Building "VASA" (1628) a Dutch designed ship built in Sweden: now again in The Netherlands....

Yes, Spars. The Artesania Latina Vasa is the same as the DeAgostini Vasa. In fact, you can only purchase this kit from Artesania Latina now. DeAgostini no longer sells it. But if memory serves - you already have the DeAgostini Vasa??? Didn't you start it a few years ago?

Yes. Poorly begun. No follow thru on my part. No longer certain I have all the separate installments. Caring for my boy derailed me. Maybe I should see which kit installments I have and try again.
I did an online search for Vasa and DeAgostini has a new kit out but available only in Europe.

Awesome! Welcome…a word of encouragement from my experience…ask your questions even if they seem silly or simple, we have all been there! One part at a time…don’t get overwhelmed by the thousand parts still in the box! It is only wood…make a mistake and it can be fixed. And last, your model will be ugly until it isn’t! Have fun! :)

So, closing the ship on its aft/stern isn't so easy at all. Although the planks are small, they need a curve and that proofed hard to do on a small piece of planking. Besides I ripped off a few of them afterward, that didn't improve the base structure either. As you can see it is a bit of a ghost ship now...Some canonballs surely hit it..But the replankng seem to pay off..pfff, wait and see

spiegel.jpg

Awesome! Welcome…a word of encouragement from my experience…ask your questions even if they seem silly or simple, we have all been there! One part at a time…don’t get overwhelmed by the thousand parts still in the box! It is only wood…make a mistake and it can be fixed. And last, your model will be ugly until it isn’t! Have fun! :)
Jim, i will keep up the spirit...

Well, I finished the backside of the stern... I am pleased with the result so far. And to make things worse, I decided to cut up the boardingplanks into separate pieces, instead of drawing the ends of the planks with a pencil, as is suggested in the manual... Cutting up is a lot of extra work, but it enhances the feel of reality...

spiegel.jpgboarding.jpg

Last edited:
Made some progress! the gunport are all.cut out now. Rather to my satisfaction. I used a 10mm cut blade mounted on a Dremel, and cross cut in a 'x'x the corner points. Then proceed to cut the horizontal lines, and finally the vertical outlines of the ports. Than sanded the edges. Next step is to finalize the keel....
vasa3.png

Hi guys, I found out about this site when the built of this d'Augustini wooden scale model kit was already underway.
Never ever have I built a wooden ship in my life!
Let alone this beauty of a ship. We will see where it all ends. Hopefully in a presentable show case!

On SOS some remarks are made about the position of the gunport. In the original dAugustine drawing, the built the ports stay horizontal, but do follow the planking. In pictures I saw the gunport follow the flow of the planking. So I decided to tilt the guntports slightly. But that is for the next stage...
Now I am concentrating on the back op the ship.. some work needs to be done..
Hallo @Meonscale
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Vasa model going? Maybe you have an update for us ....

Back