Build Log: Santisima Trinidad (Occre 1:90 Scale Kit)

Day 20 Part 1 (11th August 2021)

I've nearly caught up with the current day. I should be able to post yesterdays and todays progress this evening.

Its the evening here and I'm watching Lost with my wife Wendy. We are on Season 1 Episode 11. We are binge watching and have probably another 100 episodes to go .... and I have another 100 gun ports to cut! The ends of my fingers are now numb. Haven't cut myself yet but the knife has slipped a few times and I've scratched the wood in several places that will be noticeable if I oiled her.

Not too concerned now as Wendy and I made a decision tonight. I'm going to paint her red and black. We did some research on the internet and I've found the red I like. Just need to find that red in a shop somewhere.

Anyway, this was my progress yesterday (Day 20) ......

D5P_1098.jpeg
D5P_1099.jpeg
D5P_1103.jpeg
D5P_1105.jpeg
D5P_1107.jpeg

Day 20 Part 2 (11th August 2021)

Some more images ..... I hope you are all enjoying my build. Studying other peoples builds helped me in the construction of this ship. The more photos in a build log gave me more knowledge. Especially that the instructions that accompanied this kit and my Victory kit are not very good.

So I know I'm posting a lot of photos but I hope that future builders will find my photos invaluable.

Enjoy .....

D5P_1108.jpeg
D5P_1111.jpeg
D5P_1113.jpeg
D5P_1114.jpeg
D5P_1115.jpeg
D5P_1117.jpeg

Day 21 (12th August 2021)

I've caught up!

Today was a very busy day ..... cutting port holes .... bloody things.

But I also for the first time glued a plank on with super glue (Medium). In the past its never worked. So I gave up and since then been using wood glue. But today was success.

D5P_1123.jpeg
D5P_1127.jpeg

Looking great, and you will have nightmares on cutting gun ports by the time your done planking.

The new knowledge on successful use of superglue should stick with you and your fingers! ha ha.

Kurt

Really an interesting kit - and very good presented in your building log :cool:
-> I am enjoying to follow your work and progress

Day 22 Part 1 (13th August 2021)

Busy day at Portchester Shipyard today. Much sawing could be heard across the countryside. My team are opening up those gun ports.

Managed to get two planks on today and last thing last night I started adding more false nails to the decking. I'll finish that when I get home from work later this evening.

I'll also post a couple more photos which I need to download from my camera. No time now .... leaving to sort mail ...... !

And thank you for all who have taken interest in my build so far.

Alan

Day 23 Part 1 (14th August 2021)

While I continue planking and cutting gun ports I wanted to throw some questions at the board.

What would be a stunning red to paint the sides of the hull?

Wendy and I were thinking a Carmine of sort or Khorne red.

Would appreciate some input. Don't want it to be a dull red or a bright one. Something that will stand out divine with the black. Want something to standout as this ship will be an ornament in the house so not interested in having a weathered look.

Alan

Ps. Just bent my first plank at the bow. Really pleased with the result. Will add photos later today.

Hey Alan,
I am enjoying your log. This ship is definitely on my list.
I am kind of new to this world of ship building. As my knowledge and skills grow, I am sure I will one day build this beautiful ship, and reference back to your log.
Thank you so much for sharing.

So am I understanding you correctly, that the HMS Victory is a more difficult build?

Dear Alan
you are doing wonderful work and achieving great progress. well done

Hey Alan,
I am enjoying your log. This ship is definitely on my list.
I am kind of new to this world of ship building. As my knowledge and skills grow, I am sure I will one day build this beautiful ship, and reference back to your log.
Thank you so much for sharing.

So am I understanding you correctly, that the HMS Victory is a more difficult build?
Robert

Thanks for taking interest in my build.

As I said in my opening post, after watching several videos online of Occre's Santisima Trinidad (ST) I decided I wanted to build up more practice and techniques with this ship before returning to the Victory. The Victory is no harder, but with the videos and build logs of the ST I can see I can over come hurdles because I can view the videos and logs to see what others did. With the Victory I could not find this level of videos and logs to guide me. The amount times I stopped was a lot as the included instructions were very vivid.

What will be daunting on the Victory kit is the amount of brass etching included in the box. It will take a lot of care and patience to attach all this brass. That probably would be a good reason to say that the Jokitas Victory build will be harder and will take much longer as the ST does not have that level of detail.

Does that make sense in what I'm saying?

The videos I found useful for the ST build are:

this one has 114 episodes! A grand effort

79 episodes with this build

and the text descriptive build logs which I am referring to are:

this excellent one from user Donnie

and this one has loads of photos from user MateuszG

And I found a new one this morning which I need to study. It looks really really good from user donlong

Alan

Robert

Thanks for taking interest in my build.

As I said in my opening post, after watching several videos online of Occre's Santisima Trinidad (ST) I decided I wanted to build up more practice and techniques with this ship before returning to the Victory. The Victory is no harder, but with the videos and build logs of the ST I can see I can over come hurdles because I can view the videos and logs to see what others did. With the Victory I could not find this level of videos and logs to guide me. The amount times I stopped was a lot as the included instructions were very vivid.

What will be daunting on the Victory kit is the amount of brass etching included in the box. It will take a lot of care and patience to attach all this brass. That probably would be a good reason to say that the Jokitas Victory build will be harder and will take much longer as the ST does not have that level of detail.

Does that make sense in what I'm saying?

The videos I found useful for the ST build are:

this one has 114 episodes! A grand effort

79 episodes with this build

and the text descriptive build logs which I am referring to are:

this excellent one from user Donnie

and this one has loads of photos from user MateuszG

And I found a new one this morning which I need to study. It looks really really good from user donlong

Alan
Thank you for all of the information. Yes you make complete sense to me.
Part of me wants to jump right in on the ST. But I can see that I have a lot to learn with the rigging. Perhaps a few more tools to collect.
I really look forward to following your progress.
Have a great day.
Rob

Hello Alan,

I'm just catching up with your build log and I love your work. I'll confess to laughing when you wrote early on that you expected the ST to be an easier build than the Victory - but you have since explained your thought process. I admire your ambition to take on either of these ships! I'll pull up a chair to join the watch party - just don't burn yourself out again - this will be a long haul...

Thank you for all of the information. Yes you make complete sense to me.
Part of me wants to jump right in on the ST. But I can see that I have a lot to learn with the rigging. Perhaps a few more tools to collect.
I really look forward to following your progress.
Have a great day.
Rob

Jump right in. You won't be doing the rigging for many months yet!

Back