Build Log: Santisima Trinidad (Occre 1:90 Scale Kit)

Hi Alan, for the most part, I think the quality of the material for the kits components, lumber, and fittings are ok. The central theme I noticed and could not ignore is "scale". Many of the fittings, when measured are too big for the 1/90 scale. The blocks for the top and royal masts are too large. Blocks and lines typically get smaller as you go from masts>top masts>topgallant>royal masts, etc. The kit uses the same size for all. Blocks for the canon rigging, too big. Belay pins and most of the eye bolts also too big. If the hatch gratings were to use the scale in the kit in real world seamen would have their feet falling through the grating holes and spraining their ankles or needing help to get unstuck. ROTF

I can get a little OCD with some of this stuff, and after all, it is just my humble opinion. I chose to purchase smaller after market blocks, belay pins and rope/line, eye bolts, etc. I milled my own hatches/gratings.

In your response to my PM, I'm happy to share here, in your log, at your request the steps I took to fabricate the quarter galleries. I don't have any illustrations of the steps I took to build the stern galleries.

As the ST kit is PoB and not PoF, there is no true transom substructure to build off of. So I decided to create them in a modular way and then attach them to port and starboard hull and stern plate.

I did use the kit's illustrations and the actual model to note the correct angles of the rake for the window panes and angle of the balusters.
I mapped and then cut blocks for each quarter gallery (out of boxwood) . Yes, overkill, but I tried two other woods but they lacked the density and tight grain needed for the precision of the cuts I wanted. I quick coat of flat black to help my visualize a little better. (this was my 4th attempt at scratch building these things and I had one goal......not needing a 5th attempt ):mad:Thumbsup
20210529_122603.jpg20210605_124950.jpg
Next, cutting and fitting the bottom supports for the balusters, then dry test fit of the window panes I cut from the kit's electroplated window strips.
20210605_124956.jpg20210609_150812.jpg
The fit on the windows was not exact, but I knew I would have some tolerance offered by the placement of the support posts between the windows in the next pic.
20210612_121639.jpg
Sorry, but no photos of the fabrication of the balusters. But it was pretty straight forward. Once I was happy with the lower supports and upper balustrades, I took 1mm x 1mm boxwood strips and marked their placement with the same strip (the spacing was also 1mm between the balusters), then glued them in place. The next photos show them in place and expose from the green tape. I taped the rest of the structure to protect it from what I was about to do free handed. I needed to create profiles on the balusters. At 1/90 scale I decided they didn't need to be perfect, but offer the illusion and allow the viewer to use their imagination as everyone has seen railings, spindles and balusters before.

I simply drew 3 horizontal lines, equidistant from the lower support to upper balustrade. I then took a deep breath :oops: and removed material along those lines with small rotary tool with a fine pointed bit for a fine line, then followed with a .6mm round ball bit to create a more rounded indentation.
20210613_230237.jpg20210614_144123.jpg20210614_134259.jpg20210614_142414.jpg

The final step was to paint lower supports and upper balustrades flat black and stain the balusters.
20210614_203152.jpg
The only element missing is the decorative design I painted on the bottoms. The white paint bright on the quarter galleries as it has not been "washed" to match the "aged" white paint on the rest of the ship.

The solution to my quarter gallery problem was more of an artistic approach versus a true life engineering approach. I felt for me, it would provide the best outcome for the model and my own sanity. I'm sure there were many other ways this could have been tackled. That is the reason I love SoS. There are so many creative minds and talent. I've taken my share of knowledge from the work of others. I'm happy to share, finally, one humble approach to solving a problem. This one was really out of the box, literally, out of Occre kit's box!!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Ken, very interesting. Thank you for sharing your ideas.
Spent the day preparing for the whales to be added. Unfortunately I spotted a few gun ports that are a couple of mil out so will have to look into that tomorrow. I was sure I got them right, but looks like I failed somewhere .... bugger.
Alan

Day 59 Part 1 (19th September 2021)

Early Sunday morning start.

D5P_1345.jpeg
D5P_1337.jpeg

Stupid me. I'm getting careless. Should have laid her on a cloth before taking the above picture as I could scratch under the hull. I can't describe how pleased I am with how this sapelli wood finished. These photos don't do it justice.

D5P_1332.jpeg D5P_1333.jpeg
D5P_1334.jpeg D5P_1335.jpeg
D5P_1338.jpeg D5P_1342.jpeg

Last edited:
AT LAST??? This is the fastest build I have ever seen! And so beautifully done!
Hi Paul

To be honest I thought I was being too slow. I spend way too much time deep in thought and bickering about what to do when I encounter a problem .... or when I'm not to sure how to do a next step I end up surfing the web finding out how others tackled the issue.

I even go to bed and spend ages thinking about the next days tasks.

I spend daytimes building and evening times filing metal components while watching TV with the admiral.

I'm in the conservatory at the moment doing the daytime builds as my youngest son is working from home and he's in the hobby room with all his works computer equipment and books (he's a graphic designer). I believe he's back to the office in a few weeks time so I can move back into that room.

Anyway, I just shutdown the shipyard (conservatory ... LOL) so I'll post 3 photos of where I'm at in the next post.

Days 60 and 61 (20th to 21st September 2021)

Tied up with some home duties over the past 2 days but I have managed to dry fit some gun port frames on the lowest deck.

I know .... they are all wobbly ..... but they need filling as they have nibs on the corners caused by over spilling of the castings. I will grind them all down and sit them properly when the time comes.

Also still planking the inner bulwarks .... and opening up gun ports again!

D5P_1374.jpeg
D5P_1375.jpeg
D5P_1372.jpeg D5P_1371.jpeg
D5P_1369.jpeg

A note on the above.

That mis coloured plank is just a test plank. I'm not sure whether to keep that filled or remove it. Decisions, decisions!

Hi Alan,

Will you modify the covers in any way or just leave them as provided in the kit? I thought you were going to need to make all these from wood so the kit has provided an easy solution to a major task.

Also the sapelli (mahogany?) looks fantastic!

Alan, hello. It's probably too late now, but on the following models, try to keep the joints of the sheathing boards on the same line. They were displaced and repeated across 3 or 4 boards.D5P_1369.jpeg

Hi Paul

It's sapelli. I love it. I was going to start another ship but when I put the Danish oil on the sapelli and saw how it came up I was driven to continue.

Those gun lids / covers supplied in the kit are handy. I think they are cool. The details on them are way out of scale but as long as nobody looks to closely I should get away with it.

Two gun ports are going to be filled in as they don't look right on the ship. That has given me two metal ports to experiment with. One of them I ground down the top hinges and was able to squeeze them in tightly between the whales. The lid still sat in okay. I have not decided what to do yet. The above photos is an experiment to see what I think. I have several other ideas to try. It's all exciting.

Day 61 (21st September 2021)

Again dry fitting gun port frames ..... as I mentioned above these need cleaning up so they are not sitting properly at the moment. Some intense grinding will be performed .... probably start tomorrow.

The admiral and I have decided on the next course of action and it looks like we have chosen Vallejo's Carmine Red on the lime wood and the whales will be black ..... which black I have not decided yet.

D5P_1377.jpeg D5P_1378.jpeg
D5P_1379.jpeg D5P_1381.jpeg
D5P_1382.jpeg D5P_1384.jpeg
D5P_1383.jpeg

She is turning into a super-beautiful and impressive ship, Alan! What you have achieved in such a short space of time is very impressive!

Back