Canadian Bluenose Schooner - Build Log (Model Shipways)

I'm new to model ship building and am starting with the Model Shipways Bluenose and am using Bob Hunt's practicum. Good thing too because the instructions with the kit assume I know a whole lot more than I do. Yesterday I wrapped up chapter one of the practicum. So now I have a rough hull ready to do something with. It was a major sense of accomplishment. They only real issue I had was shaping the stern block. It wasn't the actual shaping but figuring out how it was supposed to be shaped. I looked at the scale drawings which confused me even more and then I looked at the photos with the practicum and I just couldn't find a good shot of what I was looking for. After worrying about this for a couple of days I went with what I thought was right.

This is a photo before I faired the hull. The ones after I finished must still be on the camera. I'll have to check.

1912__DSC9137_0101.jpg

Welcome to your first building log in our forum - Many thanks for starting.
The fairing of your bulkheads is looking good, can not see any mistake - I think you did it correct.
Also you prepared already the necessary rabbet for the garboard strake plank

I have a question. Yesterday I added the first planks for the waterways to line up the side planks as recommended in the practicum. But before I started planking I wondered if it would be worth doing the hull planking with appropriate lengths. The practicum says just to run a full piece of wood the length of the hull and alternate the short piece from front to back. Has anyone who has done this used scale lengths instead. Reading ahead further he recommends covering everything with wood putty and sanding which would likely hide any seems so I don't know if it's worth the effort. What do others think?

Also before I start this, it isn't mentioned in the practicum, or if it is I didn't notice, is it necessary to chamfer the edges of the hull planking as you go around. If I don't it seems like the gaps would get larger where you are running two long strips side by side on the curved areas.

Thanks.

....Don't sit down, it is time to dig another one... :) Hello mates, I am happy to introduce another Pink Floyd fan, Rodney! BTW, he likes to build models as well...

....Don't sit down, it is time to dig another one... :) Hello mates, I am happy to introduce another Pink Floyd fan, Rodney! BTW, he likes to build models as well...

Would you like to learn to fly?
Would'ya?
Would you like to see me try?

Well I guess you're seeing me try to build a ship. Yes I'm a fanatical Pink Floyd fan. Are there any other kind.

One thing I have learned from Bob Hunt's practicum is to follow the practicum. He has an easy and unique teaching style that will guide you to a great model. His years of experience and multiple model ship builds have developed a build process that works far better than most typical instructions or plan sets. The reason he covers his Bluenose with filler is that the real Bluenose has a very smooth painted hull...no plank lines...so to achieve this you need to provide a smooth hull. As well as posting here on SOS Bob will respond to any questions or concerns...just send him an email.

It's been a while since I made my last update but with it being winter I had to have the obligatory cold.

I'm happy to say I finished the top half of the hull and am about to start from the bottom and work my way up to the middle. For my first effort I have to say I'm pretty pleased. Some things could have been better but overall it's progressing.

IMG_20200118_112408.jpg

I'm new to model ship building and am starting with the Model Shipways Bluenose and am using Bob Hunt's practicum. Good thing too because the instructions with the kit assume I know a whole lot more than I do. Yesterday I wrapped up chapter one of the practicum. So now I have a rough hull ready to do something with. It was a major sense of accomplishment. They only real issue I had was shaping the stern block. It wasn't the actual shaping but figuring out how it was supposed to be shaped. I looked at the scale drawings which confused me even more and then I looked at the photos with the practicum and I just couldn't find a good shot of what I was looking for. After worrying about this for a couple of days I went with what I thought was right.

This is a photo before I faired the hull. The ones after I finished must still be on the camera. I'll have to check.

Hallo Rodney,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I can't believe it's August and you would think after being stuck at home for the last 6 months I would have been working on my ship. Not so much, but I did finish the planking and hope to start on the deck this week.

Dear Rodney,
Happy Birthday, Birthday-Cake :)
Wishing you lots of happiness and enjoyment of building toddlers and life,
all the BEST and

Hallo @RodneyB
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back