Build Log For H.M.S. Bounty AL Kit But Different

Hello Tony

For the brass fittings I used a Jax Pewter black available from Australian Jewelers supplies
It is good on brass but not much of an effect on other metals

It gives the bronze sort of coppery look to the brass which I like more for the cannons than straight black

But I have found if doing copper or other metal i.e. diecast and you want a full black then Casey Brass black is the best.

The stove was already black so will be painting it so maintain the black finish

Hope that helps

Hello Tony

For the brass fittings I used a Jax Pewter black available from Australian Jewelers supplies
It is good on brass but not much of an effect on other metals

It gives the bronze sort of coppery look to the brass which I like more for the cannons than straight black

But I have found if doing copper or other metal i.e. diecast and you want a full black then Casey Brass black is the best.

The stove was already black so will be painting it so maintain the black finish

Hope that helps
Thanks that's very helpful, I will keep this information for my next build.

This the start of my build log for the HMS Bounty. Purchased this kit in the mid 90s and just getting around to really do it.
It is a single plank kit with 2 exposed decks and I have never seen this kit anywhere or seen a build log of it so I hope this helps.
I have partly built the hull and started to plank...I found the walnut supplied was told and split to easily so stripped it off and obtained some more.
As Usual will be bashing it and putting on a copper hull and few other bits missing from the AL Kit.
Hallo @Robert B
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks Tony

Still a bit more to go on this deck then I will be turning over and starting to copper plate the hull...never done one before so will be a steep learning curve

have some more done on the bounty have finished the first deck and dry fitted the top deck to see if fits ok
20211027_155312.jpg20211027_155403.jpg20211027_155529.jpg

Have the packages in the hold and need to straighten one knee
20211027_155625.jpg
Even put the door handles on and it is all ready for varnishing

Have now varnished the interior and decks so now when dry will turn over and prepare the hull for copper plating
20211030_153712.jpg20211030_153721.jpg20211030_153735.jpg20211030_153750.jpg
so next time will see the start of the copper plating hope all goes well with that as first time....if it works out well will be doing the HM Surprise later had a copper plated hull

Well now started the copper plating of the hull. Using stick on tape from ZHL
First time View attachment 270427View attachment 270428coppering a hull so stopped at 2 rows to get some constructive critic from more experienced builders
Great start to the plating l am considering doing this on my current build, how long was the delivery from ZHL some of my online orders are taking weeks. Is it a trick of the light or are there some blank spaces between the plates (no dimples).

The delivery from ZHL was reasonable coming from china depends with shipping from there some items take weeks some take months.
Yes there is a blank space between some of the plates that is why I was asking for critique

Removed the first attempt at copper plating and cut each tile from the tape and placed individually as no blank spots.
Found that it was easier to cut slightly oversize for the cuts and lay with a slight overlap on the row above it ( keel facing up) and place the full tiles over the slight under lap. This way there was a slight overlap on both sides.20211123_111500.jpg20211123_111537.jpg

Yes it does and not all that hard to do will see what it looks like when at the water line. The tape makes it easy to fit but have to be careful as will crease very easily and also tear easily. will probably have one side finished this week will post pic then. Once finished will varnish to keep the look .

Yes it does and not all that hard to do will see what it looks like when at the water line. The tape makes it easy to fit but have to be careful as will crease very easily and also tear easily. will probably have one side finished this week will post pic then. Once finished will varnish to keep the look .

Hi
I just read for the first time this log. Very well done your ship building. I will follow it as I am building another version of the Bounty from Artesania Latina. So far my version has been a pain in the neck. Could be that's why it was discontinued.

Nevertheless, when I arrived to your hull plating posts, I thought that some of the references I posted for mine could be helpful.

Have in mind that I do not consider my job a good one. Just standard.

Cheers
Daniel

Post in thread 'The Anatomy of the Bounty - AL-' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/the-anatomy-of-the-bounty-al.8285/post-197337

Thanks Daniel

The one you are building is probably the normal one with the half ship open on 1 side.
About a Build so long as it is enjoyable then it is s good build. I am by no means a good builder compared to some of the people on this forum but I do what I like for the build and am happy with what I have achieved at the end of the day. If someone else likes it then that is a bonus for me.

...I do what I like for the build and am happy with what I have achieved at the end of the day. If someone else likes it then that is a bonus for me.

That is a great way of thinking and I will use your same words on my next posting in a few days. Of course, if you don't mind.

Believe it or not, those words fueled me to continue with my bounty.

Cheers
Daniel

Hey Daniel

That's good, you can use anything I post here no problems.
Drop me a photo of your bounty or tell me where your build log is
The main thing is to enjoy the build

Cheers
Robert

Back