Build Log: Santisima Trinidad (Occre 1:90 Scale Kit)

Hello Alan,

I'm just catching up with your build log and I love your work. I'll confess to laughing when you wrote early on that you expected the ST to be an easier build than the Victory - but you have since explained your thought process. I admire your ambition to take on either of these ships! I'll pull up a chair to join the watch party - just don't burn yourself out again - this will be a long haul...

Thanks Paul.

I know this is going to be a long haul. I'm hoping I don't burn out again.

Pulled down the Victory from top of our bedroom cupboards this morning. Jeez that is a big model. Forgot how big it was. Makes the ST model look small .... its little baby.

Following your build and enjoying the many images which are very informative. Keep them coming!

Days 17, 18 and 19 (8th - 10th August 2021)

Planking and cutting gun ports.

Gun port cutting not so exciting. I'm beginning to dream about them.

View attachment 249844
View attachment 249845
View attachment 249846
View attachment 249847
View attachment 249848
View attachment 249849
If that's what the gun ports are doing to you, wait 'til you get to the rigging knots ! When I built Montanes I woke up most mornings with my bed sheets tied in clove hitches!ROTF I've got Trinidad on the shelf in 'waiting-to-do'. Another source of info. on her is John Aliprantis' Youtube build.
I'm also wondering if it would be easier or quicker to cut the planks & fit up to the ports rather than cutting them out??

If that's what the gun ports are doing to you, wait 'til you get to the rigging knots ! When I built Montanes I woke up most mornings with my bed sheets tied in clove hitches!ROTF I've got Trinidad on the shelf in 'waiting-to-do'. Another source of info. on her is John Aliprantis' Youtube build.
I'm also wondering if it would be easier or quicker to cut the planks & fit up to the ports rather than cutting them out??
Hi Stuart

I did think about that. But I think slowly after each run of a plank they would slowly not line up. Unless of course you pinned a dummy plank below the current plank your'e working on. If that makes sense.

Hi Alan, that's my reasoning as well, but if the top plank is fitted then it would act as a guide for installing pre-cut planks, with one pinned below there'd be a tendency for glue to to creep underneath I think. I'm sure I used this method somewhere on Montañés. In theory this method should work on the first layer of planks, then fit the second, thinner layer in full lengths which would be easier to cut out.

Hi Stuart.

Yeah your right about the creeping glue.
The Montañés was my second chose after ST. How is your build going?

I've hardly touched the ship today. My car was well over due for a good valeting so I spent all morning and lunch time cleaning it.

Just sat down to do some gun ports and put another plank on when my eldest son turned up. Have not seen him in a while so we're having a chat now.

Hopefully do some later before the evening draws in.

Alan

Have found at least 3 lime wood 5x2 mm planks now that start at 5mm and taper slowly to 3 mm. Badly cut .... a bit annoying. Hope I have enough to complete the planking.

Day 24 (15th August 2021)

About to hit the sack.

As I said earlier only did one plank today. While continuing our viewing of season 1 of Lost this evening I started filing and cleaning the metal gun ports. Lots of flash stopping many gun lids to close. Got about a third the way through.

No photos today. I'll give you all a break!

Night all.

Alan

Hi Stuart.

Yeah your right about the creeping glue.
The Montañés was my second chose after ST. How is your build going?

I've hardly touched the ship today. My car was well over due for a good valeting so I spent all morning and lunch time cleaning it.

Just sat down to do some gun ports and put another plank on when my eldest son turned up. Have not seen him in a while so we're having a chat now.

Hopefully do some later before the evening draws in.

Alan
Hi Alan, I finished 'Monty' in June. I didn't like some of the metal bits ie; gun carriages, belfry, & top & bottoms of stern galleys (there were two tops of the same hand, OcCre sent me a replacement, but completely the wrong [unidentifiable] part, so I made a pair in pear wood.) I reproduced all these metal parts in wood. The running rigging threw up a few problems. She's painted & coppered & now awaiting my making a case - it's gonna be a 'big 'un'! I'm building OcCre's Beagle now, with Bounty & Le Superbe both ready for planking.

Day 25 (16th August 2021)

Nothing much to report. I did a couple of planks and will take some photos tomorrow morning. Carried on cutting gun ports. Some will need slight adjustments later as they are not quite running in line.

Day 27 (18th August 2021)

I know .... I've gone a bit silent on this board. I have been working hard on the ship just don't want to post too many minor updates.

Wendy and I have been deciding on a red colour to use. We tried 3 but they all not right.

I've already started to paint the cannons black but now wondering whether I should go with copper. Have not got any brass paint to try.

Here's some photos of this days progress.

D5P_1194.jpeg D5P_1202.jpeg
D5P_1200.jpeg D5P_1197.jpeg
D5P_1195.jpeg D5P_1193.jpeg

Very good progress - and the lines are looking good.
The only area which is looking slightly wrong is now visible with the cut gunports on the second gundeck
It seems, but maybe this is also caused by the photo perspective the first two or three gunports which seems to be too low.
The gundecks were usually in a curve from stern to bow, so also the same with the gunports ..... maybe you can check this area once more before you go much further with the planking
D5P_1194.jpeg

Alan, good afternoon. These places are embarrassing. The gun ports should be at the same distance from the deck, while yours "dance" at different heights. And in the nose, what will happen to this triangle?View attachment 251383

Alexander74. You don't need to be embarrassed!

The gun ports are altered as I plank. If you look at the above 3 decks they are lined up. Maybe out half a mil here and there. That will be corrected when I insert the metal gun ports.

Well obviously the triangle will be planked.

Very good progress - and the lines are looking good.
The only area which is looking slightly wrong is now visible with the cut gunports on the second gundeck
It seems, but maybe this is also caused by the photo perspective the first two or three gunports which seems to be too low.
The gundecks were usually in a curve from stern to bow, so also the same with the gunports ..... maybe you can check this area once more before you go much further with the planking
View attachment 251384

I'm checking all the time. The angle of the photo and the curved hull is causing this illusion .... I think. I will check again.

The same illusion can be seen here:

HMS-Victory.jpeg

Last edited:
Back