Caracca Atlantica by Kikatinalong Mamoli 1:54 scale

I have notice the other day that you put filler block what kind of wood did you use Question-Mark :D

Welcome Kikatinalong,
Is that the Mamoli kit of Sao Miguel that you are building? I just purchased the Mamoli Sao Miguel and I am itching to finish my current build so I can start the new one. I'll be watching yours closely. I'm on my first build too, so my opinion doesn't count for much, but it looks like you have nice smooth lines with those filler blocks in place, so I'm sure your planking should go very well. Can't wait to watch the build.
I'm also admiring the vise you have there. Did you put that together yourself?
Cheers!
Eric

Hello Kikatinalong, you have started an interesting project! I am taking the chair and will watch as your build progresses. Very smooth 'fairing', indeed!

I have notice the other day that you put filler block what kind of wood did you use Question-Mark :D
Hi Charles, I looked around on a few posts and found most were using balsa wood, bass wood or pine that wasn't very sappy, some were even using foam of varying sorts. As I had pieces of pine laying around I went with that. I had pieces of 90x18mm so I cut that to the widths required and layered them up to where required always keeping the grain heading in one direction. Balsa wood isn't cheap and I've since found that a lot of wooden blinds are made of bass, I will by a cheap throw out blind when I find one and possibly try that on my next build but the pine worked fine.
Cheers
Kikatinalong

Welcome Kikatinalong,
Is that the Mamoli kit of Sao Miguel that you are building? I just purchased the Mamoli Sao Miguel and I am itching to finish my current build so I can start the new one. I'll be watching yours closely. I'm on my first build too, so my opinion doesn't count for much, but it looks like you have nice smooth lines with those filler blocks in place, so I'm sure your planking should go very well. Can't wait to watch the build.
I'm also admiring the vise you have there. Did you put that together yourself?
Cheers!
Eric
Hi Eric, thanks 4 ur response, we might be new to this but if we're prepared to be patient and ask a lot of questions I think we can build a reasonable model. My aim is to build a great model but only time will t

Last edited:
Hi Charles, I looked around on a few posts and found most were using balsa wood, bass wood or pine that wasn't very sappy, some were even using foam of varying sorts. As I had pieces of pine laying around I went with that. I had pieces of 90x18mm so I cut that to the widths required and layered them up to where required always keeping the grain heading in one direction. Balsa wood isn't cheap and I've since found that a lot of wooden blinds are made of bass, I will by a cheap throw out blind when I find one and possibly try that on my next build but the pine worked fine.
Cheers
Kikatinalong

Usually I do not do that but your idea is appealing so I might go that way, also same as doing bearding line something I just did as per the instruction on the Syren
Always learning and improving I guest:D

In the Lisbon Museum there are some "naus" much like the older carracks that may give you some inspiration. Find here:

Good luck for your build, following with interest.

Regards

JL

Updathe main defollow the drawing bestep planking method, I'll probably fin
I also areas but I'll take that as a lesson learnt.
Nthe 1/2 deck beamfor the outer edIof planking. This was certaI will add a picture version on the left, with only the garboard strake The kit gun ports are of poor

Last edited:
Working on her at the moment
I am not following the instruction about planking only part of the main deck
The only reason I see it is the tip of the frame 5 – 6 – 7 that will have to be cut flush to the main deck and frame 8 – 9 – 10 – 11 on the castle will do the final fil of the deck plank when the hull is finish

Hi Peter,
I also built this kit quite a few years ago and as it happens with learning curves, I would do it somewhat differently today. That time I was following the building instructions as much as I could (and painted myself into the corner a few times doing that...) and also used the white metal gunport frames, which were not that bad and were easy to file after glueing them into place. But this is again something which I would do differently today. I did not put the sails on because of other considerations either. The stern galleries had been left as they were intended in the kit. At the end it turned out to be quite an acceptable model and people still like it today on exhibitions.
Janos

Hi Peter,
I also built this kit quite a few years ago and as it happens with learning curves, I would do it somewhat differently today. That time I was following the building instructions as much as I could (and painted myself into the corner a few times doing that...) and also used the white metal gunport frames, which were not that bad and were easy to file after glueing them into place. But this is again something which I would do differently today. I did not put the sails on because of other considerations either. The stern galleries had been left as they were intended in the kit. At the end it turned out to be quite an acceptable model and people still like it today on exhibitions.
Janos
Hi Janos, sounds like u have a great model. I think my kit is from the early eighties and the metal gun ports, windows and doors aren't very good so I will probably replace them all with wood as I progress further. Another member just kicked off building his Sao Miguel also, I can certainly see the difference in the quality of his laser cut parts compared to mine which may have been cut by a blind drunk monkey using a chainsaw. Nothing that can't be rectified. Would be great to see a picture of ur ship.
Cheers
Peter

Back