Carved Ship Decorations and more !

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Le Rochefort Moderator

This is a new Forum based on discussing the many techniques for Carving and Etching Images using various materials. Enjoy Carving your own Figure Heads, Stern Decorations. Your imagination is unlimited in this forum.

I hope that everyone will take advantage of this new Forum. I am sure that it will bring more variety to Ships of Scale.

Donnie

Thanks, Donnie, for creating this Forum. I hope we will have good fun here too.
Janos

Hi Donnie
I will start the discusion
Carving, a "simple" word, - but there are standing a lot of things behind, especialy for modelbuilders.
One of the problems is the question can we trust our eyes what the see, or belive to see.
I know this problem from different meetings with model ship builders and the the talks about Figureheads
Quarterpices, Taffrail decoration and so on. The next is the stile in the 17th. an 18th. Century the stile of
Baroque . How the figures and decoration elements looks like? How can I use original drawings ?
Is it possible to make correct drawings of decoration from van deVelde drawings or paintings of art,
for carving figures gunport wreats and so on.
Make it sense in smal scales to working out all details?
The next is the developement of the ships in the 17th. and 18th. Century. The decoration changed between the
periods of time.
Questions, questions, questions.
I will try to give answers and start whit my carving of the Stuart coat of arms 1675

engl.jpg

Hi Donnie
I will start the discusion
Carving, a "simple" word, - but there are standing a lot of things behind, especialy for modelbuilders.
One of the problems is the question can we trust our eyes what the see, or belive to see.
I know this problem from different meetings with model ship builders and the the talks about Figureheads
Quarterpices, Taffrail decoration and so on. The next is the stile in the 17th. an 18th. Century the stile of
Baroque . How the figures and decoration elements looks like? How can I use original drawings ?
Is it possible to make correct drawings of decoration from van deVelde drawings or paintings of art,
for carving figures gunport wreats and so on.
Make it sense in smal scales to working out all details?
The next is the developement of the ships in the 17th. and 18th. Century. The decoration changed between the
periods of time.
Questions, questions, questions.
I will try to give answers and start whit my carving of the Stuart coat of arms 1675

Just perfect! What is the size of this carving, Willy?
Janos

The Stuart Coat of arms was used on HMS ships as main decoration on stern till 1677 and I
wanted to have one as Decoration on a wall in my living room. So I carved it in big size 56 x 45 cm
I made the carving in four parts - the shield - the Lion-the Unicorn- an the rest.

Willi

wllii coat of arms 002.JPGwllii coat of arms 001.jpg

Back