Baltimore Clipper Ship "Harvey/1847" 1:50 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hallo Sid, congratulations for finishing your first ship model.
And we can see, that it turned out very good ! We are learning with doing our hobby - so the next model should come, in order to use the known and learn something new - without making the first mistakes twice.
Do have already something in mind for your next project?

Indeed I do have something in mind for next. I’ve “narrowed" my next build to either the Cutty Sark (Mantua version), the Astrolabe (also Mantua) or the Cote d'Emeraude (Atesania Latina). Eventually I'll get to the HMS Victory (Mantua?) on the shelf.

Well my experience with Artesania was let just said not a particulary good one
But each time I see a good realisation of one of Artesania kit I have to revise my opinion
For a first model thumb up it is a very good buildThumbsup

Read your thread on the Harvey. Great work!! I recently purchased the same kit second hand and it is missing 3 of the sheets of plans, no2, no3, & no4. I was hoping you would be kind enough to take a picture of them and post them as I can’t find them on the web. This is my second ship (first was a 20” Albatross) and I need all the help I can get

Thank you
Sloanfamily

Read your thread on the Harvey. Great work!! I recently purchased the same kit second hand and it is missing 3 of the sheets of plans, no2, no3, & no4. I was hoping you would be kind enough to take a picture of them and post them as I can’t find them on the web. This is my second ship (first was a 20” Albatross) and I need all the help I can get

Thank you
Sloanfamily
Should be home tomorrow so will photograph them and send them on to you
Cheers
Roger

Thank you
Sloanfamily
Hi SloanFamily. If Roger has sent you what you need great; but I actually have two sets of plans for this ship. (I think my deceased benefactor bought just the plans and then later bought the whole kit. There were some bulkhead pieces laid out on butcher paper within the kits that I got, and I determined they were for the Harvey--plus the extra set of plans. They are not in pristine condition, having been folded and unfolded many times, but I'd say they are quite usable. I'd be happy to sent them to you if you'll send me your address. You can send that information privately to me at my email address. (sid.barras@gmail.com)
Warmest regards from Cajunland USA, South Louisiana.

Thank you for mailing me your plans Sid. Your generosity is inspiring of the ship building community. After I’m finished with the Harvey, I’ll be more than happy to pay it forward

Best wishes from BeefCountry USA, Central Iowa

Sorry I was on my way Home from a trip to north Queensland and was delayed by the massive bushfires only just got home yesterday. So if Sid has sent you the plans it would save me photographing them all the best with your build and if yo still need photos just let me know
Roger

Recently I purchased model ship kits “ Harvey 1847” scale 1:96 from China. It has everything but the plans for rigging and sails. If anyone could help me by sending photographs of the plans I would be highly obliged.

Regards from Mumbai, India
Jayanta Das
Email ID- jayanta.badal@gmail.com

Chapter 2:
July 19th, the beginning of the first layer of hull planking. As a newbie to shipbuilding, I can affirm that at first I was curious as to why two layers of hull planking were necessary. Having at this point completed both layers, I can attest that one layer would have been an umitigated disaster for me. I floundered a bit, wondering which method of planking I should use, given that I ran into several methods via the youtube, internet and ship model building books I've purchased. Ultimately, I chose a hybrid, based on slight variations of what seemed the easiest methods.
Fellow newbies: it ain't too hard to get the planking to lay flat and true. The biggest problems I had were the "sponginess" of these half-milimeter thick planks which really bothered me. It seemed mighty fragile with nothing to support the planks in between bulkheads. I tried stiffening up the wobbles with an inordinate amount of wood filler (regretful in hindsight) and lots of sanding, and I even thought that a coat of paint would help firm up the hull in anticipation of the final layer.
The cutting and fitting of the first layer planking went fine, but I do recommend patience and very sharp cutting blades, along with bright lighting, sharp pencils, and a metal rule that has a non-slip backing (the very fine cuts require preciseness and a ruler that won't slip out of place on you halfway throught the cut!).

I'm building this model now. it looks like you may have used the deck planking veneer for the first layer of the hull (that is why it was so "spongy" By the looks of the deck planking it appears to be thicker and that should have been put on the hull.

Hello Sid. The Harvey was my first ship model as well and I completed the hull all the way to the point of beginning the deck fittings and superstructure (your chapter 6) when my primary interest in plastic automobiles took back over and the model has been in storage for now 20 years. But I still have all the remaining parts and instructions and am thinking of jumping back on this since I am very happy with the way the model has come out to date. I would like to apply a finish to the hull before moving forward as you did. What product did you find worked the best (you mentioned scraping off some polyurethane you applied) and how did you choose it? Also for others following this thread, I would appreciate any advice you all have on clear finishes as well. Thanks.

Hi jsobrato,
I applied a spray-on poly (brand name Minwax) satin finish. I did it mainly (was a complete rookie at this point) to protect the hull from damage during the rest of the construction. I did find that additional parts glued later did not adhere as well when gluing atop the poly finish. But this was not a major problem.
I will say this, the Harvey was a joy and a blessing as a first model. The Mamoli ‘Cutty Sark’ i’m currently engaged with is a far cry from the Harvey. Furthermore, I also notice the kits made 50, 40 years ago are not nearly as user-easy as those made currently. Watching a couple of YouTube series of guys building current models demonstrates how much more effort manufacturers have put into ease of construction. The difference is especially glaring if compared to some of the model kits for sale on eBay that were made (I surmise) pre 1950: solid hulls, and the barest minimum of fittings and correctly sized stock.

Hello Sid. The Harvey was my first ship model as well and I completed the hull all the way to the point of beginning the deck fittings and superstructure (your chapter 6) when my primary interest in plastic automobiles took back over and the model has been in storage for now 20 years. But I still have all the remaining parts and instructions and am thinking of jumping back on this since I am very happy with the way the model has come out to date. I would like to apply a finish to the hull before moving forward as you did. What product did you find worked the best (you mentioned scraping off some polyurethane you applied) and how did you choose it? Also for others following this thread, I would appreciate any advice you all have on clear finishes as well. Thanks.
I'm building this very model of which is my very first wood ship build so I am by far NOT an expert. I used this product https://www.amazon.com/Minwax-33255000-Helmsman-Urethane-Aerosol/dp/B0009XCLIC for my ship and I am happy. I'd also like to hear from more experienced builders what a good product is or if I used the wrong one.

Thank for both of your replies. I am curious Sid whether you found the hull and planking the most difficult part of the build or whether it was struggle all the way through? I also thought I would add a couple of photos of where my project stands. 496E7B6C-11B8-4210-8423-F067C2DE2F53.jpegE6085A5F-C6D2-492B-910C-B353092C936B.jpegC60FF115-6D12-41F6-BCD3-B7EA3D0851E3.jpeg

That's a heck of a lot better than mine. Mine looks like a 5 year old made it compared to that. I couldn't figure out the hull planking at the bow so I did it the easy and wrong way. I'm sure some will throw fits if they seen it. But my wife thinks it is absolutely beautiful so I get a pass on this one. lol

@Jsobrato It would really nice if we can see photos and stories of Harvey in your own build log. How about that?? Please follow the link below.

Excellent job. I would like mine to be half as good. question for you. I inherited a halfway completed Harvey. It came without instructions. If you would be willing to let me use your set of instructions to complete mine. I'm willing to pay. Let me know

I would be happy to scan the instructions and post here so others have them if interested. Of course no charge. It may take me a week or so but I will do.

Excellent job. I would like mine to be half as good. question for you. I inherited a halfway completed Harvey. It came without instructions. If you would be willing to let me use your set of instructions to complete mine. I'm willing to pay. Let me know
There is a whole set of instructions on this site already in PDF format. Scroll down and you will see them (there are about 8 or so)

Back