Cafmodels 1/48th scale HMS Bellona

There's nothing new to report as I'm still very busy working on the Dutch two Decker. Indeed part one of the kit only consists of the pieces shown in this build-log
I have purchased Session 1 for my 4th build and Christmas 2022 present. I am not sure if I will need Session 2 as I have the AOS Bellona and am comfortable with fitting out between decks and then planking. Time will tell. Am also comfortable with scratch building Masts, yards and rigging as I have had to do so for both ENDEAVOUR and NORFOLK builds and very likely do the same for BOUNTY.

This is a very large kit
Mmmm. I have been doing the measurements and realised that its 1252mm in length but I am assuming that includes the Bowsprit as according to texts, Thunderer and Bellona were 166' and 168' respectively and launched within a month of each other. 166' is 1060mm. According to the scale calculator her main lower mast is 10mm diameter and 245mm long at 1:48. I have to check this with the AOS. Well I checked with AOS an the main mast is 36" diameter (19mm) and 30' long (190mm). Shows one cannot rely on generic period ship calculators.

I was keen to do building a 74 as I served on exchange posting at HMS THUNDERER in Plymouth during the 90's as an engineering instructor to graduates.

I am sure that you have the requisite blocks etc to suit.......

Last edited:
Mmmm. I have been doing the measurements and realised that its 1252mm in length but I am assuming that includes the Bowsprit as according to texts, Thunderer and Bellona were 166' and 168' respectively and launched within a month of each other. 166' is 1060mm. According to the scale calculator her main lower mast is 10mm diameter and 245mm long at 1:48. I have to check this with the AOS.

I was keen to do building a 74 as I served on exchange posting at HMS THUNDERER in Plymouth during the 90's as an engineering instructor to graduates.

I am sure that you have the requisite blocks etc to suit.......
Don't forget about the build log, obviously when you start this project... :cool:

Back