Build log USF Confederacy 1778 Model Shipways 1:64

My friend,
your work is looking very good - very accurate execution
One question abot these two holes in the deck - what they are for?
Especially I am wondering, that the two holes are not symetric to the ship axis...
WhatsApp Image 2022-01-29 at 16.36.10 (8).jpeg

Hello Uwe, thank you very much for your appreciation and for your question.

The holes are the openings for the ropes that come from the steering wheel drum on the quarter deck above, where the openings are depicted the same way. Below the main deck the ropes are fastened to the tiller

Last edited:
Hello Uwe, thank you very much for your appreciation and for your question.

The holes are the openings for the ropes that come from the steering wheel drum on the quarter deck above, where the openings are depicted the same way. Below the main deck the ropes are fastened to the tiller
Oh Ja - now I have it....... thanks for the explanation - logical that they are not symetric

Werner the Eye Bolts and Rings you are using for the gun tackle, did you make those, were they part of the kit, or purchased separately from a different vendor? On my CAF Enterprise the ones supplied are too small. thanks, Paul

Werner the Eye Bolts and Rings you are using for the gun tackle, did you make those, were they part of the kit, or purchased separately from a different vendor? On my CAF Enterprise the ones supplied are too small. thanks, Paul
Hello Paul,
All eyebolts and rings I used for the gun tackles were provided with the kit. You say yours are too small, what is their diameter?

Hello Paul,
All eyebolts and rings I used for the gun tackles were provided with the kit. You say yours are too small, what is their diameter?
Werner the Rings are 3mm....seems too small for the main rope that holds the breech of the gun to the inner planking, also for the tackle rings bolted to the deck. The model is 1/48 scale.

IMG_1479.jpg

Werner the Rings are 3mm....seems too small for the main rope that holds the breech of the gun to the inner planking, also for the tackle rings bolted to the deck. The model is 1/48 scale.

View attachment 296152
Paul,
Thank you for the picture....the rings I used have two sizes, 3 rsp 2,5 mm outer diameter, which is ok for 1/64. I used the 3mm rings for the inner buiwarks and the 2,5mm rings as lead rings on the gun carriage, see the picture of the gun on page 2. Assuming a diameter of your breech line of 1,5mm, I think you should use 4mm rsp 3mm rings if you like.

Werner thankyou....do you have a source for the rings?
Paul,
Thank you for the picture....the rings I used have two sizes, 3 rsp 2,5 mm outer diameter, which is ok for 1/64. I used the 3mm rings for the inner buiwarks and the 2,5mm rings as lead rings on the gun carriage, see the picture of the gun on page 2. Assuming a diameter of your breech line of 1,5mm, I think you should use 4mm rsp 3mm rings if you like.

Werner thankyou....do you have a source for the rings?
In Germany I would try
faber-modellbau.de/Katalog/artikelinfo/20213/messingringe
I don't know if they deliver overseas, I think there will be a vendor in the US

Wow! That is simply superb planking - some of the best I have seen in a long time. It is a pity that you have to paint over that - very well done!
Hi Werner. I agree, the planking is something I can. only dream about (Just planked my first build if you could call it planked) What technique is used to get the planking flush with the frame?

Back