Build Log: HMS Endeavour Captain Longboat

Hello Jeff. The model as she now looks finished. I think if you want to add not even for improvements, for completeness, You can try to rig the boat, You have already built mast, the next step to add spars and stays, or even a sail... How about that?

Will do Jim, thanks. Yes looking into it now, hopefully it will not take too much longer to complete the build. I am looking forward to building the la Toulonnaise from 1823.

Well done Jeff nicely made.
Jim's idea will take it to the next level. Look forward to watching.

Hello everyone,

As you can see, I have opted to modify this build to a 2-masted sliding gunter rig, one of the three different rigs used for this boat. What with my new job, building a rope-walk and redesigning of my workbench, sadly I haven't put much time into the build to date. But on the move again to some degree, building new masts. I wasn't satisfied with the kit sails sooo... consequently one thing led to another as usual, and consequently I decided to make my own sails, and consequently rope making, and consequently modifying the rig style of the vessel to be historically accurate, trying to use the kit sails if I could. Having just tried to make rope today, I was dissapointed at my results, so a lot of practice for me ahead.

All the best during these difficult days to one and all.

14.JPG

Hello there, finally got around to post some photos of my first project and my work area. It took a long while for me to get to this point in the build ... a lot to learn and very cautious ... once again thanks for the advice and resources, has been invaluable.View attachment 114281
Hallo Jeff,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello again, hope you are all doing well. Made rope, blocks, eyebolts, learnt about knots and rigging, all interesting knowledge. Now I want a real boat and or a yacht :) and join a club and learn sailing, sooner rather than later :cool:. Well, finally got to raise and set the masts and install the standing rigging.

Last edited:
Hello there, finally got around to post some photos of my first project and my work area. It took a long while for me to get to this point in the build ... a lot to learn and very cautious ... once again thanks for the advice and resources, has been invaluable.
Hallo @Jeff W
Birthday-Cake
BTW: Did you finish your boat model? Would be interesting to see

Hallo @Jeff W
Birthday-Cake
BTW: Did you finish your boat model? Would be interesting to see
Hello Uwe,
I haven't finished yet, but nearing completion. Working on the sails at the moment. Tried a few ways after some research. I intended to post some photos shortly. I'd be interested in your input.
Regards,
Jeff.

I've been busy with a lot of other matters, and some uncertainty about the sails I must admit. Finished attaching the bolt ropes, and currently working on loops (cringles? or rope-bands? not sure what to call them) on the fore-leech of sails to attach them to the mast hoops of the masts.

Last edited:
Finally was able to hoist the sails but still have to lace them to the sliding Gunter, and also have some trimming to do. Decided to use soft shackles for attaching the main sheets to the clews of the main sails, typically used for "Misainier" or Standing lug rigs, i.e. sail configurations without booms, used quite often back in the day on working fishing boats apparently. The soft shackles make it very easy to detach mainsheets from sails, especially convenient for reefing sails. Well almost finished this my first build. Still have a few things to do but only minor matters. All a bit rough, but I've learnt a lot, yet so much still to learn and more experience to gain. I would welcome any suggestions for improvement.
1629694423435.jpeg

1629694686150.png
1629694802423.png
1629695072649.png

Last edited:
Back