Build Log: HMS Victory - Panart art. 738

Hi all,

Finally making a start with H.M.S. Victory from Panart art. 738. This is the first time for me building a wooden model. I will share my findings and challenges along the way. Hope you enjoy the result till now as much as i do. It will be a slow process but that no problem. Hope to get some feedback along the way.

IMG_4951.jpg

Detail of the lower deck:

IMG_4952.jpg

IMG_4947.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you have started the build log, Stefan! I am sure many of our Victory lovers will follow your progress. Many thanks!

Welcome to the forum Stefan. I wish you many enjoyable hours here building the Victory. So far everything looks very good, you seem to be in good shape!

I am very happy, that you started with this building log.
I wish you success with the model, I im pretty sure, that yiou will have a lot of fun

Glad you have started the build log, Stefan! I am sure many of our Victory lovers will follow your progress. Many thanks!
Hi Jimsky,

May i ask a question. When i'd like to add new progrees of the built must i edit initial first posting and save or.....Some help is needed here. I cannot find the way it is done in the site.

May i ask a question. When i'd like to add new progrees of the built must i edit initial first posting and save or.....Some help is needed here. I cannot find the way it is done in the site.
No need to edit the initial post (unless you want to modify it for a reason), just continue with this thread, it is your build log. below the page type your updates, attach images (if any), and click 'post reply' Good luck!

Hi Stefan. I notice your plank just below the stern cabin support is cut short. I had the same instructions and made a big mistake by not ensuring the stern planking extended and bent all the way to the edge of the stern part 21 in the instructions. If you look at my log page 1 about a third down you will see what I am referring to. So far you are owning this.

Hi Stefan. I notice your plank just below the stern cabin support is cut short. I had the same instructions and made a big mistake by not ensuring the stern planking extended and bent all the way to the edge of the stern part 21 in the instructions. If you look at my log page 1 about a third down you will see what I am referring to. So far you are owning this.
Hi Grant,

Thanks for your feedback. I looked into your log in detail seeing the issue and correction.
I am trying to visualize in pictures below and the action a have to take:

Sanding down the corner somewhat to make a smoother line to the stern:

Knipsel2.PNG

Extend planking till the end of red line:

Knipsel1.PNG

Reference from a colleague builder:
Knipsel3.PNG

Line on the life model:
Knipsel4.PNG
Knipsel5.PNG

I think performing the actions above should give wanted result. What do you think. Something i overlook ? Thanks again, your help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hello Stefan yep that is perfect. Use other reference points from other builds and research as the Mantua/Panart instructions are poor and many items need to be changed. It is super fun doing so and I only woke up to this realization 2 months into my build.

The Panart instruction leave much to you own imagination but that is ok. I am very happy there is internet nowadays to investigate the work from other builders
and reference material and ofcourse the original ship in Portsmouth. I am making progress planking the hull. Will start very shortly at the challenging part that needs sanding/fitting the strippes very carefully. Masts and upperdeck dry fitting ofcourse.

IMG_5004.jpg

Last edited:
After investigation started bending planks around the stern. Superglue didn't work. So using woodglue instead. 1 done waiting patiently until fully dry because of the tension around that corner. 3 to go. We got all the time in the world. :)

bending around the stern.PNG

Last edited:
Back