Build Log: Endurance - Occre - by Bill Hime

Hope this post finds everyone well! Just finished the stern deck. This is a Satin finished - I'm thinking of mixing in a little semi-gloss, not sure yet. While I'm contemplating that I'm starting to 2 main decks tonight.

View attachment 281491View attachment 281492

I have the next 3 days off, hope to get all the decks completed and installed!
Beautiful.

I hope this update finds everyone well! just finished one of the 2 main decks tonight. I'll sand it and apply rubbed on polyurethane tomorrow. This larger deck surface really allows for better appreciation of the deck runs and treenails.

20220116_011341.jpg20220116_011305.jpg

The Admiral been very gracious and supportive of this project. A man cannot be more blessed than I...

This is the first ship I'm actually going to finish! There's been multiple attempts to start builds in the past. They never came to fruition. But now life has provided the time -

So here we go, I'm really excited about this ship. I read the story in Nat'l Geographic when I was a kid. After -The Endurance was forever instilled in my mind. It was exciting to see that somebody put out a model of this historic vessel.

That's it! picture uploads tomorrow!
Hallo Bill alias @Bill Hime
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! And yes, Lou, I picked up Model Shipways USS Constitution 1:76 scale from one of our members, so thank you to Alex as well!

Have made some progress; decks are finished and currently glued and clamped on the bench. I did make one significant error I didn't catch until after clamping/gluing!!!
I won't say what it is and see if any of you catch when you review my progress pics;

20220125_020225.jpg20220125_020334.jpg20220125_020348.jpg20220125_020359.jpg

Beautiful decking Bill! A small bit of random info: what is known as sycamore in england/europe we call sycamore MAPLE here in the US. Not sure why I know that - or even if I am exactly right - but it might answer the question of what wood is on your deck.

Beautiful decking Bill! A small bit of random info: what is known as sycamore in England/Europe we call sycamore MAPLE here in the US. Not sure why I know that - or even if I am exactly right - but it might answer the question of what wood is on your deck.

Thank you Paul! Interesting about the reference difference.. I'm from the Midwest (Ohio) where Sycamore and Beech are abundant. I mention both because they're related, very dense with no definable grain. Often used for wood planes, mallets, chisel handles. Also, carved into large kitchen bowls serving trays, etc.

Bill, your bride must be as supportive as mine is, ship kits out of the blue and for birthdays too! I picked up a few kits from one of our members also Don Farr was clearing some stash so a big thanks to him too! I agree with Dr. Paul, that sure looks like some curly maple to me, is your oops that you installed the aft bulkhead backwards (or the deck upside down) and the companion way doesn’t line up to go below? Eh- easy fix, no biggie if a bit annoying….

Last edited:
Bill, your bride must be as supportive as mine is, ship kits out of the blue and for birthdays too! I picked up a few kits from one of our members also Don Farr was clearing some stash so a big thanks to him too! I agree with Dr. Paul, that sure looks like some curly maple to me, is your oops that you installed the forward bulkhead backwards (or the deck upside down) and the companion way doesn’t line up to go below? Eh- easy fix, no biggie if a bit annoying….
Or maybe the deck is upside down ROTF ROTF ROTF. Let's hope for the former...

Grazie a tutti per gli auguri di buon compleanno! E sì, Lou, ho preso Model Shipways USS Constitution in scala 1:76 da uno dei nostri membri, quindi grazie anche ad Alex!

Hanno fatto dei progressi; i ponti sono finiti e attualmente incollati e fissati al banco. Ho fatto un errore significativo che non ho notato fino a dopo il bloccaggio/l'incollaggio!!!
Non dirò di cosa si tratta e vedrò se qualcuno di voi cattura quando rivede le mie foto di progresso;

View attachment 286170View attachment 286171View attachment 286172View attachment 286173
Buon pomeriggio Bill, secondo me ,la sede degl'alberi e boccaporti, la cosa che più mi stupisce è il tavolato del ponte come sistema, buon modellismo

Hope today's update finds everyone well! First thank you all for the comments!

So today we're correcting the oops for turning the aft deck upside down! Doing a little fill in and patch will get the companionway back where it belongs.
You haven't painted the bulkheads white first ?
Heinrich - The bulkheads are not going to be the finished surface. On the actual Endurance those areas are finished in bead-board of which I'm making today. Inside of the bulwarks will be planked as well. Here's a sneak peek below;

20220130_160615.jpg

I'm using leftover planks to scribe the bead-board siding.

Hope to have some pics up later today and definitely tomorrow!

Hope today's update finds everyone well! First thank you all for the comments!

So today we're correcting the oops for turning the aft deck upside down! Doing a little fill in and patch will get the companionway back where it belongs.

Heinrich - The bulkheads are not going to be the finished surface. On the actual Endurance those areas are finished in bead-board of which I'm making today. Inside of the bulwarks will be planked as well. Here's a sneak peek below;

View attachment 287562

I'm using leftover planks to scribe the bead-board siding.

Hope to have some pics up later today and definitely tomorrow!
I hate to admit it, but I did something similar on the openings for the stern companionway. I kept looking at what I had thinking something was off until it finally hit what was wrong. The fix worked out OK, however!

Good Evening! Hope everyone is well!!

Made some progress this today; Fixed my "oops" - Companion way is now where it belongs. And started paring the bulkheads.

20220205_161018.jpg20220205_173250_01.jpg20220206_223300.jpg

I may pull up 2 of those planks.. Not fitting as tight as I would like to see.

Ran out of sandpaper so I'll continue the paring tomorrow. I'll put up a couple of pics - (This is where I got carried away 5 years back and over sanded the bulkheads on the "Pride of Baltimore". At the that time I gave up and shelved the kit.

20220206_231554.jpg20220206_231640.jpg

Back