Cazador Xebec 1750 - OcCre - scale 1:60 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Guys,

Just before Christmas eve, I would like to show you a little bit of progress. I was just experimenting a bit.
I've really stretched my abilities for this one, hope you like it.

Below a strip of walnut of 1x3mm and a dull blade. I made a profile in the knife and used it on the walnut.

View attachment 277801View attachment 277802View attachment 277803

Next I took the time to experiment a little bit with woodcarving. Only the size is so very small, it's hard to do.
I've collected some Castello Boxwood, unfortunately real boxwood isn't available in my area. real boxwood is much harder and better to carve is my opinion, but Castello is a nice alternative.

First I made a rough sketch of my idea and put it on paper...

View attachment 277804

After that I took some Castello.....

View attachment 277805

View attachment 277806

View attachment 277807

View attachment 277808View attachment 277809

Have a very nice Christmas everybody!

CU,
Pter
Pter! Outstanding, I love it! Really well done. Merry Christmas my friend.

Hi Guys,

Just before Christmas eve, I would like to show you a little bit of progress. I was just experimenting a bit.
I've really stretched my abilities for this one, hope you like it.

Below a strip of walnut of 1x3mm and a dull blade. I made a profile in the knife and used it on the walnut.

View attachment 277801View attachment 277802View attachment 277803

Next I took the time to experiment a little bit with woodcarving. Only the size is so very small, it's hard to do.
I've collected some Castello Boxwood, unfortunately real boxwood isn't available in my area. real boxwood is much harder and better to carve is my opinion, but Castello is a nice alternative.

First I made a rough sketch of my idea and put it on paper...

View attachment 277804

After that I took some Castello.....

View attachment 277805

View attachment 277806

View attachment 277807

View attachment 277808View attachment 277809

Have a very nice Christmas everybody!

CU,
Pter
Great ideas! Beautiful work too!

Hello Pter. I noticed you posting on a few other builds I follow so I stopped over to see what you were up to with your own build. Simply SUPERB! Planking perfection! Plywood upgrades, custom replacements for kit parts, adaptations for scale, etc. etc. Ridiculous hinges! And he carves wreaths too! Wonderful progress. I'm late to join but I'll stick around to see what I can learn.

Hello Pter. I noticed you posting on a few other builds I follow so I stopped over to see what you were up to with your own build. Simply SUPERB! Planking perfection! Plywood upgrades, custom replacements for kit parts, adaptations for scale, etc. etc. Ridiculous hinges! And he carves wreaths too! Wonderful progress. I'm late to join but I'll stick around to see what I can learn.
Thanks Doc, for your fantastic comment. I’m a bit overwhelmed.
I’m still Reading through your beautifull build of Vasa tho, but I’m getting there. A true pleasure to wrestley trough 90+ pages with crazy good painting skills. I’ll should call you “the doctor” from now on. ;)
thank you for taking the time to stop by and hopefully see you again.

just give me a bit more time to catch up with your build….It’s a pleasure reading!

regards,
Pter

Hello everybody,

All the best wishes for 2022, lots of love, health and prosperity for the new year. I'll hope you all will follow me this year, just as last year!

The shipyard was closed during the holidays, but I manage to get some ideas on paper and work them out in a pilot phase.
All the hinges of the oar hatches are placed on the ship. Then I bashed one of the cannon lids and coved it with veneer, made some real working lids and placed it on the ship. These hinges are 1mm in width and just a few mm in length, very very small. In a next update I'll show the steps how I made them.

Cazador_168.jpgCazador_169.jpgCazador_170.jpg

greets,
Pter

Off we go
To start this build, it begins with extracting the bulkhead parts from the frame. It's not a very complicated kit, by that I mean it's pretty straight forward to build for a kit of this size.

View attachment 267842

Time to put these beauties on the keelplate... All pieces fit nicely.

View attachment 267843

Next step is to place the deck on the top of the bulkheads.

View attachment 267844

View attachment 267845

I start laying the deck planks and cut the strips into fixed lengths and went for an acceptable pattern. I went for a "no-caulking" look.

View attachment 267846

View attachment 267847

View attachment 267848View attachment 267849View attachment 267850View attachment 267851View attachment 267852

When finished, I use a scraper to level the deck.

View attachment 267853

View attachment 267854

View attachment 267855

And these are the first baby steps I made for this model...
Pter
Never thought about using scrapers like that. I have either used a razor blade or just sanded it.

I like it Pter, it's the first time I've seen canon ports open from the side. Makes me wonder why it was not done more often.
Hi Daniel,
These Xebecs had no room for upwards portlids, so they constructed it sideways. I'm not sure if it was a disadvantage regarding to a vertically lowered gun portlid.

Today I experimented with making my own first gun carriage. I have to make 20 in total. I did not like the metal carriages included with the kit. The length of the carriage is 2cm or 0,78inch. I think it will make a nice addition to the ship. I still need to attach some bolts and rings to the carriage. but what do you think of the result so far?

Cazador_171.jpgCazador_172.jpgCazador_173.jpgCazador_174.jpgCazador_175.jpgCazador_176.jpg

Pter

Hello guys,

As promised I'll show you the process of making the carriages. I know that there are many ways to do this. I've seen some pretty innovative ways, using a table saw and CNC routers, however I have to do this by hand. Every single piece of wood is handcrafted with some files and sandpaper and is made individually.

So here are the pictures, hope it makes sense...

Cazador_177.jpgCazador_178.jpgCazador_179.jpgCazador_180.jpgCazador_181.jpgCazador_182.jpgCazador_183.jpgCazador_184.jpgCazador_185.jpg

Thanks for all the likes and comments. See you soon!
Pter

Back