Burmese rice boat

PT-2 have to say thought did cross my mind these models are said to be accurate according to people in the know but luckily there are photo's around which show such craft. Regarding the roof of the main cabin i have looked around and found some have flat roofs others have a pointed roof some have a curved roof maybe made from woven bamboo but rarely seen are ones curved in both directions using planks first pic does show roof similar to the model although just a sketch i think a photo will be found someday. Regarding sails you have to be careful ones that have only a main square sail the person who steers the boat cannot possibly see if he sits on top of the main cabin roof as in the next pic the person steering the boat would be sitting on the rear of the boat as in the third pic which are mainly long and slim where as the model is more wide in the beam. The boat under full sail i would say is a paddy boat which are quite large so there is evidence around just a case of finding it.
The sails in the photograph are a huge wing-spread!!! Nice backup. Rich (PT-2)

Just a quick update wanted to ask does anyone like to volunteer their thoughts on the side of the main cabin sides i first thought it followed the lines of the the hull but if that was the case the roof planks would have to bend in three directions which cannot be done with wood. Planks at the rear you will see they are not the same thickness they will be thinned down which i don't mind don't want the boat looking like some thing just out of the show room. Other than that i think i'm winning. Will try and take decent pic's when finished.

DSC04235.JPGDSC04236.JPGDSC04237.JPGDSC04238.JPGDSC04239.JPG

Just a quick update wanted to ask does anyone like to volunteer their thoughts on the side of the main cabin sides i first thought it followed the lines of the the hull but if that was the case the roof planks would have to bend in three directions which cannot be done with wood. Planks at the rear you will see they are not the same thickness they will be thinned down which i don't mind don't want the boat looking like some thing just out of the show room. Other than that i think i'm winning. Will try and take decent pic's when finished.
On a helical bend try a good soak and with heat approach the twist by holding the piece from the ends or however long you need that redirection of the wood fibers, very slowly and in incremental steps with a hot iron in a vice so that you can manipulate the wood with both hands. Depending upon the length you may be able to use a multi-arm clamping device to let it cool.. Just an idea. Think of your self as a scuptor with a pliable medium. Rich (PT-2)

Maybe also of some interest:

Looking at the sterometric pair of photographs, when I was a young photographic interpreter I had learned to use a 1,000 yard stare at two photos with both eyes and be able to see the 3-D perception. Now with only one functional eye I cannot do that any more but the photos look like the cabin sides may follow the gunn'ls and narrow deckway for the oarsmen to propel the boat along. I would think that poling the boat would also be feasible. In saving the photos and enlarging the jpg I think that the cabin sides do follow the curve of the gunn'ls. RIch (PT-2)

Rich many thanks for your input in my original drawing i did make the sides of the main cabin follow the lines of the hull what put me off was the last pic the rear end of the cabin seemed to touch the gunn'ls, pics on the computer are more clearer than the ones i printed. The model in the Horniman museum is the one i'm trying to copy the first pic shows a Paddy boat and the walkway is clearly shown a Rice boat ( the model) is smaller than the Paddy boat but very similar but we have to be careful there is another boat called a Rice boat which is long and slender nothing like the first two all in the terminology they all carry rice. Will try to make a mold today for the roof planking and will make the sides curved hopefully using veneer 3 strips per plank glued together might do the trick.

2.png.pngb7.jpg

This vessel looks to me that it came out of a futuristic apocalyptic movie.

Very interesting.

Rich many thanks for your input in my original drawing i did make the sides of the main cabin follow the lines of the hull what put me off was the last pic the rear end of the cabin seemed to touch the gunn'ls, pics on the computer are more clearer than the ones i printed. The model in the Horniman museum is the one i'm trying to copy the first pic shows a Paddy boat and the walkway is clearly shown a Rice boat ( the model) is smaller than the Paddy boat but very similar but we have to be careful there is another boat called a Rice boat which is long and slender nothing like the first two all in the terminology they all carry rice. Will try to make a mold today for the roof planking and will make the sides curved hopefully using veneer 3 strips p
This vessel looks to me that it came out of a futuristic apocalyptic movie.

Very interesting.

er plank glued together might do the trick.

That B/W photo looking aft is a great resource to have found to help resolve your cabin question. Good find for a good model. RIch (PT-2)

Looking at the model #4 and the first pic #20 you will see some kind of curved structure half way down the main cabin port and stb. really no idea what that is but someone must know. Having to look at the museum model more closely i can see some parts are missing but i could continue, however dilemma coming up when museum people say these models are accurate they must have something to compare it by i.e a drawing,painting,plan,photo and i've always thought there would be info out there so look what i found. This photo is the same TYPE of boat as the museum model smaller than it's sister the paddy boat but it clearly shows the structure for the oars or poles i think poles fwd of the main cabin as in the museum model so that resolves the walkway issue the dilemma now is do i continue with the model or try and make the real boat note it has done away with the bipolar mast but has same type of roof. When i think of river i just think river but water levels can go up or down maybe that is why some boats have oars and poles when the water level is low it might be to hard to row. Anyway will now have a deep think.

1a.png

Looking at the model #4 and the first pic #20 you will see some kind of curved structure half way down the main cabin port and stb. really no idea what that is but someone must know. Having to look at the museum model more closely i can see some parts are missing but i could continue, however dilemma coming up when museum people say these models are accurate they must have something to compare it by i.e a drawing,painting,plan,photo and i've always thought there would be info out there so look what i found. This photo is the same TYPE of boat as the museum model smaller than it's sister the paddy boat but it clearly shows the structure for the oars or poles i think poles fwd of the main cabin as in the museum model so that resolves the walkway issue the dilemma now is do i continue with the model or try and make the real boat note it has done away with the bipolar mast but has same type of roof. When i think of river i just think river but water levels can go up or down maybe that is why some boats have oars and poles when the water level is low it might be to hard to row. Anyway will now have a deep think.
There are so many details in the old photo that It presents a challenge to figure out what is what. Very nice cabin though to this point. Rich

Rich what you say is indeed correct but i think if you take bit by bit it can be unfolded what i like about old photo's where you see people it shows the scale and this is the first one iv'e seen with a window above the door on the rear of the cabin but i have others so surely i'll find something. When it comes to models you don't see the same detail on any of them and i think their cabins are slightly exaggerated. Getting back to the model i'm trying to make the cabin cleaned up nicely but it's the wrong shape as you will see in the photo's if there was such a thing on a curved roof as an apex you will see that it's too flat to my eye the curve should follow the inside of the stern so i have made another jig which i think this time is correct touch wood.

4.JPG5.JPG1.JPG2.JPG3.JPGDSC04250.JPG

Rich what you say is indeed correct but i think if you take bit by bit it can be unfolded what i like about old photo's where you see people it shows the scale and this is the first one iv'e seen with a window above the door on the rear of the cabin but i have others so surely i'll find something. When it comes to models you don't see the same detail on any of them and i think their cabins are slightly exaggerated. Getting back to the model i'm trying to make the cabin cleaned up nicely but it's the wrong shape as you will see in the photo's if there was such a thing on a curved roof as an apex you will see that it's too flat to my eye the curve should follow the inside of the stern so i have made another jig which i think this time is correct touch wood.
You produced a complex pattern for the complex cabin. Neatly done. Rich (PT-2)

Just an update to let you see the jig worked and remember 90% of what you see is still in it's rough state. Today i'm going to try and cut holes in the roof for the uprights for the rigging and the steering platform but not looking fwd to it could of course glue them but hate to think they will come off if i decide to install the rigging. The other thing today i will try and make some wood stain but still miles to go on the cabin. So other that i think i'm making some progress.

DSC04253.JPGDSC04255.JPGDSC04256.JPGDSC04257.JPGDSC04259.JPGDSC04260.JPG

Just an update to let you see the jig worked and remember 90% of what you see is still in it's rough state. Today i'm going to try and cut holes in the roof for the uprights for the rigging and the steering platform but not looking fwd to it could of course glue them but hate to think they will come off if i decide to install the rigging. The other thing today i will try and make some wood stain but still miles to go on the cabin. So other that i think i'm making some progress.
Your cabin turned out very well. Rich

It’s beautifully coming along.
The antique/used wood for the cabin it’s fantastic.

Holes in the roof went not to bad but I forgot to ask when making a stain/dye in this case brown using rusty steel and vinegar how long do I keep it in the vinegar for anyone.

Disaster struck the object of making my own was i felt the uprights and rail to the steering platform were too glaring and had to be darkened, but what a shock the apple turned a kind of yellow green and i thought better than before but the oak turned BLACK which i accidentally spilled some on the roof no mater what i try it cannot be removed.

DSC04263.JPG

The question now is what to do so long as i don't fix it to the deck the uprights and the platform rail can be removed not to easy but doable and the roof can be re veneered i think my only option. When i said at the beginning big cabin for the crew and small one the galley i am not so sure they are galleys at all when you see the workmen on the boat these which i will now call structures the are only about 4 feet high what there purpose is i don't really know have not done the sides yet because of all the photo's i look at no two are the same the last photo b/w looks as if it was done by three different people but also a nice view of how the stern was made. Will plod on.

DSC04262.JPGDSC04264.JPGDSC04265.JPGDSC04266.JPG1c.jpg2b.jpg

The question now is what to do so long as i don't fix it to the deck the uprights and the platform rail can be removed not to easy but doable and the roof can be re veneered i think my only option. When i said at the beginning big cabin for the crew and small one the galley i am not so sure they are galleys at all when you see the workmen on the boat these which i will now call structures the are only about 4 feet high what there purpose is i don't really know have not done the sides yet because of all the photo's i look at no two are the same the last photo b/w looks as if it was done by three different people but also a nice view of how the stern was made. Will plod on.
I think that your old photos give you a great source of actual conditions to build from. In spite of your "disaster" the model is looking very promising and a unique addition to the range of ships/boats and other projects in SoS. Rich (PT-2)

Back