Building Log for the Nauticurso U.S. AV-SC96 Sub Chaser 1:32 [Completed Build]

I just found a great 3D link for the sub chaser.
Here you could also see the many ways that other modelers have built this model.

So, after a sudden stop in this build, I finally pick it up again.
I stopped it because Model Expo commissioned me another model they needed to take pictures of for their catalog.
I will make another building log for this new little model, the “Chesapeake Bay Flattie”. Nice little model that I m sure many of us have built many years ago.
Continuing with the sub, I have a few more planking pictures.
IMG_1425.jpgIMG_1427.jpgIMG_1435.jpgIMG_1436.jpgIMG_1437.jpgIMG_1438.jpg

Since this model didn’t come with written instruction I was relaying in the pictures provided by the manufacturer and I couldn’t see exactly when the shaft reinforcements pieces where supposed to be installed and to my opinion they should be installed before planking the hull. I added my with difficulties after I had planked the hull.
They go between bulkwards 6-7.Shaft reenforcements .jpgshaft reenforcments .jpg
Here you can see it already installed.
Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 12.30.15 PM.jpg

Last edited:
One nice detail that I found out on line was the fact that Miami had a U.S. Navy Sub Chaser Training Center and they also had a funny looking logo.
I bought this matchbook cover on Ebay and Im planning to create a small flag to go alone with the sub.

fos4.jpgfosforo1.jpgfosfo2.jpgfods3.jpg

Last edited:
alross2:
How about the fact that you could buy one of these sub chasers after the war?
Take a look at these adds.
buy1.png
buy2.png

Last edited:
Finally I have the chance to enter a few more pics on this subcahser build.
I have learned a lot about this magnificente old defenders since my last post.
The subchase Im building is the SC-96 that served overseas from Base 25, Greece, under the command of Ens. P. Springer, USNRF.
This picture is of this mentioned subchaser together with SC338 at Spalato (Split), celebrating American Independence Day, July 4 1919.
96-338.png

This is my new workshop, just a big table on my backyard since my wife is using my indoor workshop for her work from home business. I just cant complaint, she makes more money than me.
After many hours building, cleaning, priming and poreparing over 80 parts I was ready to start painting the USNavy grey coat I came up with.
Table1.jpgtable3.jpg
table5.jpgtable6.jpgtable8.jpgtable9.jpg

I spent many hours creating parts that the kit didnt have but I had to put in or it just wouldn't look good.
One of them was all of the hatches, and lights.
IMG_2068.jpgIMG_2069.jpg
This two pieces I added on top of the exixiting kit parts, later on you will see why I added them.
For the light I attached a plexy rod on my drill and turn it until I was satisfied with the shape, I proceed to drill the inside and add color, then I made some cooper rings to add on the top.
IMG_E2186.jpg

You are fortunate you live in a place where you can work outdoors this time of year. Here in mid-Michigan currently it is 30 degrees F with rain and snow about to pelt us again. Your kit of the SC-1 is coming along nicely. It has many more fine details than the Dumas kit I built a few years ago. Keep up the good work!

As you can see, I just couldnt use the parts provided by the kit and created my own boom and base.
The left part is what came with the kit, the other is what I came up with.
boom base1.jpgboom base2.jpgboom.jpgboom2.jpg

You are fortunate you live in a place where you can work outdoors this time of year. Here in mid-Michigan currently it is 30 degrees F with rain and snow about to pelt us again. Your kit of the SC-1 is coming along nicely. It has many more fine details than the Dumas kit I built a few years ago. Keep up the good work!
TheDonmi:
For the past weeks the temperature here has been in the 80's, sometime I have to stop building the subchaser and jump in the pool to refresh a bit.

I just looked up the Nauticurso SC on the Model Expo web site. I am impressed with the level of detail offered by this kit...a definite step up from the Dumas kit, which to be fair is advertised as "semi-scale." Hmmm...80 degrees and a pool to jump into sure sounds sweet! This is a recent view of our back yard over the bird feeders. My workshop is in the basement!

tempImageztWqz4.png

interesting build Bluebeard, i will follow this whilst pulling my hair out on my soleil royal build which should start next week!

Back