Build Log: Endurance - Occre - by Bill Hime

Good Evening! Hope everyone is well!!

Made some progress this today; Fixed my "oops" - Companion way is now where it belongs. And started paring the bulkheads.

View attachment 289074View attachment 289075View attachment 289076

I may pull up 2 of those planks.. Not fitting as tight as I would like to see.

Ran out of sandpaper so I'll continue the paring tomorrow. I'll put up a couple of pics - (This is where I got carried away 5 years back and over sanded the bulkheads on the "Pride of Baltimore". At the that time I gave up and shelved the kit.

View attachment 289082View attachment 289083
Bill,

I did exactly the same thing, putting in the bulkhead backwards so the hatch was on the port side of center instead of the starboard. I caught my mistake before I did the planking, but the fix was basically the same.

Bill,

I did exactly the same thing, putting in the bulkhead backwards so the hatch was on the port side of center instead of the starboard. I caught my mistake before I did the planking, but the fix was basically the same.
Jeff T: Hopefully others will see this and avoid this mistake, lol!

Grant, Thank you my friend! It startled me a bit at first but in the end it's "Just Wood" :cool:

Today I worked on the midship cabin. I was frustrated that all that was called for was to attach the 6 doors to the plywood that is suppose to be painted white. Below is a pic of that application then my answer to the lack of detail.

20220207_224108.jpg20220207_224117.jpg

I plan on covering all the exposed plywood bulkheads in a similar manner as below;

20220207_224154.jpg

That's the way to build Bill - those planked bulkheads look sooo much better!

Good morning Everyone! I completed the breadboard siding on the midship cabin. I will do this to the exposed bulkheads as well then airbrush them white.

View attachment 290122View attachment 290123

View attachment 290124

I have some LED flicker lights to install before starting 1st layer of planking.
Good morning Bill. Good thinking to plank the midship cabin plywood makes a huge difference.The vertical pattern on the strakes looks fantastic. Well done. Cheers

Good morning to all!
Completed siding on cabin. And started siding bulkheads midship and bow. I'm doing the bow bulkhead different;
I've noted from several photos that the bow bulkhead is actually open to the midship deck.

20220215_124547.jpg20220215_124530.jpg20220215_124559.jpg20220215_203742.jpg20220215_203820.jpg

I'm going to open the bow, put a put a floor in it and extend down a mechanism from the capstan that sets above it.

20220215_203753.jpg

Good morning Everyone!
Hope this post finds everybody well. So I opened up the bow and started initial painting of exposed bulkheads and midship cabin.

20220222_130929.jpg20220222_130905.jpg20220222_124114.jpg

I used a tamiya type of masking tape as my primary cover-up. I first airbrush all the surfaces with black primer the finish coat with white. This makes the line details really pop.

20220222_175819.jpg20220222_175902.jpg20220222_175801.jpg

I'll apply the white finish coat next day or so.

I don't understand the black then white thing, so I am eager to see how it turns out and maybe learn something!
Hey Paul,
The black primer fills all the crevices/deep line detail. When you cover with lighter color it brings out all the little details like in the wood bead-board.
I'll try to shoot some white tonight and post for you to see!

Hi Bill, I ordered this kit a few weeks back and it finally came the other day. I will leave it in the box for now while I complete my othe work in progress but I have watched your work so far and your suggestions. You do a great job and it definitely will be worth following your build. Enjoy.

Hi Bill, I ordered this kit a few weeks back and it finally came the other day. I will leave it in the box for now while I complete my othe work in progress but I have watched your work so far and your suggestions. You do a great job and it definitely will be worth following your build. Enjoy.

Bruce, thank you for your kind words! And thank you for following along!

Good morning Everyone!
Hope this post finds everybody well. So I opened up the bow and started initial painting of exposed bulkheads and midship cabin.

View attachment 292965View attachment 292966View attachment 292967

I used a tamiya type of masking tape as my primary cover-up. I first airbrush all the surfaces with black primer the finish coat with white. This makes the line details really pop.

View attachment 292968View attachment 292969View attachment 292970

I love the texture on that wood, I would dry brush it to bring out the detail. So I too am curious to see it after being sprayed. ;)

Good morning Everyone!

View attachment 292965View attachment 292966View attachment 292967

View attachment 292968View attachment 292969View attachment 292970

Love your work, Bill.
I am just starting my Endurance and am thinking to follow your lead on the boarding of the cabin and bulkheads. Maybe also to open the forward bulkhead. I have only found one photo that suggests that it could be open on the original, but nothing definitive. Where did you see it, Bill.

Back