Building The New HMS Endeavour By Artesania Latina Video Log

Good afternoon.
Although this is not my first ship build, I hope for it to be the best one yet. I have attempted to build several kits but I have only completed one so far. I would usually quit once I got to the sails.

There won't be much in the way of pictures here unless they are requested of specific area, (This has proven to be a lie, I'm enjoying posting pictures ROTF) but I intend to log each step in the manual by section in video form. I just finished my first build log video and hope some of you might go take a peek at it, and maybe offer some suggestions as to what you would like to see in a build video.

As I move forward there are some things that I would like to vary from the kit. Use of aftermarket rope, fittings ( I may actually design and 3d print new blocks and dead eyes) and planking the model the "correct" way.

As I build the ship, I hope to learn the ways of the force....oops wrong thread....I mean proper ship building techniques and will be using this thread to ask questions.

In the first section we are only building up the frame work as covered in pages 11-21 in the manual. Pretty basic, straight forward and a typical frame build with no surprises.

Below is a link to my first video.

Thanks for coming along for the ride.

Jamie

Frame.jpg

Last edited:
This is ABSOLUTELY fantastic. This type of video is what I have been wanting to do for a long time, but I do not know how to put it together. The fast forward method is really nice, the angle of shot and all is very professionally done - and - considering that I work in TV and Radio broadcasting as an Engineer.

I wish you could PM me to give me the details on Camera, Camera positioning, software and how you speed up the video.

Excellent video, Jamie! I do like your glue dispenser/applicator!

Gregg
Thanks Gregg,
You can find them on Amazon. Just search for needle tip bottles. I got 5ea 30ml bottles for $6.99. Saves a lot of waste in my opinion.

This is ABSOLUTELY fantastic. This type of video is what I have been wanting to do for a long time, but I do not know how to put it together. The fast forward method is really nice, the angle of shot and all is very professionally done - and - considering that I work in TV and Radio broadcasting as an Engineer.

I wish you could PM me to give me the details on Camera, Camera positioning, software and how you speed up the video.
Thank you for the kind words. I was a YouTube streamer in a past life, so I have a lot of equipment that transferred over to this new hobby.
It really means a lot to have someone compliment you on your efforts, especially when you spend almost as much time editing as you do building.
I don't mind sharing my setup with you. I'm familiar with forum setups, but I don't see a PM option. So, a newbie question, is a "conversation" the same as a PM? If so, I'll be in touch shortly.
As you can tell, I am VERY new here with just my third post. LOL.

Finished the deck planking. Couldn't help it and had to throw some tung oil on it to check my pattern. I used some darker wood from an older kit along with the lighter wood from the new kit. I cut my planks to size (or my estimation of an appealing size) and blackened the edges to simulate caulking. Tree nails are made using a micro scribe to poke holes and then darkened with a .8mm pencil lead. I really had to focus on making sure I didn't screw it up. Turned out OK.

IMG_0139.JPG

John Aliprantas has been doing a series on building this kit to. He videos most of his builds and releases them on his channel. He builds to the instructions but highlights issues he finds and how he gets around them.
The latest video is at:

John Aliprantas has been doing a series on building this kit to. He videos most of his builds and releases them on his channel. He builds to the instructions but highlights issues he finds and how he gets around them.
I've sent him rope for that build, he should have a video about it soon.

Yeah, I've watched John's videos. In fact I've watched just about every wooden model ship video I could find. Olha is my favorite though. Very talented lady.

Last edited:
I'll be starting the hull planking soon, so I 3d printed a 1:1 hull section to help form the planks. I really don't know how I survived so long without a 3d printer.ROTF

View attachment 322985
Nice idea if you have the scanner and printer. I did this directly on the hull though I had to wait till the planks dried before I could glue in place. This idea would certainly speed up the planking process with one of theses for each of the horizontal profiles for the bow and stern section.

Very good way with this selfmade form - great idea

Back