CAF 1/48 Scale La Renommee 1744

Wonderful Paul! Great job on the walls and pass-throughs! No doors? Interesting.
Yes, thats how the plans show it....guess they climb thru the window.....Actually, interestingly I was watching the Hornblower series from England last week, and in one of the Episodes, it showed almost the exact same sliding hatch system. Even, though La Renommee is French, it was a close match

Last edited:
I'll be sure to reference your work when I get that far. Thanks for the photos!

Par contre il me semble que le bouton n'est pas actif car quand on clique dessus, rien ne se passe.

Par contre il me semble que le bouton n'est pas actif car quand on clique dessus, rien ne se passe.
You can email Tom at CAF directly to ask him if its available, I asked him yesterday if it was ready

Good evening Paul. Really great work. I’m enjoying the look and feel you are achieving with this build- very realistic. Cheers Grant
Grant, Thanks! Im still a Hacker....not a PRO like you. Question for you, the La Renommee shows a curved gun deck planking, Ie narrow at bow and stern. Similar to how you did your Xebec. Do you have any tips for doing this, it will be my first time trying to achieve this. Thanks, Paul

Grant, Thanks! Im still a Hacker....not a PRO like you. Question for you, the La Renommee shows a curved gun deck planking, Ie narrow at bow and stern. Similar to how you did your Xebec. Do you have any tips for doing this, it will be my first time trying to achieve this. Thanks, Paul
Hi Paul. It was tricky and planning the layout is key. It was similar to planking a hull with tapering and a dropper plank. I don’t know if you are decking both sides or leaving one open however the symmetry has to be really accurate or it is easily noticeable. On my Xebec I only had to taper some planks at the aft of the main deck, 2 at the forward and add 2 dropper deck planks also up front. Work from the inside out towards the bulkwarks. I’m not sure how curved the Le Renommee deck is so your tapering may be slight or not at all if the droppers are sufficient. If you do have to taper, Plan each plank taper to be identical up front or it will look irregular….some arithmetic ;). The tapering is slight. My outer planks by the bulwarks looked after themselves. Even with the frames I’m assuming it’s a matter of measuring accurately and carefully cutting here unless you plan to butt join them to an outer plank or waterway. (Beyond my ability I just layed the waterways afterwards- covered any blunders). The other aspect to plan carefully is the planking pattern as the curve changes the look of the pattern. The joints will not hold the exact pattern unless the planks are made marginally longer as you go outward at the curve. This is dependent on the length, how aggressive the curve is and of course the actual pattern of the Le Renommee’s deck. You may not do this. Plan, plan and more plan- do the mathROTF. Hope this helps. Cheers Grant

Hi Paul. It was tricky and planning the layout is key. It was similar to planking a hull with tapering and a dropper plank. I don’t know if you are decking both sides or leaving one open however the symmetry has to be really accurate or it is easily noticeable. On my Xebec I only had to taper some planks at the aft of the main deck, 2 at the forward and add 2 dropper deck planks also up front. Work from the inside out towards the bulkwarks. I’m not sure how curved the Le Renommee deck is so your tapering may be slight or not at all if the droppers are sufficient. If you do have to taper, Plan each plank taper to be identical up front or it will look irregular….some arithmetic ;). The tapering is slight. My outer planks by the bulwarks looked after themselves. Even with the frames I’m assuming it’s a matter of measuring accurately and carefully cutting here unless you plan to butt join them to an outer plank or waterway. (Beyond my ability I just layed the waterways afterwards- covered any blunders). The other aspect to plan carefully is the planking pattern as the curve changes the look of the pattern. The joints will not hold the exact pattern unless the planks are made marginally longer as you go outward at the curve. This is dependent on the length, how aggressive the curve is and of course the actual pattern of the Le Renommee’s deck. You may not do this. Plan, plan and more plan- do the mathROTF. Hope this helps. Cheers Grant
Grant, thanks so much! I am only doing half the deck, so you can see through to the holds, looks like I should do plenty of practice planks first! What is a Dropper Plank?

Back