Build Log: Santisima Trinidad (Occre 1:90 Scale Kit)

Very good work and great progress on the planking Alan. As to the color scheme - you really got me nodding with approval when I first read about the red/black combination. The pictures that @Jaime R sent you, reaffirmed this. To me (and I know this is hugely personal), the Ochre Yellow and Black is a color combination that is intrinsically associated with British ships. Good luck with the decision though - you remain the shipwright in charge of your yard.

Very good work and great progress on the planking Alan. As to the color scheme - you really got me nodding with approval when I first read about the red/black combination. The pictures that @Jaime R sent you, reaffirmed this. To me (and I know this is hugely personal), the Ochre Yellow and Black is a color combination that is intrinsically associated with British ships. Good luck with the decision though - you remain the shipwright in charge of your yard.

Hi Heinrich

What other colour combinations did Spanish ships display?

Alan

Hi Alan. I like the Red and Black color scheme. I do not know if you saw @shelk superb build of the ST and whilst you may or may not like the weathered effect, you will see that it was a true artist who was at work here. If he chose Red for the hull that speaks volumes (in my opinion).

Hi Alan. I like the Red and Black color scheme. I do not know if you saw @shelk superb build of the ST and whilst you may or may not like the weathered effect, you will see that it was a true artist who was at work here. If he chose Red for the hull that speaks volumes (in my opinion).

Yes, I watched every video of @shelk Santisma Trinidad build. Learn't a lot and he inspired me to buy this kit.

Thank you Paul.

I might do another build along side this. I have the Duchess of Kingston arriving in a few days time.

Day 45 (5th September 2021)

Busy at the shipyard today.

D5P_1288.jpeg

Shipyard had to close until further notice as in the late afternoon workers were seen running and screaming in panic as Godzilla approached.

D5P_1289.jpeg D5P_1290.jpeg

But she was tamed as she sat down and apologised for slobbering all over the ship!

D5P_1291.jpeg

The cleaners were brought in to clean the mess up.

"Back to work tomorrow you lot."

Its called a baptism and she was only bestowing her blessings on your build. Sorry, Alan, but next to her the ST fades into oblivion - she's a darling!

Wonderful clean work Alan!! Some time ago (2yrs) I too started the ST (Occre) project, which was my first model build. I did not start a build log as, being my first project I was not confident in my skills and even if I would finish it. Being my first build I have not acquired the build skills that many, many SoS members have. With that said, I found myself being disappointed in the quality of many of the fittings and components Occre supplied with the kit and found myself, without those skills, but still scratch building things. I've stalled a bit when my ship almost became an airplane on one or two occasions.

But, I did notice the discussion of the ST's colors arise and wanted to at least offer what the Spanish's Red/Black/White of the Trafalgar period could look like. Below is just a couple of pics of my dusty ship. Reading your build log may have just given me the spark to maybe take her out of mothballs and start work up again. Hope this gives you some help visualizing the possible "look".

I will continue to follow your great build. Good luck mate!
Ken

20210916_123736.jpg

20210916_123724.jpg

20210916_123736.jpg

Wonderful clean work Alan!! Some time ago (2yrs) I too started the ST (Occre) project, which was my first model build. I did not start a build log as, being my first project I was not confident in my skills and even if I would finish it. Being my first build I have not acquired the build skills that many, many SoS members have. With that said, I found myself being disappointed in the quality of many of the fittings and components Occre supplied with the kit and found myself, without those skills, but still scratch building things. I've stalled a bit when my ship almost became an airplane on one or two occasions.

But, I did notice the discussion of the ST's colors arise and wanted to at least offer what the Spanish's Red/Black/White of the Trafalgar period could look like. Below is just a couple of pics of my dusty ship. Reading your build log may have just given me the spark to maybe take her out of mothballs and start work up again. Hope this gives you some help visualizing the possible "look".

I will continue to follow your great build. Good luck mate!
Ken

View attachment 256545

View attachment 256548

View attachment 256549

Wow Ken. Thank you for posting your photos.

She is looking good. You should continue. I have some slight variations planned in the red/black colour scheme. I was going to drop the white stripes and I just mentioned that to the admiral (Wendy) while we were viewing your photos and she said 'oh no, you must have the white stripes.' I'm a bit scared of screwing them up!

Kit Fittings: You have worried me now. I have not really looked at the fittings closely yet. I've only cleaned up the cannons and have started cleaning up the gun ports and lids ready for priming over the weekend (hopefully).

So I might take a look at the fittings closely tonight before I hit the sack. I know that the stern decorative PE plate is a bit bland and flat 2D. I knew that before I purchased her. I didn't really want to spend to much time scratch building parts as I have a queue of builds waiting to get in the shipyard. I see you have built balconies.

This was just meant to be a build to improve my skills.

I've spent nearly 300 hours so far on her already and some days I think I'm getting nowhere.

Alan

Yes, I scratch built the quarter galleries; 4 times!!!!! Also scratch built were the galleries and stern plate, only twice. It was right about this time that my ship almost became a plane and took a trip out the shop window.. The only supplied pieces I used were the actual window frames. I snipped apart from the supplied electroplated piece to create individual window panes, then constructed the other supporting components.

I don't want highjack your build log. If you would like I could PM you the pics of the steps I took to build. If not, all good. Regardless, looking at the progress and the quality of your work, I'm sure you will find the best way to create a wonderful ship.

Ken.

Back