Build Log: Port Jackson Schooner

So I'm cruising along planking the deck, everything going OK, then I stop after looking at the drawings Al posted and looked at the bow.

Nothing in the instructions about tapering or cutting those corners off along the bulwarks. I guess maybe it was assumed I would know to do that. Can't say why I spaced out and didn't notice it earlier. Side affects of the arthritis meds no doubt.

All the pictures show those planks tapered and fitting into some type of slotted frame or border that runs along the deck against the bulwarks, you can see that in the drawing above, but I can't find anything like that in the box, and nothing about any of that is mentioned in the instructions. Same thing with along the sides, going to require some tapering there as well. Oh well!!

This should be an interesting fix, especially given I'm not even slightly interested in cutting little corner pieces to fill those gaps. I'll probably just end up throwing some fill in there and say the hell with it.

Charles
This is a good model to learn on and it was my first as well.
The technique mentioned above at the end of the end of the planks is called joggling, you should have a piece of plywood in the kit that would be used to make the shape required but it's extra work if you wanted to proceed with this method, see here for more detail https://www.modelerscentral.com/model-ship-building/how-to-do-deck-planking-on-wooden-model-ships/
The written instructions dont always tell the full story and looking at the plans can help a lot understand the words.
All the best and keep going till you finish it.

Most people don't bother and the kits usually don't mention it. You will not be critisised for just running the planks to the edges at the bow and stern.
Thanks Al.

I'll trim everything up nice and pretty amidships and at the stern, as far as the bow goes, I'll come up with something.

I'm such a boner!! :)

This is a good model to learn on and it was my first as well.
The technique mentioned above at the end of the end of the planks is called joggling, you should have a piece of plywood in the kit that would be used to make the shape required but it's extra work if you wanted to proceed with this method, see here for more detail https://www.modelerscentral.com/model-ship-building/how-to-do-deck-planking-on-wooden-model-ships/
The written instructions dont always tell the full story and looking at the plans can help a lot understand the words.
All the best and keep going till you finish it.
Thanks Richie;

I've been all through the box and I'm not finding that plywood piece you mentioned. I see it in one of the photos in the manual, but can't find it. No worries since, as I understand the history of this ship, it was never actually built, so I can just say that whatever I come up with is what they intended had they built it. :)

And yes, this is a first model burner project so live and learn, right??

Thanks to all.

Charles

Thanks Richie;

I've been all through the box and I'm not finding that plywood piece you mentioned. I see it in one of the photos in the manual, but can't find it. No worries since, as I understand the history of this ship, it was never actually built, so I can just say that whatever I come up with is what they intended had they built it. :)

And yes, this is a first model burner project so live and learn, right??

Thanks to all.

Charles
No worries, you may choose to build it as you wish.
My kit was 25 years old so may have changed compared to yours as mine didn't have any photos, for reference the plywood was small at about 30mm x 50mm and the same thickness as the planks, it was just enough to make the parts to fit around the deck.
You might like to think about getting the build DVD ss I found it very a helpful, or perhaps that's because I had very old instructions and needed th he extra help.

No worries, you may choose to build it as you wish.
My kit was 25 years old so may have changed compared to yours as mine didn't have any photos, for reference the plywood was small at about 30mm x 50mm and the same thickness as the planks, it was just enough to make the parts to fit around the deck.
You might like to think about getting the build DVD ss I found it very a helpful, or perhaps that's because I had very old instructions and needed th he extra help.

It's possible that piece might have fallen out of the box at some point, no telling. But there's no reference to it in the instructions but again, not a problem.

I think I've got this working. I started cutting the decking in along bulwarks, got my version of that joggling thing you mentioned going on here. I've got some real thin strips of basswood that I think will trim the edges out nicely.

I'm pretty committed with the little notches at the bow, so I'll duplicate that with the same number of planks on the left side of the deck and then start cutting the deck planks in along the bulwark like I did on the right side. I've got some veneer sitting around here that I'll use to fashion something to cover those notches at the bow.

Was the deck planking in your kit different colors?

I've got about 3 different tones or shades to the deck planking and the grain patterns run a little differently on some of them. Looks kind of cool actually. Thinking about some kind of finish to bring that out a bit.

Best Wishes;

Charles

It's possible that piece might have fallen out of the box at some point, no telling. But there's no reference to it in the instructions but again, not a problem.

I think I've got this working. I started cutting the decking in along bulwarks, got my version of that joggling thing you mentioned going on here. I've got some real thin strips of basswood that I think will trim the edges out nicely.

I'm pretty committed with the little notches at the bow, so I'll duplicate that with the same number of planks on the left side of the deck and then start cutting the deck planks in along the bulwark like I did on the right side. I've got some veneer sitting around here that I'll use to fashion something to cover those notches at the bow.

Was the deck planking in your kit different colors?

I've got about 3 different tones or shades to the deck planking and the grain patterns run a little differently on some of them. Looks kind of cool actually. Thinking about some kind of finish to bring that out a bit.

Best Wishes;

Charles
Ok great, part of the model wooden ship building world is working around problems, its not like a Lego set just sticking all the pieces together.
Yes its quite normal to have the same wood in different shades, here is a pic of mine in the early part of construction.
I wondered why I didn't run into the same problem as you did, because I didn't do individual plank lengths. Redface

20200710_134505_HDR.jpg

Ok great, part of the model wooden ship building world is working around problems, its not like a Lego set just sticking all the pieces together.
Yes its quite normal to have the same wood in different shades, here is a pic of mine in the early part of construction.
I wondered why I didn't run into the same problem as you did, because I didn't do individual plank lengths. Redface

View attachment 266580
From this view of the hull and deck it looks like you have a very nice model in progress. I think that all of us carry something from prior builds into future ones. Except where old age memory loss is only broght to light after that step was again missed. Rich (PT-2)

From this view of the hull and deck it looks like you have a very nice model in progress. I think that all of us carry something from prior builds into future ones. Except where old age memory loss is only broght to light after that step was again missed. Rich (PT-2)
Too true Rich, mine is already completed viewable elsewhere on this forum.
Look forward to seeing progress of Toleolu's version.

View attachment 266580
Brother Richie;

On your cap rails, are they centered along the top of the bulwarks or do you have them hanging over the outboard edge?

I'm not finding the ordinary or flexible beech material mentioned in the instructions for those cap rails, but I've got some stuff that will work.

Thanks;

Charles

Brother Richie;

On your cap rails, are they centered along the top of the bulwarks or do you have them hanging over the outboard edge?

I'm not finding the ordinary or flexible beech material mentioned in the instructions for those cap rails, but I've got some stuff that will work.

Thanks;

Charles
I roughly centered them, however this picture of a 1:1 scale version of a very similar schooner I recently sailed on shows them more to inboard.

Schooner.jpg

First thing I do with a new kit is go through the parts list and match all the parts in the box and confirm quantity, this can take quite a few hours.
Any discrepancy I contact manufacturer to resolve, I needed to do this on my current build and already have the additional parts supplied.

I roughly centered them, however this picture of a 1:1 scale version of a very similar schooner I recently sailed on shows them more to inboard.

View attachment 266948

First thing I do with a new kit is go through the parts list and match all the parts in the box and confirm quantity, this can take quite a few hours.
Any discrepancy I contact manufacturer to resolve, I needed to do this on my current build and already have the additional parts supplied.
Thanks Richie.

Some elves snuck into the shop while I slept last night and finished the deck planking. Problem is I think they were drunk!

IMG_3098.JPG

I sent this pic to Modelers Shipyard and they said I missed the 50mm offset between each row of planking.

The problem is I didn't miss the offset, I did it wrong.

I cut a 50mm piece of planking to start the second row, starting at the bow, and proceeded along that way. The stagger of the butted ends of the planks is following the shape of bow.

By offset, I guess they meant take full 100mm planks and place the full planks offset, then cut and fit the pieces along the bulwarks.

I was debating wetting the planks and removing them and starting over. Problem is I had to throw out a a few planks because I tried a black sharpie to simulate the caulking and it bled through real bad. I don't think I have enough planks (only 5 left) to replace the planks that would no longer fit after the redo.

Oh well. At least it's unique.

Charles

Some elves snuck into the shop while I slept last night and finished the deck planking. Problem is I think they were drunk!

View attachment 267098

I sent this pic to Modelers Shipyard and they said I missed the 50mm offset between each row of planking.

I cut a 50mm piece of planking to start the second row, starting at the bow, and proceeded along that way. The stagger of the butted ends of the planks is following the shape of bow.

By offset, I guess they meant take full 100mm planks and place the full planks offset, then cut and fit the pieces along the bulwarks.

I was debating wetting the planks and removing them and starting over. Problem is I had to throw out a a few planks because I tried a black sharpie to simulate the caulking and it bled through real bad. I don't think I have enough planks (only 5 left) to replace the planks that would no longer fit after the redo.

Charles
I think once you start adding all the superstructure, masts, rigging, etc, the deck planking won't matter and won't be noticed. Except for you. Decisions, decisions!

I think once you start adding all the superstructure, masts, rigging, etc, the deck planking won't matter and won't be noticed. Except for you. Decisions, decisions!
Thanks Phil, that's what Gary at the Modelers Shipyard said.

Hope there's a bunch of stuff going on the deck, because it's gonna need it. :)

View attachment 267098

Charles
The next time that you want to try to blackening the deck planks I recommend that you use a very soft artists sketching pencil. The graphite works very well and does not saturate wood as a sharpie does. RIch (PT-2)

Forgot to post pics of the finished hull.

I went pretty dark on the finish to cover some of the mistakes from the planking, then I tried to darken the wales a bit because I didn't like how the light wood looked against that darker background.

I never noticed all the glue residue at the bow by that joint in the veneer until that picture. Even looking at it now, you have to catch it at just the right angle to see it.

Charles

Attachments

• IMG_3105.JPG
    IMG_3105.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3106.JPG
    IMG_3106.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 5
Back