 1/8th Metre as a trial. It was disappointing to find that outlets had sold out and the material now relegated to the international list of ‘out of stock, unavailable, import date unknown’ schedules. First try Muslin. Very thin stuff.

109_La Pinta.png

As a precaution an additional ¼ metre of both Muslin (white) and Pure Cotton lawn (ivory) was purchased allowing for two test sets of test in each material with plenty left-over for future work. Initially the Treasure of my life, she who must be obeyed was asked to perform the sewing something she was happy to do until she saw what was involved and promptly suggested I learn how to sew myself with the 1950 Singer treadle sewing machine which is in pristine working condition but in need of a new leather belt. Hence, the wife’s PFAFF was/is used with no divorce resulting.

110_La Pinta.png

Cotton lawn was very nice to work with and finished sails looked quite good. Then I found the stretch was vertical instead of horizontal so into the bin they went.

111_LaPinta.png

Back