Build Log: HMS Endeavour Captain Longboat

Thanks Kurt, I think that might be all I will do for this model. On to the next.

Looking at building a case for it. But now looking at the plans for the la Toulonnaise build. Scanned it and uploaded the plan into TurboCAD to check lines and measurements. Just finished building a stand/jig for this next build since it is a much bigger project this time, being a ship at 1:70. Actually I should start a new Build Log.

Hi Jeff

Great looking model. Congratulations.

I was about to purchase the AL Endeavour Captain's Longboat at supposed scale 1:50 but at 16.5" long over all I think that is way over scale. Deducting the boom which is almost 6" long according to the parts sheet, that would make the model hull 10.5" long, or 42' 6" at 1:48 scale (close to 1:50).

That is longer than longboats carried on first rate ships if my research is right.

As I was going to buy this model for my 1:48 Medea the hull would need to be in the region of 30 feet (or 7.5" in scale.)

What is the hull length of your model Jeff? I don't want to go ahead and buy a kit that is too big for my frigate.

Appreciate your advice.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff

Great looking model. Congratulations.

I was about to purchase the AL Endeavour Captain's Longboat at supposed scale 1:50 but at 16.5" long over all I think that is way over scale. Deducting the boom which is almost 6" long according to the parts sheet, that would make the model hull 10.5" long, or 42' 6" at 1:48 scale (close to 1:50).

That is longer than longboats carried on first rate ships if my research is right.

As I was going to buy this model for my 1:48 Medea the hull would need to be in the region of 30 feet (or 7.5" in scale.)

What is the hull length of your model Jeff? I don't want to go ahead and buy a kit that is too big for my frigate.

Appreciate your advice.
Hello Ian,

Thankyou for the complement.

In answer to your enquiry, yes the kit model hull is 10.5" long as per the kit, I had not modified the dimensions of the kit hull at all for my build in terms of ratios "length : width : height". In hindsight I wish I had researched that before building it, and then adjusted the dimensions of everything else.

I had only printed out the boat plans from the book 'Anatomy of the Ship - Captain Cooks Endeavour' (revised Edition 2001) and scaled the printout to fit the kit model dimensions, to allow adjustment of the dimensions for masts, sails, rigging and the interior structures to some degree. There is a scale for the dimensions of the various boats shown in the book, which would allow one to deduce the actual 1:1 dimensions of each the boats that were carried on the Endeavour. To achieve that I would need the actual diagram length of each boat which I am unable to ascertain from the computer file at this stage. I thought I had a hardcopy of the book, but I cannot find it to assist. Maybe someone else on this forum, or elsewhere, could furnish us with those dimensions. You have peaked my interest to find out the facts now.

Anyway, I hope this assists you Ian in your "endeavours".

Regards,
Jeff.

Last edited:
Hello Ian,

Thankyou for the complement.

In answer to your enquiry, yes the kit model hull is 10.5" long as per the kit, I had not modified the length of the kit hull at all for my build. In hindsight I wish I had researched that before building it.

I had printed out the boat plans from the book 'Anatomy of the Ship - Captain Cooks Endeavour' (revised Edition 2001) and scaled the printout to the kit model dimensions, to allow adjustment of the dimensions for masts, sails, rigging and the interior structures to some degree. There is a scale for the dimensions of the various boats shown in the book, which would allow one to deduce the actual 1:1 dimensions of each the boats that were carried on the Endeavour. To achieve that I would need the actual diagram length of each boat which I am unable to ascertain from the computer file at this stage. I thought I had a hardcopy of the book, but I cannot find it to assist. Maybe someone else on this forum, or elsewhere, could furnish us with those dimensions. You have peaked my interest to find out the facts now.

Anyway, I hope this assists you Ian in your "endeavours".

Regards,
Jeff.
Thanks Jeff
It has me puzzled too. I built the 18th C longboat (1:48) and it's hull length is 6.5" with a 3.5" bowsprit. That makes the hull 26' at full scale.

A 10.5" hull (42 ft) won't fit in the waist of my Enterprise class MEDEA which is built to 1:48 scale.

I've hunted far and wide for information about the length of the Endeavour boats without success so I'm going to venture that the AL model at 1:50 scale is unrealistic for a ship of Endeavour's proportions.

What I'm hoping for now is that someone will jump in here and enlighten us both ;)

Seasons Greetings from the Sunshine Coast (overcast and drizzle at the moment ) :cool:

Thanks Jeff
It has me puzzled too. I built the 18th C longboat (1:48) and it's hull length is 6.5" with a 3.5" bowsprit. That makes the hull 26' at full scale.

A 10.5" hull (42 ft) won't fit in the waist of my Enterprise class MEDEA which is built to 1:48 scale.

I've hunted far and wide for information about the length of the Endeavour boats without success so I'm going to venture that the AL model at 1:50 scale is unrealistic for a ship of Endeavour's proportions.

What I'm hoping for now is that someone will jump in here and enlighten us both ;)

Seasons Greetings from the Sunshine Coast (overcast and drizzle at the moment ) :cool:
A bit of an update.

I found these boats in 1:48 scale on Aliexpress today. Their hull measurements match those in my Medea plans so I have ordered a couple and will make the third from scratch.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32830789941.html

I hope this will be useful.

I suppose one could adjust the shape of every aspect of the boat to match the book plans to suit any nominated baseline hull length one desires for a particular build, one would just not be able to state the true scale. Nominating the actual scale of the completed boat could only be calculated and stated once the real life dimensions of the boat become known at some later date. At least everything else could be "deemed" correct in the meantime.

So glad I stumbled across this page and the images of your model I'm building the same kit myself and allot of the details didn't sit right with me. I have done similar modifications to mine but your build is on another level hats off to you on such an amazing detailed model
a warm welcome here on board of our forum
maybe you could also start a building log.....

Back