Build Log: Santisima Trinidad (Occre 1:90 Scale Kit)

Hey Alan,

I wanted to weigh in with my agreement with what you have recently posted. As a first timer I have come to realize how much of my time must be spent on planning and looking ahead and ordering things, etc. And then trying to come up with solutions to the problems I create by failing to get all those things sorted properly. I also keep a running list of things I have skipped that I need to get back to. It can be quite overwhelming at times.

Day 80 Part 2 (9th October)

Dry fitting the final deck.

I was working on a see through plastic strip to use as windows to fit in the wall below that deck and I remember leaving it on the side of my work table. Ten minutes later it had gone. It must of clung to my sleeve or something similar when I brushed past it. For the life of me I cannot find it now. Spent an our on the floor looking for it. It was a spare bit I had from another model. Looking for it drove me around the bend.

D5P_1521.jpeg

I do not know if it is the angle of the photograph but those cannon barrels look a touch oversized for the carriage?

Hi Alan. Any updates on your ST. I would love to see more.

Hi. My name is Alan and I welcome you to my build log of the Santisima Trinidad.

I live in Portchester, Hampshire, United Kingdom. We are on Portsmouth Harbour and enjoy several views across the harbour towards Portsmouth of HMS Victory and HMS Warrior.

I do have the 1/72 Jotika Caldercraft HMS Victory which I commenced on the 1st January 2017 but burnt myself out on the 1st April that same year having worked on it every day. Just stopped .... can't explain why! I had completed the first planking and was working on the Quarter Galleries. I have kept 615 photos of the build so when I get back to that build I can create another build log.

My interest flared up again a month ago to return to the build. But after watching several videos online I decided I wanted to build up more practice and techniques before returning to the Victory. So I decided to try something less intimidating and chose Occre's Santisima Trinidad.

Now that I have started I'm finding it just as challenging as the Victory. But I have the guidance of many build videos and build logs on this forum done by others on this ship. These videos and text logs are so much better than the instructions that come with these kits.

So my confidence is running high.

I started this build on the 23rd July 2021. The following year to '2020 The Year of the Pandemic.'

So here we go and thanks for following on:

Day 1

Dry fitting the hull structure. Click on the images to see a larger image.

View attachment 249347

Encountered an early problem with the kit. Part 10 was missing two cutouts.

View attachment 249348

View attachment 249349

View attachment 249350

View attachment 249351

If you look carefully you'll see some warping in the wood. I found that after cutting the hull parts from the the wood sheets they soon started to warp. So some hot water and heavy weights were used to flatten them!

View attachment 249352
View attachment 249353

Dry fitting again.

View attachment 249354

It's late here now I'll continue tomorrow......
Hallo Allan alias @Alan Clark
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi. My name is Alan and I welcome you to my build log of the Santisima Trinidad.

I live in Portchester, Hampshire, United Kingdom. We are on Portsmouth Harbour and enjoy several views across the harbour towards Portsmouth of HMS Victory and HMS Warrior.

I do have the 1/72 Jotika Caldercraft HMS Victory which I commenced on the 1st January 2017 but burnt myself out on the 1st April that same year having worked on it every day. Just stopped .... can't explain why! I had completed the first planking and was working on the Quarter Galleries. I have kept 615 photos of the build so when I get back to that build I can create another build log.

My interest flared up again a month ago to return to the build. But after watching several videos online I decided I wanted to build up more practice and techniques before returning to the Victory. So I decided to try something less intimidating and chose Occre's Santisima Trinidad.

Now that I have started I'm finding it just as challenging as the Victory. But I have the guidance of many build videos and build logs on this forum done by others on this ship. These videos and text logs are so much better than the instructions that come with these kits.

I started this build on the 23rd July 2021. The following year to '2020 The Year of the Pandemic.'

Day 1

If you look carefully you'll see some warping in the wood. I found that after cutting the hull parts from the the wood sheets they soon started to warp. So some hot water and heavy weights were used to flatten them!

Dry fitting again.

Hallo @Alan Clark
Birthday-Cake

Day 20 Part 1 (11th August 2021)

I've nearly caught up with the current day. I should be able to post yesterdays and todays progress this evening.

Its the evening here and I'm watching Lost with my wife Wendy. We are on Season 1 Episode 11. We are binge watching and have probably another 100 episodes to go .... and I have another 100 gun ports to cut! The ends of my fingers are now numb. Haven't cut myself yet but the knife has slipped a few times and I've scratched the wood in several places that will be noticeable if I oiled her.

Not too concerned now as Wendy and I made a decision tonight. I'm going to paint her red and black. We did some research on the internet and I've found the red I like. Just need to find that red in a shop somewhere.

Anyway, this was my progress yesterday (Day 20) ......

View attachment 249853
View attachment 249854
View attachment 249855
View attachment 249856
View attachment 249857
You're going to paint Wendy? ROTF
Sorry - just my 'sad humour'.

I've got a 'Trinny' kit sitting atop a wardrobe.

Day 23 Part 1 (14th August 2021)

While I continue planking and cutting gun ports I wanted to throw some questions at the board.

What would be a stunning red to paint the sides of the hull?

Wendy and I were thinking a Carmine of sort or Khorne red.

Would appreciate some input. Don't want it to be a dull red or a bright one. Something that will stand out divine with the black. Want something to standout as this ship will be an ornament in the house so not interested in having a weathered look.

Alan

Ps. Just bent my first plank at the bow. Really pleased with the result. Will add photos later today.
I'd say carmine - I used it on my Montañés.

Day 1

View attachment 249347

View attachment 249348

View attachment 249349

View attachment 249350

View attachment 249351

View attachment 249352
View attachment 249353

Dry fitting again.

View attachment 249354

Hallo @Alan Clark
Birthday-Cake

Back